Tomcat K8S sees one CPU as 96(?) on a single-cpu MB ??

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 10:26:19 PM

Here is a copy of my email to tech support if anyone else is having
this problem:

I have a Tomcat K8S S2850
Installed is an IDE DVD-ROM, SATA Hard Drive, and 4 512MB sticks of
ECC/Registered DDR 400, and an Opteron 150 CPU.

Heres what happens when I boot:

1. The post screen comes up normally, CPU is identified, RAM OK, CDROM
found.
(it is interesting to note that the 'Count' value is 96 (is this how
many processors it thinks I have??)
2. Sata RAID notice (which displays my SATA drive)
3. Broadcom notice.
4. System seemingly reboots, as post screen comes up again, but this
time there is a message at the bottom:

***********WARNING INCOMPATIBLE PROCESSOR***********
All processors in a multiprocessor environment must be of the same
Model and Frequency.
At least one of the processors in your system does not match the
others.
Press F1 to resume.

I press F1 and the system boots, but Linux will crash when starting
when it tries to do an IRQ probe.

Now, I can clear CMOS and get the system (and kernel!) to boot
normally *ONE TIME*, but the next time the system is rebooted it will
happen again.

I am also completely unclear about BIOS versioning.
The BIOS on the post screen is listed as 8.00.08.
The BIOS setup menu reads v02.33 at the bottom of the screen.
The BIOS update versions for this motherboard listed on the website
are v. 1.00 through v. 1.07

I dont understand how the version numbers for the BIOS updates on the
website relate to the BIOS version number, so I can tell which I have
and whether I need to upgrade it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 31, 2004 2:46:52 PM

For thsoe interested (I saw another with this problem), this was fixed
only through a beta bios upgrade from Tyan support.

!