Reformat C when XP is already installed

I rebuilt a computer and tried to install WinXP but it didn't load properly.
I get an "windows recovered from a error" message when windows loads. I want
to reformat C and start fresh but XP wont let me format C. I remember
reading somewhere how to do this but can't remember where. Can someone tell
me how to reformat C drive when WinXP is already loaded. Thank you. Mack
--
MacKenrick
13 answers Last reply

    Put the xp cd in, tap the f8 key and you should get to the options. You
    can do a repair or reinstall. Your drive should already be formatted to
    ntfs and doing a clean install would be the way to go. But...you might
    have other issues with your hard drive as well. What do you mean
    windows won't let you? just a bit more specific please.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    You probably meant to write "Put the WinXP CD in, then
    boot from this CD and allow the disk to be formatted when
    given the opportunity". Pressing F8 is used to select the
    various boot options when Windows is still more or less
    operative. It cannot be used to start a repair process.

    Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
    > You probably meant to write "Put the WinXP CD in, then
    > boot from this CD and allow the disk to be formatted when
    > given the opportunity". Pressing F8 is used to select the
    > various boot options when Windows is still more or less
    > operative. It cannot be used to start a repair process.
    >

    > "PCDaddy" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Put the xp cd in, tap the f8 key and you should get to the options.
    > You
    > > can do a repair or reinstall. Your drive should already be formatted
    > > ntfs and doing a clean install would be the way to go. But...you
    > might
    > > have other issues with your hard drive as well. What do you mean
    > > windows won't let you? just a bit more specific please.
    > >

    > > --
    > > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    i agree that i flubbed the first sentence, it should have read...Put
    the xp cd in, reboot or tap f8 to go to other options. I never said
    repair from f8, i simply meant you can do a repair or reinstall. just
    like it said. Since this person was already familiar with this but
    needed a quick reminder, i gave just that. Also this person wasn't very
    specific about why winxp won't allow him\her to reformat, so i won't
    waste time on specifics until i know more. Also, some people's posts go
    unanswered, and i give it my best guess until i know some ego maniac
    will come along and try to correct me. But at least i know their post
    might get answered then.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    In all probability, the OP has tried to 'format c' from the Command Prompt
    within Windows..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "PCDaddy" <PCDaddy.1qjyxm@> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > > have other issues with your hard drive as well. What do you mean
    > > > windows won't let you? just a bit more specific please.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
    > > >

    > i agree that i flubbed the first sentence, it should have read...Put
    > the xp cd in, reboot or tap f8 to go to other options. I never said
    > repair from f8, i simply meant you can do a repair or reinstall. just
    > like it said. Since this person was already familiar with this but
    > needed a quick reminder, i gave just that. Also this person wasn't very
    > specific about why winxp won't allow him\her to reformat, so i won't
    > waste time on specifics until i know more. Also, some people's posts go
    > unanswered, and i give it my best guess until i know some ego maniac
    > will come along and try to correct me. But at least i know their post

    You call it "ego-maniac". I call it peer review. It's the process
    that ensures that errors and oversights are corrected before they
    can cause too much confusion. My own replies have often been
    subject to this process, and I was glad about each and every one
    of them.

    "F8" .... THAT'S IT!!! Just couldn't remember that. I kept thinking F8 was
    for getting into Safe Mode but forgot that if you do it during a CD boot with
    the Windows CD you can get into the Setup. What I wanted to do was reformat
    C and start over but when I just booted from the XP CD, it just launched
    Windows. I forgot about the F8 Key.

    Thank you all for the help. Mack
    --
    MacKenrick

    Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
    > "PCDaddy" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
    > > > You probably meant to write "Put the WinXP CD in, then
    > > > boot from this CD and allow the disk to be formatted when
    > > > given the opportunity". Pressing F8 is used to select the
    > > > various boot options when Windows is still more or less
    > > > operative. It cannot be used to start a repair process.
    > > >

    > > > "PCDaddy" wrote in message

    > options.
    > > > You
    > formatted
    > > > might

    > > i agree that i flubbed the first sentence, it should have read...Put
    > > the xp cd in, reboot or tap f8 to go to other options. I never said
    > > repair from f8, i simply meant you can do a repair or reinstall. just
    > > like it said. Since this person was already familiar with this but
    > > needed a quick reminder, i gave just that. Also this person wasn't
    > very
    > > specific about why winxp won't allow him\her to reformat, so i won't
    > > waste time on specifics until i know more. Also, some people's posts
    > go
    > > unanswered, and i give it my best guess until i know some ego maniac
    > > will come along and try to correct me. But at least i know their post
    > > might get answered then.
    >
    > You call it "ego-maniac". I call it peer review. It's the process
    > that ensures that errors and oversights are corrected before they
    > can cause too much confusion. My own replies have often been
    > subject to this process, and I was glad about each and every one
    > of them.

    You misunderstand. I was not referring to you as the ego maniac because
    of the first line error, but you assume my whole answer must be bogus
    due to a mistake.You found a mistake in my first sentence but assumed a
    couple of others that were not. I admitted my first error, i have no
    problem with that. I err all the time. But i feel you were a bit hasty
    on the rest.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. We ALL get corrected.
    Some just take it with more grace than others.

    Maybe a "Sorry! You are correct!" would be appropriate here!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    Richard Urban Wrote:
    > If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. We ALL get
    > corrected.
    > Some just take it with more grace than others.
    >
    > Maybe a "Sorry! You are correct!" would be appropriate here!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban

    > "PCDaddy" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
    > >> "PCDaddy" wrote in message

    > >> options.
    > >> formatted
    > But...you
    > mean

    > read...Put
    > said
    > just
    > >> very
    > won't
    > posts
    > >> go
    > maniac
    > post
    > >>
    > >> You call it "ego-maniac". I call it peer review. It's the process
    > >> that ensures that errors and oversights are corrected before they
    > >> can cause too much confusion. My own replies have often been
    > >> subject to this process, and I was glad about each and every one
    > >> of them.
    > >
    > > You misunderstand. I was not referring to you as the ego maniac
    > because
    > > of the first line error, but you assume my whole answer must be bogus
    > > due to a mistake.You found a mistake in my first sentence but assumed
    > > couple of others that were not. I admitted my first error, i have no
    > > problem with that. I err all the time. But i feel you were a bit
    > hasty
    > > on the rest.
    > >

    > > --
    > > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Peer review and stomping on someones answer is two different things. If
    he would have said, you should have put (or), just letting you know, no
    offense, whatever. But if you would have read carefully, you would have
    seen that comments were made that i never said. Like doing a repair from
    f8. Read his answer to mine carefully and you might see that. The person
    who originally posted this got the point. He sugar coated my answer to
    sound (techy) and then proceeded to make nonexistant corrections. And
    who are YOU to tell anyone to apologize?? Maybe i should get one for
    being OVER corrected? I missed putting the word (or) in, that's all i
    did. I was told what i meant to write which was all rewritten, not just
    corrected. I wrote it the way i wanted and if you can't accept that then
    you get out of the "kitchen". To tell someone they should have written
    their whole answer in someone elses way IS having to do with ego.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    For the love of.....!!!

    From your post, split apart for clarity!

    1. Put the xp cd in, tap the f8 key and you should get to the options.

    100% correct

    2. You can do a repair or reinstall.

    Not from the menu you arrive at when you tap F8

    3. Your drive should already be formatted to ntfs

    Why would you think that? The O/P said nothing about the way his hard drive
    was formatted. A great assumption on your part.

    4. and doing a clean install would be the way to go.

    Maybe yes - maybe no, but he is not going to be able to do it from the F8
    menu!

    5. But...you might have other issues with your hard drive as well.

    Correct, he may have!

    6. What do you mean windows won't let you? just a bit more specific please.

    You can't format the Windows partition or drive while you are booted up into
    Windows. That is why Windows won't let him!

    So, you see - the O/P would never would have had a chance to install clean,
    or reinstall, his operating system based upon your instruction to "tap the
    f8 key" to get into options.

    Whether it was just an omission on your part or ignorance, I don't know - or
    really care. The fact is that your answer was WRONG! Admit the fact and get
    on with your life.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "PCDaddy" <PCDaddy.1qlppm@> wrote in message

> [...]

    > he would have said, you should have put (or), just letting you know, no
    > offense, whatever. But if you would have read carefully, you would have
    > seen that comments were made that i never said. Like doing a repair from
    > f8. Read his answer to mine carefully and you might see that. The person
    > who originally posted this got the point. He sugar coated my answer to
    > sound (techy) and then proceeded to make nonexistant corrections. And
    > who are YOU to tell anyone to apologize?? Maybe i should get one for
    > being OVER corrected? I missed putting the word (or) in, that's all i
    > did. I was told what i meant to write which was all rewritten, not just
    > corrected. I wrote it the way i wanted and if you can't accept that then
    > you get out of the "kitchen". To tell someone they should have written
    > their whole answer in someone elses way IS having to do with ego.

    I actually wrapped my comment very nicely by saying
    "You probably meant to write", thus suggesting that you
    knew exactly what you wanted to write but that somehow
    the words got in the way. I could have written "Your advice
    is incorrect", which is still polite but a lot more direct.

    As Richard suggested: This is a discussion forum, and if
    someone's advice is incorrect then he must expect an
    appropriate reply. It's all part of the learning process. If
    your tender ego takes offences at the phrase "You probably
    meant to write" then this may not be the best forum for you.

    Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
> [...]
    > > corrected. I wrote it the way i wanted and if you can't accept that
    > then
    > > you get out of the "kitchen". To tell someone they should have
    > written
    > > their whole answer in someone elses way IS having to do with ego.
    >
    > I actually wrapped my comment very nicely by saying
    > "You probably meant to write", thus suggesting that you
    > knew exactly what you wanted to write but that somehow
    > the words got in the way. I could have written "Your advice
    > is incorrect", which is still polite but a lot more direct.
    >
    > As Richard suggested: This is a discussion forum, and if
    > someone's advice is incorrect then he must expect an
    > appropriate reply. It's all part of the learning process. If
    > your tender ego takes offences at the phrase "You probably
    > meant to write" then this may not be the best forum for you.

    That's ok , I think what you meant to write is, I am sorry for
    suggesting you meant to write your whole answer differently than you
    did and making incorrect corrections to your reply. What I should have
    done was read the answer correctly and simply pointed out that you
    missed the word (or) in your answer. I am sorry for stating that F8
    won't bring you to a repair option when it was clear you didn't state
    that.

    --
    PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Put the XP cd in the drive;
    Restart the machine,
    If you haven't already - go to to BIOS and set the CD drive as a boot device
    (order it as #1), then save and exit bios,
    Reboot the machine, the CD should be accessed and the system will boot from
    the CD.
    The XP install routine will begin. among all that, will be the optionsot
    reformat, partition and convert to NTFS etc

    "Mackenrick" <Mackenrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I rebuilt a computer and tried to install WinXP but it didn't load
    >properly.
    > I get an "windows recovered from a error" message when windows loads. I
    > want
    > to reformat C and start fresh but XP wont let me format C. I remember
    > reading somewhere how to do this but can't remember where. Can someone
    > tell
    > me how to reformat C drive when WinXP is already loaded. Thank you.
    > Mack
    > --
    > MacKenrick

Windows XP