Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will this system fly???

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 3:16:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Building a rather expensive system based on a Tyan mainboard and want to
know if there are any issues I should expect...

Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
CPUs - (2) Opteron 242 retail
Memory - (4) 256meg DDR400 OCZ Registered ECC
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder PRO 128meg 8xAGP TVOut DVI
RAID card - Highpoint 1820A PCI-X 64bit 8port SATA RAID card
HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data)
DVDRW - BenQ DW822A DVDRW
Floppy - 3.5" floppy
Case - Lian-Li V2000
PSU - Antec 550watt 24pin EATX power supply
Fans - 2x80mm 2x120mm

....any issues the the above configuration?

....also, does this mainboard REQUIRE Registered ECC memory? I've had
conflicting information about this.

More about : system fly

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2004 3:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Hi,

Noozer wrote:

> Building a rather expensive system based on a Tyan mainboard and want to
> know if there are any issues I should expect...
>
> Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
> CPUs - (2) Opteron 242 retail
> Memory - (4) 256meg DDR400 OCZ Registered ECC
> Video - ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder PRO 128meg 8xAGP TVOut DVI
> RAID card - Highpoint 1820A PCI-X 64bit 8port SATA RAID card
> HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
> HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data)
> DVDRW - BenQ DW822A DVDRW
> Floppy - 3.5" floppy
> Case - Lian-Li V2000
> PSU - Antec 550watt 24pin EATX power supply
> Fans - 2x80mm 2x120mm
>
> ...any issues the the above configuration?

Sounds nice. We have the S2885 here with two Opteron 246, 8*1GB RAM, and
only 2 HDDs. The only issue was that a part of the memory space between
3GB and 4GB was hidden at first but I somehow managed to fix this. But
since you only have 2GB RAM you won't have that problem.

> ...also, does this mainboard REQUIRE Registered ECC memory? I've had
> conflicting information about this.

That doesn't depend on the mainboard but on the CPUs because the Opteron
has an integrated memory controller. All socket 940 CPUs need registered
memory (PC-2700 AFAIR). They probably won't *need* ECC but most often
registered and ECC go together. Besides apart from a slight performance
decrease ECC is a good thing.

André
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2004 1:55:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Nice specs.

Since you're not using an AGP Pro card, the Antec PS should be fine.
The Antec PS does not have the 2x3 (6-pin) AGP Pro power connector
though, so keep that in mind if you plan on using AGP Pro later.

,)`Q


On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:16:32 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:

>Building a rather expensive system based on a Tyan mainboard and want to
>know if there are any issues I should expect...
>
>Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885
>CPUs - (2) Opteron 242 retail
>Memory - (4) 256meg DDR400 OCZ Registered ECC
>Video - ATI Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder PRO 128meg 8xAGP TVOut DVI
>RAID card - Highpoint 1820A PCI-X 64bit 8port SATA RAID card
>HDD - (1) 34gig WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA drive (for OS)
>HDD - (9) 250gig Maxtor 7Y250M0 Sata drives (RAID 5 for data)
>DVDRW - BenQ DW822A DVDRW
>Floppy - 3.5" floppy
>Case - Lian-Li V2000
>PSU - Antec 550watt 24pin EATX power supply
>Fans - 2x80mm 2x120mm
>
>...any issues the the above configuration?
>
>...also, does this mainboard REQUIRE Registered ECC memory? I've had
>conflicting information about this.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2004 11:46:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

I haven't been following this thread but I was curious about the ambiguity
inherent in the title, "Will this system fly?"

One meaning is 'Will it work at all?', as in the expression 'That ain't
gonna fly'.

The other meaning is 'Will it work especially speedily?', as in the
expression 'Wow, that baby can fly!'.

Which meaning of 'fly' was originally intended?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 5:40:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

"Larry Scholnick" <Larry_Scholnick@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
news:9gtUc.5280$jf5.659@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> I haven't been following this thread but I was curious about the ambiguity
> inherent in the title, "Will this system fly?"
>
> One meaning is 'Will it work at all?', as in the expression 'That ain't
> gonna fly'.
>
> The other meaning is 'Will it work especially speedily?', as in the
> expression 'Wow, that baby can fly!'.
>
> Which meaning of 'fly' was originally intended?

Yes ... : )

Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I made any mistakes planning
the system.

The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
550watt EPS supply) and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
would 2x 512meg be just as good?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 11:09:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

system seemed fine but whats about an raid cache scsi controller , theres
more power in data transfer

Noozer schrieb in Nachricht ...
>
>"Larry Scholnick" <Larry_Scholnick@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
>news:9gtUc.5280$jf5.659@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
>> I haven't been following this thread but I was curious about the
ambiguity
>> inherent in the title, "Will this system fly?"
>>
>> One meaning is 'Will it work at all?', as in the expression 'That ain't
>> gonna fly'.
>>
>> The other meaning is 'Will it work especially speedily?', as in the
>> expression 'Wow, that baby can fly!'.
>>
>> Which meaning of 'fly' was originally intended?
>
>Yes ... : )
>
>Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I made any mistakes planning
>the system.
>
>The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
>550watt EPS supply) and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
>would 2x 512meg be just as good?
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 3:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Hi,

Noozer wrote:

> The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
> 550watt EPS supply)

Usually I'd say yes but I just don't have any experience with so many hdds.

> and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
> would 2x 512meg be just as good?

4x 256meg is definitively a good thing. Since each Opteron has its own
dual channel ram controller you only get good performance when each CPU
has two own identical memory modules.
With the Thunder K8W you can still upgrade RAM later, or you can replace
the RAM modules.

André
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 4:15:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

> > The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
> > 550watt EPS supply)
>
> Usually I'd say yes but I just don't have any experience with so many
hdds.

The RAID controller has delayed spinup, so I shouldn't have a problem.

> > and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
> > would 2x 512meg be just as good?
>
> 4x 256meg is definitively a good thing. Since each Opteron has its own
> dual channel ram controller you only get good performance when each CPU
> has two own identical memory modules.
> With the Thunder K8W you can still upgrade RAM later, or you can replace
> the RAM modules.

Good to hear! I thought that keeping two sticks per CPU would be the way to
do it, but didn't see anything definate.

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 4:16:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

How much would 2 Terabytes of SCSI drive cost???

"Lissy+Peter" <lissy.peter@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message
news:cfuo8b$f09$03$1@news.t-online.com...
> system seemed fine but whats about an raid cache scsi controller , theres
> more power in data transfer
>

> >Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I made any mistakes
planning
> >the system.
> >
> >The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
> >550watt EPS supply) and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons or
> >would 2x 512meg be just as good?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 7:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

it expensiver than sata but better performance, price depends on where you
are and how good are your conections to a distributer, but if you really
want a high speed system you should use ultra 160 or something like this
scsi disks and a good controller , for example dpt or something like this
quality


Noozer schrieb in Nachricht ...
>How much would 2 Terabytes of SCSI drive cost???
>
>"Lissy+Peter" <lissy.peter@planet-interkom.de> wrote in message
>news:cfuo8b$f09$03$1@news.t-online.com...
>> system seemed fine but whats about an raid cache scsi controller , theres
>> more power in data transfer
>>
>
>> >Just looking for opinions as to whether or not I made any mistakes
>planning
>> >the system.
>> >
>> >The only two questions I have is, will the PSU be enough (Now a Sparkle
>> >550watt EPS supply) and is 4x 256meg a good move for the dual opterons
or
>> >would 2x 512meg be just as good?
>
>
!