Dual Processor Question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2004 5:02:29 PM

I'm considering buying a dual cpu motherboard and have two slot 370
866 p3 cpus that were not bought at the same time. Would there be a
problem with them both being recognized by the board since they are
most likely not the same run number? And is there a Tyan dual that
could be recommended? I read on a newsgroup that Tyan duals were the
ones to purchase. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 12:42:59 PM

You really don't want to put these in a dual processor motherboard.
They are old and not worth keeping unless in an old machine that you
can put to use or donate for the tax deduction. Tyan does not have a
current board in production for chips that old. If they are not the
same stepping then I would not throw good maney after bad. The PIII
chips were sensitive to the stepping.

Look at the AMD Opteron or AMD Athlon MP dual boards. I've owned three
different ones and they are just rock solid and all the built in stuff
available is nice and works well. Just be sure to follow specs for
approved RAM and power supplies.

If you have a specific purpose in mind I'm sure there are many here to
come up with specific suggestions.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:02:29 GMT, nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:

>I'm considering buying a dual cpu motherboard and have two slot 370
>866 p3 cpus that were not bought at the same time.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:27:47 PM

I suggest you buy a VIA694X based dual-board in eBay. Your cpus will work,
if they are the same sub-type or the same specifications. You should visit
www.Intel.com and find out, whether the cpus have the same specs, or try it.

What is written on your cpus? (It starts at the top with Intel r.)

Shouldn't they work together I`ll buy one from you and/or get you the
matching second one.
!