K8S 2880 SATA with Windows 2003?

For completeness and in case this helps someone else...

I've just bought a Tyan K8S 2880 and have struggled to get it to load up
Windows 2003 with two WD Raptors on SATA RAID 1. Probably, much like the
post below (Dec 2003) I tried all versions of motherboard BIOSes but to know
avail. The symptoms were that I could get the install started, press F6 to
indicate I had RAID drivers to load, it would load them and then return to
the normal loading sequence whereupon when it go to load the NTFS driver the
whole thing would reset. I tried all sorts of combinations. If I got the
SATA RAID to work then Windows 2003 wouldn't install, if the SATA was in
non-RAID mode then Windows 2003 would install. If I took the motherboard to
the Beta BIOS the SATA-RAID controller wouldn't work. What I discovered was
that Windows 2003 would only load with the beta version of the Tyan 2880
BIOS, meaning that the SATA controller had to be disabled. Fortunately for
me, I had an 8-port RocketRaid controller I could use. I think I've been
through every permutation of software/versions, but, if anyone else has had
the same experience and knows how to get the on-board SATA-RAID going again
let me know..

Regards, Dave

A similiar plea for help back in December....
I'm trying to install Windows 2003 onto a new dual Opteron K8S 2880 board
with SATA. First, we can't find any options for SATA Raid. I have no idea
how to create a RAID 1 set. I saw the FAQ and installed the new bios (2.02)
and that did nothing noticable. I also downloaded the RAID Promise drivers
that the FAQ mentioned and had no luck with them.

I decided to try and setup the system without RAID and I can't find any 2003
drivers anywhere. I'm pressing F6 when 2003 setup starts and have tried the
XP drivers without luck.

Can someone tell me how to get RAID working, and failing that, where the
2003 SATA drivers are for this motherboard. Please help me before I go
crazy. I need to get this box up and running soon.

Thanks,

Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about 2880 sata windows 2003
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Are you creating a Raid 0 or Raid 1 array prior to installing W2K3?

    "Dave Stone" <daveATmsgbiz.com> wrote in message
    > For completeness and in case this helps someone else...
    >
    > I've just bought a Tyan K8S 2880 and have struggled to get it to load up
    > Windows 2003 with two WD Raptors on SATA RAID 1. Probably, much like the
    > post below (Dec 2003) I tried all versions of motherboard BIOSes but to
    know
    > avail. The symptoms were that I could get the install started, press F6 to
    > indicate I had RAID drivers to load, it would load them and then return to
    > the normal loading sequence whereupon when it go to load the NTFS driver
    the
    > whole thing would reset. I tried all sorts of combinations. If I got the
    > SATA RAID to work then Windows 2003 wouldn't install, if the SATA was in
    > non-RAID mode then Windows 2003 would install. If I took the motherboard
    > the Beta BIOS the SATA-RAID controller wouldn't work. What I discovered
    was
    > that Windows 2003 would only load with the beta version of the Tyan 2880
    > BIOS, meaning that the SATA controller had to be disabled. Fortunately for
    > me, I had an 8-port RocketRaid controller I could use. I think I've been
    > through every permutation of software/versions, but, if anyone else has
    had
    > the same experience and knows how to get the on-board SATA-RAID going
    again
    > let me know..
    >
    > Regards, Dave
    >
    > A similiar plea for help back in December....
    > I'm trying to install Windows 2003 onto a new dual Opteron K8S 2880 board
    > with SATA. First, we can't find any options for SATA Raid. I have no idea
    > how to create a RAID 1 set. I saw the FAQ and installed the new bios
    (2.02)
    > and that did nothing noticable. I also downloaded the RAID Promise drivers
    > that the FAQ mentioned and had no luck with them.
    >
    > I decided to try and setup the system without RAID and I can't find any
    2003
    > drivers anywhere. I'm pressing F6 when 2003 setup starts and have tried
    the
    > XP drivers without luck.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to get RAID working, and failing that, where the
    > 2003 SATA drivers are for this motherboard. Please help me before I go
    > crazy. I need to get this box up and running soon.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Brian

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Raid 1.

    "Rowdy" <Rowdy@rowdy.com> wrote in message
    > Are you creating a Raid 0 or Raid 1 array prior to installing W2K3?
    >
    > "Dave Stone" <daveATmsgbiz.com> wrote in message
    >> For completeness and in case this helps someone else...
    >>
    >> I've just bought a Tyan K8S 2880 and have struggled to get it to load up
    >> Windows 2003 with two WD Raptors on SATA RAID 1. Probably, much like the
    >> post below (Dec 2003) I tried all versions of motherboard BIOSes but to
    > know
    >> avail. The symptoms were that I could get the install started, press F6
    >> indicate I had RAID drivers to load, it would load them and then return
    >> the normal loading sequence whereupon when it go to load the NTFS driver
    > the
    >> whole thing would reset. I tried all sorts of combinations. If I got the
    >> SATA RAID to work then Windows 2003 wouldn't install, if the SATA was in
    >> non-RAID mode then Windows 2003 would install. If I took the motherboard
    >> the Beta BIOS the SATA-RAID controller wouldn't work. What I discovered
    > was
    >> that Windows 2003 would only load with the beta version of the Tyan 2880
    >> BIOS, meaning that the SATA controller had to be disabled. Fortunately
    >> for
    >> me, I had an 8-port RocketRaid controller I could use. I think I've been
    >> through every permutation of software/versions, but, if anyone else has
    > had
    >> the same experience and knows how to get the on-board SATA-RAID going
    > again
    >> let me know..
    >>
    >> Regards, Dave
    >>
    >> A similiar plea for help back in December....
    >> I'm trying to install Windows 2003 onto a new dual Opteron K8S 2880 board
    >> with SATA. First, we can't find any options for SATA Raid. I have no idea
    >> how to create a RAID 1 set. I saw the FAQ and installed the new bios
    > (2.02)
    >> and that did nothing noticable. I also downloaded the RAID Promise
    >> drivers
    >> that the FAQ mentioned and had no luck with them.
    >>
    >> I decided to try and setup the system without RAID and I can't find any
    > 2003
    >> drivers anywhere. I'm pressing F6 when 2003 setup starts and have tried
    > the
    >> XP drivers without luck.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to get RAID working, and failing that, where the
    >> 2003 SATA drivers are for this motherboard. Please help me before I go
    >> crazy. I need to get this box up and running soon.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >> Brian

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "Dave Stone" <daveATmsgbiz.com> wrote in message
    > For completeness and in case this helps someone else...
    >
    > I've just bought a Tyan K8S 2880 and have struggled to get it to load up
    > Windows 2003 with two WD Raptors on SATA RAID 1.

    For RAID 1 W2K3's intrinsic SW RAID 1 is often the better choice. That's
    how I run RAID 1 on dual Raptors on a P4C800-E Dlx on SBS2K3. Just hook the
    two SATA drives as JBOD to the mobo and load W2K3. Then sometime later make
    em dynamic and RAID 1 and you're done. There is no RAID processor overhead
    to speak of in RAID 1 and the mobo's RAID1 is SW/firmware anyway. So keep
    it all MS.

NAS / RAID Windows Server 2003 SATA Motherboards