Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse single-click is
interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this behaviour is not 100%
of the time).

This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon will open the
program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in Explorer will
immediately run the app (most of the time).

Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General > "Double-click to open an item
(single-click to select" is selected

I've restarted my box a few times.

I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse does not have its
own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows drivers. For months,
I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.

Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held down for an
instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ? But if I'm
really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem still occurs.

Thanks for any help or ideas on how to solve this.

try using a different mouse.

"John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
> Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse single-click is
> interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this behaviour is not
> 100% of the time).
>

> This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon will open the
> program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in Explorer will
> immediately run the app (most of the time).
>

> Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General > "Double-click to open an
> item (single-click to select" is selected
>

> I've restarted my box a few times.
>

> I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse does not have
> its own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows drivers. For
> months, I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.
>

> Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held down for an
> instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ? But if I'm
> really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem still occurs.
>

> Thanks for any help or ideas on how to solve this.

They're $50 each. 3M has a patent.

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
> try using a different mouse.
>

> "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse single-click is
>> interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this behaviour is not
>> 100% of the time).
>>

>> This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon will open the
>> program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in Explorer will
>> immediately run the app (most of the time).
>>

>> Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General > "Double-click to open an
>> item (single-click to select" is selected
>>

>> I've restarted my box a few times.
>>

>> I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse does not have
>> its own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows drivers. For
>> months, I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.
>>

>> Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held down for an
>> instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ? But if I'm
>> really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem still occurs.
>>

>> Thanks for any help or ideas on how to solve this.

Malke

"John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote:

> They're $50 each. 3M has a patent.
>

> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> try using a different mouse.
>>

>> "John Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse single-click is
>>> interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this behaviour is
>>> not 100% of the time).
>>>

>>> This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon will open
>>> the program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in
>>> Explorer will immediately run the app (most of the time).
>>>

>>> Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General > "Double-click to open
>>> an
>>> item (single-click to select" is selected
>>>

>>> I've restarted my box a few times.
>>>

>>> I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse does not
>>> have
>>> its own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows drivers.
>>> For months, I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.
>>>

>>> Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held down for
>>> an
>>> instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ? But if
>>> I'm really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem still
>>> occurs.

Try the mouse on a different computer. If you don't have a second
computer, sweet-talk a friend into using theirs. If the mouse exhibits
the same symptoms, I'm afraid the mouse itself has broken.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:07:34 -0700, John Grandy wrote:

> Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse single-click is
> interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this behaviour is not 100%
> of the time).
>

> This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon will open the
> program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in Explorer will
> immediately run the app (most of the time).
>

> Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General > "Double-click to open an item
> (single-click to select" is selected
>

> I've restarted my box a few times.
>

> I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse does not have its
> own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows drivers. For months,
> I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.
>

> Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held down for an
> instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ? But if I'm
> really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem still occurs.
>

> Thanks for any help or ideas on how to solve this.

I'm inclined to agree that this is a problem with the mouse but have you
tried adjusting settings for mouse speed/double click speed in Control
Panel> Mouse?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Sharon F" wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:07:34 -0700, John Grandy wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got XP Pro SP2 into a state where a mouse
> single-click is
> > interpreted as a double-click - most of the time (this
> behaviour is not 100%
> > of the time).
> >

> > This applies everywhere, so single-clicking a desktop icon
> will open the
> > program (most of the time), single-clicking a file-name in
> Explorer will
> > immediately run the app (most of the time).
> >

> > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > General >
> "Double-click to open an item
> > (single-click to select" is selected
> >

> > I've restarted my box a few times.
> >

> > I am using a 3M Ergonomic Mouse on a USB port. This mouse
> does not have its
> > own proprietary drivers - it uses the standard windows
> drivers. For months,
> > I didn't have any problems with this mouse on this box.
> >

> > Could this be a hardware issue, where a single-click held
> down for an
> > instant too long is being interpreted as a double-click ?
> But if I'm
> > really quick and light on the button clicks, the problem
> still occurs.
> >

> > Thanks for any help or ideas on how to solve this.
>
> I'm inclined to agree that this is a problem with the mouse
> but have you
> tried adjusting settings for mouse speed/double click speed in
> Control
> Panel> Mouse?
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I am having the same mouse trouble you described. I click my mouse
once and it is interpreted as a double-click -- most of the time. The
only thing I notice different about our cases is the type of mouse.
Did you find a solution to the problem, or was it as suspected, a
problem with your mouse?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-whacko-mouse-ftopict545623.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1742202

On 25 Jun 2005 22:36:28 -0400, marchino53 wrote:

> I am having the same mouse trouble you described. I click my mouse
> once and it is interpreted as a double-click -- most of the time. The
> only thing I notice different about our cases is the type of mouse.
> Did you find a solution to the problem, or was it as suspected, a
> problem with your mouse?
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Actually, I wasn't having a problem with my mouse. The beginning of my post
was a quote of another person relating their mouse problem. I don't know if
they've found a solution yet or not.

My recommendation was to check mouse settings in Control Panel. The double
click speed may need to be moved down a notch.

Someone else recommended trying the mouse on another computer to see if it
exhibits the same behavior in a different setup/environment. If it does,
the mouse is probably not quite right. Replacement may be the only answer.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Sharon F" wrote:
>On 25 Jun 2005 22:36:28 -0400, marchino53 wrote:
>
>> I am having the same mouse trouble you described. I click my mouse
>> once and it is interpreted as a double-click -- most of the time.
>The
>> only thing I notice different about our cases is the type of mouse.

>> Did you find a solution to the problem, or was it as suspected, a
>> problem with your mouse?
>>
>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Actually, I wasn’t having a problem with my mouse. The beginning
>of my post
>was a quote of another person relating their mouse problem. I
>don’t know if
>they’ve found a solution yet or not.
>
>My recommendation was to check mouse settings in Control Panel. The
>double
>click speed may need to be moved down a notch.
>
>Someone else recommended trying the mouse on another computer to see
>if it
>exhibits the same behavior in a different setup/environment. If it
>does,
>the mouse is probably not quite right. Replacement may be the only
>answer.

My roommate (who has a MS Intellipoint mouse) and I (with a GE optical
mouse) have this same problem. It is a problem that seems to have
started within the past one or two months (not sure exactly how long
ago it started). Perhaps it was another download from MS other than
the SP2. I have SP2 installed my roommate has refused to download
that Service Pack from day one of its release.

This issue has very little to do with the double-click speed in the
mouse settings within the control panel because that setting is for
how slow (or not so slow ;-) you can double-click the mouse button
for it be viewed as double click. The problem here is that we do not
have a setting that can filter out VERY rapid clicks from the mouse
button. Perhaps the mouse button is bouncing (as it has done in the
past on a few clicks now and then) within a fraction of a second and
it is NOW being viewed as a double-click.

I have seen this problem mentioned on other web sites and there
appears to be no solution yet. Re-installing the mouse
driver/software does not appear to help. And changing the
double-click speeds have been tried also (slow to fast) and this does
not help (as I thought it wouldn’t before I tried it :roll:

Please, any other ideas/suggestions that could tackle this ultra-fast
double-click problem? Any assistance would be appreciated. Kind
regards.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-whacko-mouse-ftopict545623.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1753664

On 4 Jul 2005 04:36:45 -0400, rodagu116 wrote:

> My roommate (who has a MS Intellipoint mouse) and I (with a GE optical
> mouse) have this same problem. It is a problem that seems to have
> started within the past one or two months (not sure exactly how long
> ago it started). Perhaps it was another download from MS other than
> the SP2. I have SP2 installed my roommate has refused to download
> that Service Pack from day one of its release.
>
> This issue has very little to do with the double-click speed in the
> mouse settings within the control panel because that setting is for
> how slow (or not so slow ;-) you can double-click the mouse button
> for it be viewed as double click. The problem here is that we do not
> have a setting that can filter out VERY rapid clicks from the mouse
> button. Perhaps the mouse button is bouncing (as it has done in the
> past on a few clicks now and then) within a fraction of a second and
> it is NOW being viewed as a double-click.
>
> I have seen this problem mentioned on other web sites and there
> appears to be no solution yet. Re-installing the mouse
> driver/software does not appear to help. And changing the
> double-click speeds have been tried also (slow to fast) and this does
> not help (as I thought it wouldn’t before I tried it :roll:
>
> Please, any other ideas/suggestions that could tackle this ultra-fast
> double-click problem? Any assistance would be appreciated. Kind
> regards.

Some of the mouse drivers offer sensitivity and/or acceleration settings in
addition to the double click speed. Whether or not you have those settings
just depends if it's just included (or not) with the driver or software
that is installed. Sometimes you find it in one version of drivers and
software but not in others. Unfortunately, trying out different drivers
could end up being a fruitless experiment.

When using a mouse that's a little squirrelly, I'll switch out drivers: If
using the drivers supplied by the OEM - uninstall and use the generic
drivers provided by XP. Sometimes this helps, sometimes not.

If the mouse is wireless, consider the interference angle. If possible, try
switching to a different channel on the receiver. Could also try moving the
receiver to different spots to find one more shielded/more reliable.

If the mouse is wired, give it a good cleaning especially around the click
buttons.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have a similar problem with my wireless desktop optical mouse - but
the double click occurs as soon as I move the muose after a single
click. It makes it almost impoosible to accurately cut and paste and
using graphics programs is a nightmare. Using the control panel mouse
properties, activities, double click, even set at the slowest speed if
I left click on the icon and then move the mouse it immediately
'double-clicks'

Any ideas???????????????

On 25 Jul 2005 03:36:49 -0700, google@crofter.com wrote:

> I have a similar problem with my wireless desktop optical mouse - but
> the double click occurs as soon as I move the muose after a single
> click. It makes it almost impoosible to accurately cut and paste and
> using graphics programs is a nightmare. Using the control panel mouse
> properties, activities, double click, even set at the slowest speed if
> I left click on the icon and then move the mouse it immediately
> 'double-clicks'

What's set under Folder Options> General? Single click or Double click?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User