Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 - Can't get Highpoint BIOS and SI S..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2004 7:56:15 PM

Might be a stupid question, but...

Mainboard is a K8W S2885 that has a Silicon Image 3114 chip onboard. I have
added a Highpoint 1820A SATA RAID controller card into one of the PCI-X
slots.

When I have the CMOS settings configured to scan "Last to First" on the PCI
Configuration screen, the Highpoint BIOS does not appear during boot and I
cannot make any changes/etc to my RAID configuration. The Highpoint BIOS
doesn't initialize.

When this is set to scan "First to Last" the Highpoint BIOS initializes and
I can configure my array without a problem, but then the SI3114 BIOS doesn't
initialize and my SATA HDD's connected to the mainboard are not seen as a
boot choice in the CMOS settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to correct this?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2004 12:24:45 AM

> When I have the CMOS settings configured to scan "Last to First" on the
PCI
> Configuration screen, the Highpoint BIOS does not appear during boot and I
> cannot make any changes/etc to my RAID configuration. The Highpoint BIOS
> doesn't initialize.
>
> When this is set to scan "First to Last" the Highpoint BIOS initializes
and
> I can configure my array without a problem, but then the SI3114 BIOS
doesn't
> initialize and my SATA HDD's connected to the mainboard are not seen as a
> boot choice in the CMOS settings.

BIOS update from Tyan resolved this issue. Now both BIOSs start properly.
Their order depends on which direction the PCI bus is scanned, but both
work.

....but now for another problem... and another posting.
June 11, 2009 2:42:11 AM

I had troubles using my raid controllers at the same time as the onboard controller when Mac Lan Bridge was enabled, i just didnt have enough op rom space. Disable mac lan bridge on your second ethernet controller, it might just help you be able to load your raid card, hope it helps. This solution works on Tyan S2885, S2892, and possibly quite a few socket 940 boards that have the nvidia chipset.
June 20, 2009 2:27:23 AM

how does this mother (tyan thunder k8w s2885) compare to other dual MP 290 opteron, agp motherboards? i'm thinking about purchasing it, becuase it seems to be, at least from all the reviews i've read to be the last good agp workstation'server boards? i need it to support my nvidia quadro fx 4000 card.
!