S2466 (Tyan Tiger MPX) Recurrant BIOS Troubles

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here's the story - Every now and then I've had trouble upon booting
my machine whereby the POST screen will hang just after 'Video BIOS
Shadowed' appears. Sometimes it will hang for ages and sometimes its
fine. Also after booting into windows I would find that I the disk
drives(s) wired to the secondary IDE channel are not there. Upon
rebboting and entering the BIOS settings I would find that both
secondary master and slave are set as 'NONE' even though I have
manually set these up so that they use the correct DMA settings (using
auto sets only PIO mode). This never happens with the primary IDE
channel(s).

Gettings things to work again is a hit and miss story. Sometimes I'll
just set the Secondary channel up again as it was and things are ok.
Sometimes they've reset themselves to 'NONE' after I have saved BIOS
setting, rebooted and re-entered the BIOS setup. I've tried unplugging
devices, changing cables, clearing the CMOS. Sometimes these actions
work but there is never a clear cut solution, it's just a case of
messing around until the BIOS finally gives in and lets my IDE devices
appear.

This issue would recur every couple of months or so over the last
couple of years however, lately it's as if every time I boot the
machine this is happening. It's even happening quite often when I am
booted into windows, my hard disk and CD-ROM wired to the Secondary
IDE channel will juat disappear and seeing as I store my program
files on this drive, I'mm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this
is. I have made no hardware or software changes in order for these
issues to occur. If anyoe has any suggestions or information on this
issue, I'd be grateful for your input. Please see my system
specs/setup below.

System Specifications:

S2466 Tyan Tiger MPX Mainboard
2x AMD Athlon MP 1800+
On primary IDE - Master: 30Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 - Slave: 80Gb
Seagate Barracuda IV
On Secondary IDE - Master: 80Gb Seagate Barracuda IV - Slave: Yamaha
CDRW-F1
ATI Radeon 9600XT
Yamaha DSP Factory
Realtek 8139D Ethernet Card
1GB Crucial 'All the trimmings' RAM
Enermax 550W PSU

When is the last time you replaced the battery?

"zippy" <polygonwrong@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> Here's the story - Every now and then I've had trouble upon booting
> my machine whereby the POST screen will hang just after 'Video BIOS
> Shadowed' appears. Sometimes it will hang for ages and sometimes its
> fine. Also after booting into windows I would find that I the disk
> drives(s) wired to the secondary IDE channel are not there. Upon
> rebboting and entering the BIOS settings I would find that both
> secondary master and slave are set as 'NONE' even though I have
> manually set these up so that they use the correct DMA settings (using
> auto sets only PIO mode). This never happens with the primary IDE
> channel(s).
>
> Gettings things to work again is a hit and miss story. Sometimes I'll
> just set the Secondary channel up again as it was and things are ok.
> Sometimes they've reset themselves to 'NONE' after I have saved BIOS
> setting, rebooted and re-entered the BIOS setup. I've tried unplugging
> devices, changing cables, clearing the CMOS. Sometimes these actions
> work but there is never a clear cut solution, it's just a case of
> messing around until the BIOS finally gives in and lets my IDE devices
> appear.
>
> This issue would recur every couple of months or so over the last
> couple of years however, lately it's as if every time I boot the
> machine this is happening. It's even happening quite often when I am
> booted into windows, my hard disk and CD-ROM wired to the Secondary
> IDE channel will juat disappear and seeing as I store my program
> files on this drive, I'mm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this
> is. I have made no hardware or software changes in order for these
> issues to occur. If anyoe has any suggestions or information on this
> issue, I'd be grateful for your input. Please see my system
> specs/setup below.
>
> System Specifications:
>
> S2466 Tyan Tiger MPX Mainboard
> 2x AMD Athlon MP 1800+
> On primary IDE - Master: 30Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 - Slave: 80Gb
> Seagate Barracuda IV
> On Secondary IDE - Master: 80Gb Seagate Barracuda IV - Slave: Yamaha
> CDRW-F1
> ATI Radeon 9600XT
> Yamaha DSP Factory
> Realtek 8139D Ethernet Card
> 1GB Crucial 'All the trimmings' RAM
> Enermax 550W PSU

Which version of the motherboard do you actually have, the
S2466 N or the S2466 N-4M? Which BIOS version do you have?
Judging from the comment on the BIOS 4.06 release for the S2466 N-4M,
there is apparently a bug in the BIOS 4.05 for this board where the BIOS
can clear the BIOS CMOS RAM in some cases.

"TYAN Tiger MPX ( S2466N-4M ) V4.06 New features and Fixes : Fixes
bios resetting during reboot issue. Fixes hang on shutdown issue when
no keyboard is present."

Tomas Lindén
------------
Tomas-Linden-at-Helsinki-FI@No.Spams.To.FI

Kaptain Kludge <zonf3@hotmail.com> wrote:

: When is the last time you replaced the battery?

: "zippy" <polygonwrong@hotpop.com> wrote in message
: news:57107d24.0409011300.389ee5d7@posting.google.com...
:> Here's the story - Every now and then I've had trouble upon booting
:> my machine whereby the POST screen will hang just after 'Video BIOS
:> Shadowed' appears. Sometimes it will hang for ages and sometimes its
:> fine. Also after booting into windows I would find that I the disk
:> drives(s) wired to the secondary IDE channel are not there. Upon
:> rebboting and entering the BIOS settings I would find that both
:> secondary master and slave are set as 'NONE' even though I have
:> manually set these up so that they use the correct DMA settings (using
:> auto sets only PIO mode). This never happens with the primary IDE
:> channel(s).
:>
[...]

Sorry for late reply.

Never replaced the battery in 2 years and if it's down to that, I'll
eat my cat. These troubles have been apparent not too far from the
start so I wouldn't have expected the battery to be at fault. I'm not
sure battery failure would expalin all these symptoms too but I might
be wrong.

It's just the S2466 N too. Eek!

Tomas Linden <Address@MySig.com> wrote in message news:<chd7up$odo$1@oravannahka.helsinki.fi>...
> [...]
> :> booted into windows, my hard disk and CD-ROM wired to the Secondary
> :> IDE channel will juat disappear and seeing as I store my program
> :> files on this drive, I'mm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this
> :> is. I have made no hardware or software changes in order for these
> :> issues to occur. If anyoe has any suggestions or information on this
> :> issue, I'd be grateful for your input. Please see my system
> :> specs/setup below.
> :>
> :> System Specifications:
> :>
> :> S2466 Tyan Tiger MPX Mainboard
> :> 2x AMD Athlon MP 1800+
> :> On primary IDE - Master: 30Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 - Slave: 80Gb
> :> Seagate Barracuda IV
> :> On Secondary IDE - Master: 80Gb Seagate Barracuda IV - Slave: Yamaha

It may or may not be a battery. I have had bad batteries out of the box. I
suggest it because it is a cheap thing to check since batteries need to be
replaced anyway.