DVD/CD-RW Drive won't read CDs

I have a Dell Laptop with a Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo drive. The drive worked
perfectly till a couple of days back. Now I can only play DVDs. The drive
refuses to recognize any CDs (Audio, video or data).

Device manager says DVD/CD-RW Drive is working fine but windows explorer
says drive is empty when there is a CD in the drive.

I have tried cleaning it but it refuses to work.

Please help.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about drive read

    zooropa wrote:

    > I have a Dell Laptop with a Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo drive. The drive
    > worked perfectly till a couple of days back. Now I can only play DVDs.
    > The drive refuses to recognize any CDs (Audio, video or data).
    >
    > Device manager says DVD/CD-RW Drive is working fine but windows
    > explorer says drive is empty when there is a CD in the drive.
    >
    > I have tried cleaning it but it refuses to work.

    The functions to read cd's and dvd's are handled by two separate
    hardware components in your drive. Apparently the cd part has died.
    Call Dell tech support. I have a vague memory of someone posting
    somewhere and saying there have been issues with these Samsung drives.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Sometime on, or about Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:47:01 -0700, zooropa wrote:

    > I have a Dell Laptop with a Samsung DVD/CD-RW combo drive. The drive worked
    > perfectly till a couple of days back. Now I can only play DVDs. The drive
    > refuses to recognize any CDs (Audio, video or data).
    >
    > Device manager says DVD/CD-RW Drive is working fine but windows explorer
    > says drive is empty when there is a CD in the drive.
    >
    > I have tried cleaning it but it refuses to work.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks

    I had the same thing happen to me with a Sony DVD RW drive. It would read
    DVD's, but not CD's. Happened all of a sudden, just like in your situation.
    It was a bad drive... Sony RMA'd it and the replacement drive works fine.

    Sam
    --
    To email me, please get rid of the BS first

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP