Secondary IDE controller not working on 2466-4M

Hello, all,

For years I didn't need it, but yesterday I tried to install a
DVD-burner on my trusty S2466-4M's secondary IDE controller and it wasn't
found. OK, I figured, probably the new cable is bad, so I checked it with
a known good cable. No dice, the drive doesn't appear. Hmmmm. Check the
BIOS options: both controllers ARE turned on, and even setting the BIOS to
explicitly turn on the secondary controller doesn't do anything. Are
there any known gotcha's on this board for this sort of a problem? I'm
running the 4.06 BIOS.

Thanks,
Scott
1 answer Last reply
More about secondary controller working 2466
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    <NsdoO (at) S.visiP.AcomM> wrote in message
    > Hello, all,
    >
    > For years I didn't need it, but yesterday I tried to install a
    > DVD-burner on my trusty S2466-4M's secondary IDE controller and it wasn't
    > found. OK, I figured, probably the new cable is bad, so I checked it with
    > a known good cable. No dice, the drive doesn't appear. Hmmmm. Check the
    > BIOS options: both controllers ARE turned on, and even setting the BIOS to
    > explicitly turn on the secondary controller doesn't do anything. Are
    > there any known gotcha's on this board for this sort of a problem? I'm
    > running the 4.06 BIOS.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    You may need to play around with the master/slave settings on the DVD
    burner. My pioneer A04 will detect if it's the master but takes about 30
    seconds (takes the same time wether there is a slave present or not), it
    wont detect if it's a slave by itself yet detects instantly if it's the
    slave with something else connected to the master. This happens on both
    primary and secondary controllers for me. You could also test the controller
    is working by moving the cable you have in the Primary to the Secondary
    connector and see that it then detects those devices OK.

    Michael S.

BIOS Controller Cable Motherboards