Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IEEE 1394b Device Detection Issue XP SP2

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 14, 2005 7:01:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

has any one run into IEEE 1394b device detection problems?

The Problem
Windows XP Service pack 2 fails to detect multiple IEEE 1394b devices
properly.
When multiple IEEE 1394 devices (DVD Recorders) are first attached to a
Windows based system device manager detects them but initially one of them
has a yellow mark on it which over a period of time (roughly 2-3 minutes)
propagates to all 4 of the newly attached devices. The devices will work If
you cycle the power on them after all 4 devices have a yellow mark on them.
If you don't wait until all for devices have a yellow mark on them before the
power is cycled the devices will not be properly detected even after a power
reset or reboot. Once the recorders are detected properly the system seems to
function without any problems, unless you swap out the IEEE 1394 host adapter
or DVD recorder.

The following message is being logged into the system event log; Event ID 4
source "Sbp2port" Description "Driver detected an internal error in its data
structure"

Any Ideas
--
Snazzzz
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:43:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?= Wrote:
> has any one run into IEEE 1394b device detection problems?
>
> The Problem
> Windows XP Service pack 2 fails to detect multiple IEEE 1394b devices
> properly.
> When multiple IEEE 1394 devices (DVD Recorders) are first attached to a
> Windows based system device manager detects them but initially one of
> them
> has a yellow mark on it which over a period of time (roughly 2-3
> minutes)
> propagates to all 4 of the newly attached devices. The devices will
> work If
> you cycle the power on them after all 4 devices have a yellow mark on
> them.
> If you don't wait until all for devices have a yellow mark on them
> before the
> power is cycled the devices will not be properly detected even after a
> power
> reset or reboot. Once the recorders are detected properly the system
> seems to
> function without any problems, unless you swap out the IEEE 1394 host
> adapter
> or DVD recorder.
>
> The following message is being logged into the system event log; Event
> ID 4
> source "Sbp2port" Description "Driver detected an internal error in its
> data
> structure"
>
> Any Ideas
> --
> Snazzzz

In a hardware configuration where multiple 1394 buses are joined (also
known as bridged), Microsoft does not guarantee that 1394 devices
attached to either side of the bridge will behave the same as devices
attached on the local 1394 bus. This feature is under review and will
be considered for inclusion in a future release.

I truly can't say this is your problem or that it completely applies to
you, but it was the closest find. (If) this is the cause then at least
it might not be your pc.


--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 15, 2005 11:43:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The devices are bridged, I’ll try to connect each recorder individually and
see what happens. I’ll post the results.

Thanks for the information
Is this information on Microsoft’s web site?



--
Snazzzz


"PCDaddy" wrote:

>
> =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?= Wrote:
> > has any one run into IEEE 1394b device detection problems?
> >
> > The Problem
> > Windows XP Service pack 2 fails to detect multiple IEEE 1394b devices
> > properly.
> > When multiple IEEE 1394 devices (DVD Recorders) are first attached to a
> > Windows based system device manager detects them but initially one of
> > them
> > has a yellow mark on it which over a period of time (roughly 2-3
> > minutes)
> > propagates to all 4 of the newly attached devices. The devices will
> > work If
> > you cycle the power on them after all 4 devices have a yellow mark on
> > them.
> > If you don't wait until all for devices have a yellow mark on them
> > before the
> > power is cycled the devices will not be properly detected even after a
> > power
> > reset or reboot. Once the recorders are detected properly the system
> > seems to
> > function without any problems, unless you swap out the IEEE 1394 host
> > adapter
> > or DVD recorder.
> >
> > The following message is being logged into the system event log; Event
> > ID 4
> > source "Sbp2port" Description "Driver detected an internal error in its
> > data
> > structure"
> >
> > Any Ideas
> > --
> > Snazzzz
>
> In a hardware configuration where multiple 1394 buses are joined (also
> known as bridged), Microsoft does not guarantee that 1394 devices
> attached to either side of the bridge will behave the same as devices
> attached on the local 1394 bus. This feature is under review and will
> be considered for inclusion in a future release.
>
> I truly can't say this is your problem or that it completely applies to
> you, but it was the closest find. (If) this is the cause then at least
> it might not be your pc.
>
>
> --
> PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 1:25:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft
products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem
was first corrected in Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). and screwed up in (SP2)
'KB311430' (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311430)
You can revert back to SP1 drivers for certain devices. How
Sbp2port.sys was changed to non-functional in SP2, is a mystery to me.
Best,
Treeman


--
Treeman


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870536845
June 15, 2005 1:25:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Do you know if Microsoft has confirmed that this is an Issue in SP2? This KB
article isn’t clear on whether this is a problem in SP2.

Treeman, have you run into this problem?


FYI,
I opened a case with Microsoft 5 weeks ago they keep telling me that they
are researching the issue, all talk very little action.

I tried connecting each device to a separate host adapter, still having the
same problem.


Thanks

-- Snazzzz


"Treeman" wrote:

>
> STATUS
> Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft
> products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem
> was first corrected in Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and
> Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). and screwed up in (SP2)
> 'KB311430' (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311430)
> You can revert back to SP1 drivers for certain devices. How
> Sbp2port.sys was changed to non-functional in SP2, is a mystery to me.
> Best,
> Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870536845
>
>
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:02:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?= Wrote:
> The devices are bridged, I’ll try to connect each recorder
> individually and
> see what happens. I’ll post the results.
>
> Thanks for the information
> Is this information on Microsoft’s web site?
>
>
>
> --
> Snazzzz
>
>
> "PCDaddy" wrote:
>
> >
> > =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?= Wrote:
> > > has any one run into IEEE 1394b device detection problems?
> > >
> > > The Problem
> > > Windows XP Service pack 2 fails to detect multiple IEEE 1394b
> devices
> > > properly.
> > > When multiple IEEE 1394 devices (DVD Recorders) are first attached
> to a
> > > Windows based system device manager detects them but initially one
> of
> > > them
> > > has a yellow mark on it which over a period of time (roughly 2-3
> > > minutes)
> > > propagates to all 4 of the newly attached devices. The devices will
> > > work If
> > > you cycle the power on them after all 4 devices have a yellow mark
> on
> > > them.
> > > If you don't wait until all for devices have a yellow mark on them
> > > before the
> > > power is cycled the devices will not be properly detected even
> after a
> > > power
> > > reset or reboot. Once the recorders are detected properly the
> system
> > > seems to
> > > function without any problems, unless you swap out the IEEE 1394
> host
> > > adapter
> > > or DVD recorder.
> > >
> > > The following message is being logged into the system event log;
> Event
> > > ID 4
> > > source "Sbp2port" Description "Driver detected an internal error in
> its
> > > data
> > > structure"
> > >
> > > Any Ideas
> > > --
> > > Snazzzz
> >
> > In a hardware configuration where multiple 1394 buses are joined
> (also
> > known as bridged), Microsoft does not guarantee that 1394 devices
> > attached to either side of the bridge will behave the same as devices
> > attached on the local 1394 bus. This feature is under review and will
> > be considered for inclusion in a future release.
> >
> > I truly can't say this is your problem or that it completely applies
> to
> > you, but it was the closest find. (If) this is the cause then at
> least
> > it might not be your pc.
> >
> >
> > --
> > PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
> >
> >

Yes the info is on MS. I copied and pasted it directly.
http://tinyurl.com/cuaks


Here is the link. Good luck.


--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I was told that they are looking into the issue also. A hotfix may be in
the future.
"I opened a case with Microsoft 5 weeks ago."
It's a long way from Redmond to India!
Best,
Treeman


--
Treeman


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870536845
!