Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 - BIOS - Large Capacity Drive

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 12:46:19 PM

Hi,
I have a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854. I have flashed the bios (AWARE bios)
up to version v1.07. My OS is Windows 2000 SP4 (which enables drive of
137.5 Gb or greater). I've just bought a Seagate 200gb and haven't
installed it yet... i have just read about the 48-bit addressing
thing.

What is the HD capacity limit? Does the BIOS allow hd with capacity
greater than 137.5Gb? If not, what are my options? Can it be solved
through a software (i guess upgrading the chip or something like that
would be almost as expensive as changing motherboard) ?

Thank you,
Sebastien
October 20, 2004 10:46:53 PM

"sebastien" <sebastienm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854. I have flashed the bios (AWARE bios)
> up to version v1.07. My OS is Windows 2000 SP4 (which enables drive of
> 137.5 Gb or greater). I've just bought a Seagate 200gb and haven't
> installed it yet... i have just read about the 48-bit addressing
> thing.
>
> What is the HD capacity limit? Does the BIOS allow hd with capacity
> greater than 137.5Gb? If not, what are my options? Can it be solved
> through a software (i guess upgrading the chip or something like that
> would be almost as expensive as changing motherboard) ?
>
> Thank you,
> Sebastien

Not sure if the board will support over 137GB, but if it doesn't, you can
add a PCI ATA card similar to these:
www.promise.com

They will support the drive for sure.

Chris