removing winxp

Fatman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2004

How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
how to do it.

It is easy to do. You just have to format the hard drive
and use your obsolete W98 CD to install it on a clean drive.
Be sure to back up your data, also, expect to have more
trouble since many patches are not available anymore.

some support

fatman wrote:
> How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> how to do it.

You're ranting because you completely failed to do any homework before
installation.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor before installation? No, you did not.
Did you check to see if your system was capable of running XP? No, you did
not.
Did you make sure all your hardware and software was XP compatible? No, you
did not.

And you wonder why you're having problems! PEBCAK error.

You need to also be aware that many newer drivers will not be written for
Win98SE and that most updates for Win98SE will be "discontinuing" soon.

"fatman" <fatlilbk@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> how to do it.

"fatman" <fatlilbk@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> how to do it.

Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (which
I'm sure you have), then run delpart.exe
(http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm)
to delete all existing partitions. There are now two things
left to do:
a) Ask a Win9x newsgroup how to install Win98 on
an unpartitioned disk, and
b) Ask yourself why you spat the dummy and replaced
a fine, robust and stable operating system with one
that is wobbly, outdated and probably unsupported
in the near future.

Fatman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2004

contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
MY MACHINE

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you upgraded, go to Control Panel > Add Remove Programs.
You should be able to uninstall XP and revert back to your previous 98
version.

If this is not the case, you'll have to reformat and reinstall.

If your switching back because you can't get programs to work, Windows XP
has
Program Compatability Wizard. You can access it by going to Help and Support
from
the Start Menu or just right clicking the program you want to use and going
to properties.
I think there's a Compatability tab. Don't use it on old virus software
which was used on your
previous OS or on system software.

bob

fatman Wrote:
> contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
> thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
> before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
> versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
> MY MACHINE

Ok, I think the point people are trying to tell you is, most if not all
of us have and use some type of xp. My 6 year old installs games, my 12
year old installs, downloads etc... I my self have worked on many
machines with xp and I my self have owned home and pro. I have never
heard someone with so many issues except the teen next door to me and
he blamed xp. After going over his pc, it was his inability to adjust
to xp from 98se. Now that he has the understanding he has little if no
problems at all. I am just taking a guess but I think your machine may
be too old or programs may be too old and you are trying to use them.
"If"your pc is old as 98 that would be a problem also. Your motherboard
might simply be, well, too old, not that xp won't work on it but it can
cause many issues. Like everyone was saying, 98 will no longer even be
supported. The pc world changes very fast and if you don't keep up, you
get left behind. I have a neighbor who still uses 95 and gets mad if he
can't install anything new, he needs to move on. If you had a better
understanding of the technical side of it, you would easily see our
point. You just seem very frustrated and many do get that way, things
change very fast. Calm down, ask a few questions and give some info on
your pc, age yadda yadda yadda.
Many will help you on this site.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

fatman wrote:
> How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> how to do it.

Format c: is the quickest way, then reinstall. I'm betting that the machine
came with Win98 SE installed on it, has a small hard drive, is around 300
MHz and at most 128 Mb Ram.
Nothing wrong with that. Some people still insist on using CP/M.

> contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
> thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
> before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
> versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
> MY MACHINE

Good luck! What will you do when you can no longer run
your virus scanner on Win98? When Microsoft stops supporting
Win98, everyone else will immediately follow suit.

Fatman

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2004

Hey this sys is up to date,5-180 gig hds,386mgs ram,128mg video,Amd
1700xp soundblaster live,ethernet card,56k zoom modem top of the line
stuff,but xp with all it patches security updts screw up the
works,this sys is connected to three gateway sys running 800mhz
2-40gig hds,I run an apache server from here when I can get it to work
with xp,there is nothing in xp that has not been stolen from other
programs,like go back,file mover,win explorere doesn't do the job,you
should try power desk,sys suite for virus protection,not norton,these
programs are far superior than anything in xp......As far as finding
the unistall in the control panel it's not there.I have not seen
windows load on any sys without it screwing up something it's not
consistent on any machine I've seen.The word is Operating system,it
should do anything I TELL IT TO DO not the other way around,I'm
seriously looking at linx.
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:11 GMT, fatman <fatlilbk@peoplepc.com>
wrote:

>contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
>thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
>before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
>versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
>MY MACHINE

Humm, I smell troll. If you are in fact as good as you claim, you would
not be here asking something so "stupidly simple" as "removing winxp".

fatman Wrote:
> Hey this sys is up to date,5-180 gig hds,386mgs ram,128mg video,Amd
> 1700xp soundblaster live,ethernet card,56k zoom modem top of the line
> stuff,but xp with all it patches security updts screw up the
> works,this sys is connected to three gateway sys running 800mhz
> 2-40gig hds,I run an apache server from here when I can get it to work
> with xp,there is nothing in xp that has not been stolen from other
> programs,like go back,file mover,win explorere doesn't do the job,you
> should try power desk,sys suite for virus protection,not norton,these
> programs are far superior than anything in xp......As far as finding
> the unistall in the control panel it's not there.I have not seen
> windows load on any sys without it screwing up something it's not
> consistent on any machine I've seen.The word is Operating system,it
> should do anything I TELL IT TO DO not the other way around,I'm
> seriously looking at linx.
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:11 GMT, fatman
> wrote:
>
> >contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
> >thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
> >before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
> >versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
> >MY MACHINE

Well I will say this, if it's you want to run a server, then Linux or
Unix will probably be your best bet. I beleive Fedora 4 is out for
Linux. As long as you know what you are doing. Except for the open
source code for Linux, Fedora is becoming more like Windows every day.
They do have awesome screen savers though. Perhaps you should have
bought windows server 2003? That may explain the problems.

--

"Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> fatman wrote:
> > How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> > drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> > going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> > how to do it.
>
> Format c: is the quickest way, then reinstall. I'm betting that the
machine
> came with Win98 SE installed on it, has a small hard drive, is around 300
> MHz and at most 128 Mb Ram.
> Nothing wrong with that. Some people still insist on using CP/M.

Unless the OP still has Win98 installed (which I very much doubt,
considering is lament), format c: is not an option under WinXP.
Windows won't let him format the system drive.

fatman wrote:
> Hey this sys is up to date,5-180 gig hds,386mgs ram,128mg video,Amd
> 1700xp soundblaster live,ethernet card,56k zoom modem top of the line
> stuff,but xp with all it patches security updts screw up the
> works,this sys is connected to three gateway sys running 800mhz
> 2-40gig hds,I run an apache server from here when I can get it to work
> with xp,there is nothing in xp that has not been stolen from other
> programs,like go back,file mover,win explorere doesn't do the job,you
> should try power desk,sys suite for virus protection,not norton,these
> programs are far superior than anything in xp......As far as finding
> the unistall in the control panel it's not there.I have not seen
> windows load on any sys without it screwing up something it's not
> consistent on any machine I've seen.The word is Operating system,it
> should do anything I TELL IT TO DO not the other way around,I'm
> seriously looking at linx.
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:11 GMT, fatman <fatlilbk@peoplepc.com>
> wrote:

Any version of UNIX it always reminds me of a soaped up version of CP/M. I'm
not talking about the pretty face that people put on it in the hope of
making it easy to use but the actual OS.
But it was designed to give people the power to do what they wanted to with
a machine.
It has a steep learning curve and while the typical UNIX guru will argue all
day about why his *command line driven* program is better than your *command
line driven* program he will have little time to help you and if you mention
GUI, will probably stop talking to you.

If you've written assembly language programs to make your printer work, are
fairly competent in C and have written some complex DOS based batch files,
then you have some idea of what you face in Linux.

My system is essentially the same as yours (although it only has 384 Mb of
RAM) and I do not consider it up to date. However it has only frozen once
since I've had it and the BSOD has only shown up when first installing odd
ball no name hardware.

What makes you think so? The fact that he spells the
operating system of his dreams, Linux, as "linx"?

> Humm, I smell troll. If you are in fact as good as you claim, you would
> not be here asking something so "stupidly simple" as "removing winxp".
>
> fatman wrote:
>
> > Hey this sys is up to date,5-180 gig hds,386mgs ram,128mg video,Amd
> > 1700xp soundblaster live,ethernet card,56k zoom modem top of the line
> > stuff,but xp with all it patches security updts screw up the
> > works,this sys is connected to three gateway sys running 800mhz
> > 2-40gig hds,I run an apache server from here when I can get it to work
> > with xp,there is nothing in xp that has not been stolen from other
> > programs,like go back,file mover,win explorere doesn't do the job,you
> > should try power desk,sys suite for virus protection,not norton,these
> > programs are far superior than anything in xp......As far as finding
> > the unistall in the control panel it's not there.I have not seen
> > windows load on any sys without it screwing up something it's not
> > consistent on any machine I've seen.The word is Operating system,it
> > should do anything I TELL IT TO DO not the other way around,I'm
> > seriously looking at linx.
> > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:11 GMT, fatman <fatlilbk@peoplepc.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>contrary to all your beliefs my sys is more than up to date it's xp
> >>thats trying to get drivers that work with it,by doing home work
> >>before I installed,all software has to conform to it an not visa
> >>versa.I want control over my sys not sys telling me how to configure
> >>MY MACHINE

That was merely the last typo in a LONG string of misspelled words.

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

> What makes you think so? The fact that he spells the
> operating system of his dreams, Linux, as "linx"?
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Humm, I smell troll. If you are in fact as good as you claim, you would
>>not be here asking something so "stupidly simple" as "removing winxp".
>>
>>fatman wrote:
>>

>>>Hey this sys is up to date,5-180 gig hds,386mgs ram,128mg video,Amd
>>>1700xp soundblaster live,ethernet card,56k zoom modem top of the line
>>>stuff,but xp with all it patches security updts screw up the
>>>works,this sys is connected to three gateway sys running 800mhz
>>>2-40gig hds,I run an apache server from here when I can get it to work
>>>with xp,there is nothing in xp that has not been stolen from other
>>>programs,like go back,file mover,win explorere doesn't do the job,you
>>>should try power desk,sys suite for virus protection,not norton,these
>>>programs are far superior than anything in xp......As far as finding
>>>the unistall in the control panel it's not there.I have not seen
>>>windows load on any sys without it screwing up something it's not
>>>consistent on any machine I've seen.The word is Operating system,it
>>>should do anything I TELL IT TO DO not the other way around,I'm
>>>seriously looking at linx.

Why are all you people making suggestions and opinoions of what this man
wants to do? He asked a simple question. If you have an answer give it. If he
wants more opinions he'll ask. Are you folks trying to mess this Board up
like you do everything else? So...........smart mouths, how do you remove XP
and put in W98?

"fatman" wrote:

> How can I remove winxp,I'm sick of stuff not working scambling for
> drivers updates that do nothing,my money was wasted buying this,I'm
> going back to win98se which gave me no problems.Help can't find out
> how to do it.

Sheesh, IF it will make YOU STOP MULTIPOSTING OFF-TOPIC, go here.

How to manually remove Windows XP and then restore Windows 95, Windows
98, or Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314052