S1590 upgrade help please

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 24, 2004 10:51:09 PM

Greetings,
I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade a family member's machine from
old-time movie hardware to something not quite so old. The machine
originally had Win98SE running on an Abit IT5H with a K6 233, 128 MB ram,
and an ATI Rage II+. The machine ran fine although it was a little slow.

I'm now trying to install a Tyan s1590 with a K62-500 and 128 MB of PC66.
To begin the upgrade, I first removed all devices from device manager and
then removed the remaining ones from the HKey_Local Machine/Enum branch of
the registry that device manager would not let me remove, i.e., the hard
drive controllers. The Win98 directory from the install CD was copied to
the hard drive so that it could be accessed without worrying about the CD
not being initially detected. I then swapped the hardware over (it tested
fine with a bootable SuSE Linux CD that I have).

Win98SE will boot fine in safe mode. However, booting in normal mode takes
a long time even after all the hardware was detected (there are no obvious
conflicts in device manager). The normal mode boot time is about 20
minutes. I performed a logged boot and examined the bootlog.txt file with
Bootlog Analyzer. However, this program indicates that the processes
recorded in the bootlog.txt file completed in about 3 minutes. Clearly,
there's something else going on with the machine.

Other components in the system are:
US Robotics 33.6 ISA modem jumpered for com2, irq3
SoundBlaster 16 ISA PNP
The PC66 is actually composed of one 64MB module of PC100 and two 32MB
modules of PC66 running at the AGP 66MHz jumper setting.

I also have a VooDoo 3 3000D to install in it once I get the rest of the
hardware working (I thought that the motherboard upgrade might go more
smoothly if I left the old video card installed).

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on getting this
system to work correctly.

Thanks, Eric

More about : s1590 upgrade

October 25, 2004 9:35:16 PM

Eric wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade a family member's machine from
> old-time movie hardware to something not quite so old. The machine
> originally had Win98SE running on an Abit IT5H with a K6 233, 128 MB ram,
> and an ATI Rage II+. The machine ran fine although it was a little slow.
>
> I'm now trying to install a Tyan s1590 with a K62-500 and 128 MB of PC66.
> To begin the upgrade, I first removed all devices from device manager and
> then removed the remaining ones from the HKey_Local Machine/Enum branch of
> the registry that device manager would not let me remove, i.e., the hard
> drive controllers. The Win98 directory from the install CD was copied to
> the hard drive so that it could be accessed without worrying about the CD
> not being initially detected. I then swapped the hardware over (it tested
> fine with a bootable SuSE Linux CD that I have).
>
> Win98SE will boot fine in safe mode. However, booting in normal mode
> takes a long time even after all the hardware was detected (there are no
> obvious conflicts in device manager). The normal mode boot time is about
> 20 minutes. I performed a logged boot and examined the bootlog.txt file
> with Bootlog Analyzer. However, this program indicates that the processes
> recorded in the bootlog.txt file completed in about 3 minutes. Clearly,
> there's something else going on with the machine.
>
> Other components in the system are:
> US Robotics 33.6 ISA modem jumpered for com2, irq3
> SoundBlaster 16 ISA PNP
> The PC66 is actually composed of one 64MB module of PC100 and two 32MB
> modules of PC66 running at the AGP 66MHz jumper setting.
>
> I also have a VooDoo 3 3000D to install in it once I get the rest of the
> hardware working (I thought that the motherboard upgrade might go more
> smoothly if I left the old video card installed).
>
> I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on getting this
> system to work correctly.

I've recently discovered that there are multiple screens worth of "alias"
hardware listed in Device Manager when viewing the I/O addresses in use
under Computer Properties, View Resources. I don't know if this might be a
cause or a symptom of the 20 minute boot problem or if it's even related.
Though, as I noted above, there are no conflicting devices in Device Manager
and the system seems to work reasonably well once it boots. It just takes
20 minutes.

Eric
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 9:17:10 PM

I wouldn't have gone for a board quite as old as an S1590; my choice would have been the S1830
(which I still run).

It has the classic AT form factor but allows a CPU up to an Intel Pentium III 1000 MHz, and up to
1024 MB of PC100 RAM. I'm running it in a Gateway/2000 case that originally came with an old
486/33. The board has 1 AGP, 4 PCI, and 4 ISA slots, which gives you quite a bit more flexibility
to mix old and new components.

Although nobody still sells the board commercially, the board shows up on eBay from time to time;
often with the CPU and RAM included.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 27, 2004 7:14:04 AM

Larry Scholnick wrote:

> I wouldn't have gone for a board quite as old as an S1590; my choice
> would have been the S1830 (which I still run).
>
> It has the classic AT form factor but allows a CPU up to an Intel Pentium
> III 1000 MHz, and up to 1024 MB of PC100 RAM. I'm running it in a
> Gateway/2000 case that originally came with an old 486/33. The board has
> 1 AGP, 4 PCI, and 4 ISA slots, which gives you quite a bit more
> flexibility to mix old and new components.
>
> Although nobody still sells the board commercially, the board shows up on
> eBay from time to time; often with the CPU and RAM included.

Larry,
Thanks for your comments regarding the S1830. I had a spare K6-2 500 so the
s1590 seemed like a logical choice. It would be great if you had
suggestions regarding my upgrade protocol which I've successfully used in
the past on other boards but which doesn't seem to be working out so well
with this particular board.

Thanks again, Eric
October 28, 2004 9:49:17 PM

OK, I've got this unit up and running without having to do a clean install.
It seems that ZoneAlarm Pro was interfering with the new hardware detection
upon reboot. After restoring the old system, I disabled ZoneAlarm Pro from
starting up with windows. The upgrade then proceeded flawlessly. :)

Eric
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2004 10:56:51 PM

Eric wrote:

> Thanks for your comments regarding the S1830. I had a spare K6-2 500 so the
> s1590 seemed like a logical choice. It would be great if you had
> suggestions regarding my upgrade protocol which I've successfully used in
> the past on other boards but which doesn't seem to be working out so well
> with this particular board.

I've never tried PC66 RAM in a S1590. To get 500 MHZ requires a FSB at
least 83X6=500, but the board was designed for 100x6=600. You want to
run that CPU at 100x5, but you shouldn't be able to do that with your
slow RAM. Is everything jumpered correctly for your slow RAM?
--
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." U.S. Constitution, Amendment 1

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

November 25, 2004 6:30:31 PM

Felix Miata wrote:

> I've never tried PC66 RAM in a S1590. To get 500 MHZ requires a FSB at
> least 83X6=500, but the board was designed for 100x6=600. You want to
> run that CPU at 100x5, but you shouldn't be able to do that with your
> slow RAM. Is everything jumpered correctly for your slow RAM?

PC66 will work just fine on the S1590 as there's a jumper setting to run the
memory bus asynchronously at 66 MHz while keeping the CPU and 5x100. Tyan
notes that this jumper setting is to set the memory to the "AGP" clock.

Eric
!