Are "combo" adapters better?

I was wondering if a "combo" PCI adapter incorporating an USB2.0, IEEE 1394,
and a UATA-133 IDE controller, would function more efficiently than three
individual PCI adapters each with one of these functions. Is there any
performance gain/loss?

I am changing the PCI IDE adapter on one PC as I keep getting warnings in
event viewer (no other error messages though) about its outdated firmware.

Someone gave me a "combo" adapter as outlined above. Installing it would
also free up two PCI slots, as I can then take out the existing IEEE 1394
and USB2.0 PCI adapters too.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

SKS

IMHO, a well designed "combo" adapter is just as efficient as 2 or 3 well
designed single adapters.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"SKS" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if a "combo" PCI adapter incorporating an USB2.0, IEEE
>1394, and a UATA-133 IDE controller, would function more efficiently than
>three individual PCI adapters each with one of these functions. Is there
>any performance gain/loss?
>
> I am changing the PCI IDE adapter on one PC as I keep getting warnings in
> event viewer (no other error messages though) about its outdated firmware.
>
> Someone gave me a "combo" adapter as outlined above. Installing it would
> also free up two PCI slots, as I can then take out the existing IEEE 1394
> and USB2.0 PCI adapters too.
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> SKS

I tend to not reply on "combo" cards. If one section fails, then you can no
longer use that feature or you will have to add an additional card.

"SKS" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if a "combo" PCI adapter incorporating an USB2.0, IEEE
>1394, and a UATA-133 IDE controller, would function more efficiently than
>three individual PCI adapters each with one of these functions. Is there
>any performance gain/loss?
>
> I am changing the PCI IDE adapter on one PC as I keep getting warnings in
> event viewer (no other error messages though) about its outdated firmware.
>
> Someone gave me a "combo" adapter as outlined above. Installing it would
> also free up two PCI slots, as I can then take out the existing IEEE 1394
> and USB2.0 PCI adapters too.
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> SKS

Thanks for the responses.

I was a bit hesitant on using the combo card, actually. I am getting a newer
IDE controller PCI card shortly for that machine.

Regards.

SKS