my floppy drive...

June 15, 2005 1:57:05 PM

i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

More about : floppy drive

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:50:19 PM

you should try disabling and then enabling the unity.
If it does not work. try checking floppy physical cables, maybe these could
not be sending data back and for properly.

kovik

"nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:C44F0E5E-BA0A-4BEC-A91A-7B682F2594B4@microsoft.com...
i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:50:20 PM

i'm not sure how to do that..

"kovik" wrote:

> you should try disabling and then enabling the unity.
> If it does not work. try checking floppy physical cables, maybe these could
> not be sending data back and for properly.
>
> kovik
>

> "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
> mensaje news:C44F0E5E-BA0A-4BEC-A91A-7B682F2594B4@microsoft.com...
> i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
> disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

June 15, 2005 5:03:16 PM

Pressing F5 will refesh the list..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
> change
> disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:03:17 PM

I have tried hitting f5 and also going up to view and clicking refresh. it
doesn't change the contents unless I restart my computer.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Pressing F5 will refesh the list..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>

> "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
> > change
> > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:12:11 PM

XP has trouble with BIOS setting, sometimes, also. I would check the
BIOS floppy settings and ensure they agree with Windows. If no joy, try
changing BIOS floppy settings to NONE and then boot XP and see what
Device Manager says. Play around with different settings, basically, and
try to find some combo that works for you.

nebraskagirl wrote:

> i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
> disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:12:12 PM

Could you explain to me how to do that?

"Airman QPD" wrote:

> XP has trouble with BIOS setting, sometimes, also. I would check the
> BIOS floppy settings and ensure they agree with Windows. If no joy, try
> changing BIOS floppy settings to NONE and then boot XP and see what
> Device Manager says. Play around with different settings, basically, and
> try to find some combo that works for you.
>
> nebraskagirl wrote:
>
> > i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
> > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:49:37 PM

Time for a new floppy drive then. (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

>I have tried hitting f5 and also going up to view and clicking refresh. it
> doesn't change the contents unless I restart my computer.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Pressing F5 will refesh the list..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
>> kept
>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>>

>> "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put
>> > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
>> > change
>> > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
>> > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:41:23 PM

nebraskagirl <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
>floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
>disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
>friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

Welcome to the club.

I had to stop including 3.5 diskette drives on new systems because of
this problem. The only solution I have found is to use an external
USB diskette drive.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:41:24 PM

Go to your pc properties
then hardware
devices manager
go to diskette or floppy unities
select the one you have
right click on it
disable
after that enable

to check your physical cables you will have to open your pc.

kovik

"Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
nebraskagirl <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
>floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
>disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
>friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

Welcome to the club.

I had to stop including 3.5 diskette drives on new systems because of
this problem. The only solution I have found is to use an external
USB diskette drive.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:41:25 PM

Okay, I tried that. and it didn't work.

"kovik" wrote:

> Go to your pc properties
> then hardware
> devices manager
> go to diskette or floppy unities
> select the one you have
> right click on it
> disable
> after that enable
>
> to check your physical cables you will have to open your pc.
>
> kovik
>

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> nebraskagirl <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
> >floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
> >disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
> >friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???
>
> Welcome to the club.
>
> I had to stop including 3.5 diskette drives on new systems because of
> this problem. The only solution I have found is to use an external
> USB diskette drive.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:57:31 AM

"kovik" <top_decor@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Go to your pc properties
>then hardware
>devices manager
>go to diskette or floppy unities
>select the one you have
>right click on it
>disable
>after that enable
>
>to check your physical cables you will have to open your pc.
>
>kovik

Been there. Done that. On at least a dozen diferent PCs.

Also replaced the drives.

Still no go.

Windows XP has a bug with regard to 3.5 diskette drives under certain
circumstances. Problem is that these circumstances have not as yet
been precisely identified.

The problem happens much more frequently on newer systems with CPU
speeds of 2.5 ghz or higher. but it did also happen occasionally on
slower CPUs.

But not every system is affected. And even identical systems (same
motherboard, CPU, RAM, video and all disk drives) can vary with some
of them exhibiting the behavior and others not.

These systems will also always boot directly from a bootable 3.5
diskette and will be fully functional, including diskette changes,
when running DOS.

!