my floppy drive...

i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???
11 answers Last reply
More about floppy drive

    you should try disabling and then enabling the unity.
    If it does not work. try checking floppy physical cables, maybe these could
    not be sending data back and for properly.

    kovik

    "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    mensaje news:C44F0E5E-BA0A-4BEC-A91A-7B682F2594B4@microsoft.com...
    i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    i'm not sure how to do that..

    "kovik" wrote:

    > you should try disabling and then enabling the unity.
    > If it does not work. try checking floppy physical cables, maybe these could
    > not be sending data back and for properly.
    >
    > kovik
    >

    > "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    > mensaje news:C44F0E5E-BA0A-4BEC-A91A-7B682F2594B4@microsoft.com...
    > i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    Pressing F5 will refesh the list..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
    > change
    > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    I have tried hitting f5 and also going up to view and clicking refresh. it
    doesn't change the contents unless I restart my computer.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Pressing F5 will refesh the list..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    > > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
    > > change
    > > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    > > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    XP has trouble with BIOS setting, sometimes, also. I would check the
    BIOS floppy settings and ensure they agree with Windows. If no joy, try
    changing BIOS floppy settings to NONE and then boot XP and see what
    Device Manager says. Play around with different settings, basically, and
    try to find some combo that works for you.

    nebraskagirl wrote:

    > i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    Could you explain to me how to do that?

    "Airman QPD" wrote:

    > XP has trouble with BIOS setting, sometimes, also. I would check the
    > BIOS floppy settings and ensure they agree with Windows. If no joy, try
    > changing BIOS floppy settings to NONE and then boot XP and see what
    > Device Manager says. Play around with different settings, basically, and
    > try to find some combo that works for you.
    >
    > nebraskagirl wrote:
    >
    > > i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    > > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    > > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    > > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    Time for a new floppy drive then. (-:

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    >I have tried hitting f5 and also going up to view and clicking refresh. it
    > doesn't change the contents unless I restart my computer.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Pressing F5 will refesh the list..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "nebraskagirl" <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put
    >> > floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I
    >> > change
    >> > disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    >> > friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    nebraskagirl <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    >floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    >disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    >friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    Welcome to the club.

    I had to stop including 3.5 diskette drives on new systems because of
    this problem. The only solution I have found is to use an external
    USB diskette drive.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Go to your pc properties
    then hardware
    devices manager
    go to diskette or floppy unities
    select the one you have
    right click on it
    disable
    after that enable

    to check your physical cables you will have to open your pc.

    kovik

    "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    nebraskagirl <nebraskagirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >i just installed XP on my computer a week and a half ago and when I put a
    >floppy disk in to view the contents, everything is shown, but then I change
    >disks, no matter which disk I put in, and it shows the same contents. A
    >friend of mine said something about the cache, how do I fix this???

    Welcome to the club.

    I had to stop including 3.5 diskette drives on new systems because of
    this problem. The only solution I have found is to use an external
    USB diskette drive.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Okay, I tried that. and it didn't work.

    "kovik" <top_decor@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Go to your pc properties
    >then hardware
    >devices manager
    >go to diskette or floppy unities
    >select the one you have
    >right click on it
    >disable
    >after that enable
    >
    >to check your physical cables you will have to open your pc.
    >
    >kovik

    Been there. Done that. On at least a dozen diferent PCs.

    Also replaced the drives.

    Still no go.

    Windows XP has a bug with regard to 3.5 diskette drives under certain
    circumstances. Problem is that these circumstances have not as yet
    been precisely identified.

    The problem happens much more frequently on newer systems with CPU
    speeds of 2.5 ghz or higher. but it did also happen occasionally on
    slower CPUs.

    But not every system is affected. And even identical systems (same
    motherboard, CPU, RAM, video and all disk drives) can vary with some
    of them exhibiting the behavior and others not.

    These systems will also always boot directly from a bootable 3.5
    diskette and will be fully functional, including diskette changes,
    when running DOS.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP