DVD/CD-ROM device not found.

I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
up.

In Device Manager, it says:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Thanks for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device-found-ftopict546166.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725743
6 answers Last reply
More about device found

    Go into device manager & uninstall the device, then click action > scan for
    hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

    --
    ~*Kim*~

    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

    "KrazE" wrote:
    > Go into device manager & uninstall the device, then click
    > action > scan for
    > hardware changes to reinstall the driver.
    >
    > --
    > ~*Kim*~
    >
    > MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    > The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?>
    >

    > "navybluechuckz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
    > message
    > >I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack
    > 2,
    > > Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the
    > cd-rom drive
    > > stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it
    > run and
    > > read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped
    > showing
    > > up.
    > >
    > > In Device Manager, it says:
    > >
    > > Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this
    > hardware but
    > > cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device-found-ftopict546166.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725743

    Okay, after I uninstalled and reinstalled the device, a different
    Device status message appears:

    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
    information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

    suggestions? THANKS.

    This worked for me, may be it will work for you also

    1. Go to Run on Start menu
    2. Execute Regedit and press ok
    3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
    4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
    5. If found then delete it
    6. Restart computer again

    Thanks

    Rishi

    rishi bajajPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:42:13 +0100, rishi bajaj wrote:

    > This worked for me, may be it will work for you also
    >
    > 1. Go to Run on Start menu
    > 2. Execute Regedit and press ok
    > 3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
    > 4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
    > 5. If found then delete it
    > 6. Restart computer again
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rishi

    Perhaps you mistyped "filters"? Directions for this procedure normally
    state "upper filters" and "lower filters."

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to
    the problem.

    Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.

    Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I
    noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The
    LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

    --
    herzlichPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 00:08:48 +0100, herzlich wrote:

    > I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to
    > the problem.
    >
    > Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.
    >
    > Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I
    > noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The
    > LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

    So the article helped and it's fixed now?
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hardware CD-Rom Windows XP