  • Hardware
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
June 15, 2005 11:36:27 PM

I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
up.

In Device Manager, it says:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Thanks for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725743

More about : dvd rom device found

June 16, 2005 2:16:47 AM

Go into device manager & uninstall the device, then click action > scan for
hardware changes to reinstall the driver.

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

"navybluechuckz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
> Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
> stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
> read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
> up.
>
> In Device Manager, it says:
>
> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
> cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>
> Thanks for your help.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device...
June 19, 2005 6:35:53 AM

"KrazE" wrote:
> Go into device manager & uninstall the device, then click
> action > scan for
> hardware changes to reinstall the driver.
>
> --
> ~*Kim*~
>
> MCP/MCSA/MCSE
> The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?>
>

> "navybluechuckz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> >I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack
> 2,
> > Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the
> cd-rom drive
> > stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it
> run and
> > read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped
> showing
> > up.
> >
> > In Device Manager, it says:
> >
> > Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this
> hardware but
> > cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-DVD-CD-ROM-device...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725743

Okay, after I uninstalled and reinstalled the device, a different
Device status message appears:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration
information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

suggestions? THANKS.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:42:13 PM

This worked for me, may be it will work for you also

1. Go to Run on Start menu
2. Execute Regedit and press ok
3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
5. If found then delete it
6. Restart computer again

Thanks

Rishi

navybluechuckz Wrote:
> I have a fairly new Sony Vaio, Pentium 4, 3 Ghz, Service pack 2,
> Windows XP computer... A few weeks after buying it, the cd-rom drive
> stopped reading cds. It still works; you can still hear it run and
> read CDs and stuff. But under My Computer, the drive stopped showing
> up.
>
> In Device Manager, it says:
>
> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
> cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>
> Thanks for your help.

> request
> Topic URL: http://tinyurl.com/dmbhl

rishi bajajPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:42:14 PM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 13:42:13 +0100, rishi bajaj wrote:

> This worked for me, may be it will work for you also
>
> 1. Go to Run on Start menu
> 2. Execute Regedit and press ok
> 3. In Registery window go to Edit menu and search for "Upper Files".
> 4. If found then delete it and then search for "Lower Files"
> 5. If found then delete it
> 6. Restart computer again
>
> Thanks
>
> Rishi

Perhaps you mistyped "filters"? Directions for this procedure normally
state "upper filters" and "lower filters."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to
the problem.

Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.

Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I
noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The
LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

--
herzlichPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 00:08:48 +0100, herzlich wrote:

> I finally found a KB article at Microsoft that helped me go directly to
> the problem.
>
> Q314060 - dated June 23, 2005.
>
> Talks about the UpperFilters and gives the path to the exact key. I
> noticed in mine that there was garbage in the UpperFilters. The
> LowerFilters had good data for the layered products on my system.

So the article helped and it's fixed now?
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User