Report: Microsoft Shut HTC Out of Windows 8 Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
One sec who actually makes (puts together) nearly all of the tablets / mobile phones (Apple to name but one) and what relationship to HTC does that company have? Unless things have changed recently does not Foxcomm have a fairly close relatioship to HTC....

Isn't it more likely that HTC wasn't willing to pay some form of fee or liscence agreement? I mean think about it... largest phone maker in the world... I am sure they could figure out how to make an over-sized phone without a cellular radio in it...

Remember: MS is greedy, and more than willing to give betas away to the public for free, so there must be more to the story.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
before going to negative over MSFT

maybe they want to be like apple is, and have total control over Win 8 tablets and prevent bloatware

if smartglass for xbox turns out to be super cool, i will get a win 8 tab

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Headline:
"Report: Microsoft Shut HTC Out of Windows 8 Development"

Body of text:
"According to the latest rumors, Microsoft is actively shutting HTC out."

Terrible reporting Jane but then again you have to go with the 'sensational' article heading to spread the miss-information. People will read the headline and not bother to read the article. Damage done.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Microsoft still wet dreaming that they have a monopoly power on the mobile sector... Time to wake up...[/citation]

...and your comment is on a rumour. Well done.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The story goes that HTC wanted to build a Windows device with a customized home screen

I think that right there is the answer ladies and gentlemen. HTC wanted to replace Metro. Microsoft spent alot of time working on Metro for tablets and the last thing they want to do is let someone come and rip it out. Do we really need a repeat of android where motorola phones have a different interface than samsung which is different from LG? I can see why they said no.

G

"HTC wanted to build a Windows device with a customized home screen"

Basically HTC wanted to add a launcher over the top of metro. With all it's current effort around metro (whether you love it or not) i don't see ms letting that happen

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
"HTC wanted to build a Windows device with a customized home screen"

Personnally, with the state of Android right now with all the custom bloatware, I'd rather have windows untouched, but still, shutting off HTC is quite extreme...

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Headline:"Report: Microsoft Shut HTC Out of Windows 8 Development"Body of text:"According to the latest rumors, Microsoft is actively shutting HTC out."Terrible reporting Jane but then again you have to go with the 'sensational' article heading to spread the miss-information. People will read the headline and not bother to read the article. Damage done.[/citation]

+1 to this. This is how reporters and journalists create fake crap. Sensationalist titles...I can't actively blame Jane, though...anything to get the money in one's pocket...I wouldn't care either in her shoes, though.

lucxxx

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
O Wait,

wasnt htc with touchFlo who made windows to gain some smartphone market? No they belive that with that stolen ui home screen thei can make it??

pinguw

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I guess because HTC introduced Android years before, and look how is adnoid and windows mobile now,I guess there is a grudge between them....

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]The story goes that HTC wanted to build a Windows device with a customized home screen that would distinguish HTC Windows devices from Windows devices manufactured by other companies.[/citation]This kind of thing actually drives Android developers crazy. "Crap. It looks different on the HTC device again."

It was very nice that Google required an untouch Holo theme starting at 4.0, but we're stuck making 2.1/2.2 apps for a while, which doesn't have such a requirement.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Something tells me this "rumor" is not very accurate considering the 2 involved. Microsoft pretty much loves everyone who will use their software, even if they are competition. Heck Microsoft even loves Google because they make subsidies on what Google sells.
HTC will use any and everything to make their products sell.

Between 2 companies there will always be disagreements on implementation. Microsoft has been pretty adamant about meeting requirements since its debacle with Windows Vista. So it does not come as a surprise to me that Microsoft will not budge on making an OS work differently solely on 1 manufacturers devices.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Classic MS business model. We sale our brand and make the money, you are simply a minion building the hardware for us.

I hope manufacturers finally take respect for themselves and realize MS is in no position to bargain.

MS going with Windows RT is akin to Adobe continuing to develop flash in light of HTML5, an open standard. Android is the clear open standard, and it has the volume, the manufacturers and the developers.

MS and Apple should start to develop on top of Android before they go the way of Blackberry, Palm.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Wow, of course MS wouldnt let HTC have windows 8 early if they are going to mess with the OS. Its the desktop OS were talking about not a mobile OS. How many people see win7 sold with a special overlay from HP or Gateway? Yes they have some programs preinstalled but nothing that changes windows like HTC would plan to do. I know everyone is used to your tablet having a mobile OS on it but this isnt a mobile OS, its an actual windows OS as in you can use Word and put steam on it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That seems like a terrible move on Microsoft's part. HTC was the premier Windows Mobile vendor for a long time.[/citation]
And look how well it worked out for them, could it be partly HTCs fault that their market penetration is so low?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Classic MS business model. We sale our brand and make the money, you are simply a minion building the hardware for us.[/citation]
You could say exactly the same of Foxconn and Apple, so get off your high horse

cmi86

Distinguished
Nice job Microsoft... Some how the maker of some of the most advanced mobile devices on the planet is not eligable for you new obviously mobile OS... Where does this make sense ??

Having recently tried running Windows 8, my opinion of it is low enough that I'm reconsidering my initial inclination to switch from Android to Windows Phone 7.5 or 8 when I upgrade. It doesn't really hurt Microsoft that I don't like Windows 8, since I'll have to buy a couple extra copies of Windows 7, but I feel as though I really shouldn't reward them further by using Windows Phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS