Windows Xp Home and Pro

A friend has come to me with a problem on his Laptop that has Windows XP
Home Edition installed on it. He recently upgraded his laptop with some
more RAM, and ever since he has not been able to get past the 'Welcome'
screen on boot up (even when we put the old ram back in).

So i installed another copy of windows XP Pro (in 'C:/windows2'
directory), which works perfectly, enabling me to back all his files.
However, in an ideal world we want to repair the Home install so we
don't have to mess around reinstalling all the settings and programs.

So at this stage i tried to do a repair install of the Home Install
with my XP pro disc, but it would not give me the option to do so. My
question is, is it not possible to do a repair install of Xp Home with
a Xp Pro disc? (We dont have a XP Home disc unfortunatly).

I am open to suggestions of how to get this Home Install up and
running...

Thanks
Scotty

--
scitmon
1 answer Last reply

    The laptop would have been supplied with some form of recovery, either a
    hidden partition or a CD, possibly even both.. now would be a good time to
    look in the manual supplied or contact the laptop manufacturer for
    instructions on how to recover the machine..

    All important data, email and user generated files should be saved to a
    medium outside of the laptop.. CDs are good for this..

    Re. the memory issue, a visit to either of these sites will determine the
    correct memory upgrade for the machine.. www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com

    Laptops are highly customized by the manufacturers (proprietary).. unless
    the correct media is used to recover them, for the most part, they are
    reduced to scrap..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "scitmon" <scitmon.1qpvpn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > A friend has come to me with a problem on his Laptop that has Windows XP
    > Home Edition installed on it. He recently upgraded his laptop with some
    > more RAM, and ever since he has not been able to get past the 'Welcome'
    > screen on boot up (even when we put the old ram back in).
    >
    > So i installed another copy of windows XP Pro (in 'C:/windows2'
    > directory), which works perfectly, enabling me to back all his files.
    > However, in an ideal world we want to repair the Home install so we
    > don't have to mess around reinstalling all the settings and programs.
    >
    > So at this stage i tried to do a repair install of the Home Install
    > with my XP pro disc, but it would not give me the option to do so. My
    > question is, is it not possible to do a repair install of Xp Home with
    > a Xp Pro disc? (We dont have a XP Home disc unfortunatly).
    >
    > I am open to suggestions of how to get this Home Install up and
    > running...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Scotty
    >

    > --