DVDRW Driver only working in PIO mode

I am having problems with slow transfer rates when using my DVDRW drive. I
am using windows xp professional and my drive set-up in the bios is as
follows:-

Primary Master: WDC WD200BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
Primary Slave: WDC WD1600BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
Secondary Master: DVDRW IDE1008 using DMA 4
Secondary Slave: TOSHIBA DVD SDM1802 using DMA 2

I think the problem is in Device Manager properties for the Secondary IDE
Channel the current transfer mode being used for the DVDRW is PIO Mode, even
though Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available.

Does anyone have a solution to how I can change this drive to use DMA mode?

Tony
1 answer Last reply
More about dvdrw driver working mode

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    "IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors
    occur"

    There's a lot of information in the article. The simplest is removing the
    secondary IDE controller from Device Manager, and letting it automatically
    re-install on reboot.

    "TonyToniTone" <mixedcouple@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am having problems with slow transfer rates when using my DVDRW drive. I
    >am using windows xp professional and my drive set-up in the bios is as
    >follows:-
    >
    > Primary Master: WDC WD200BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
    > Primary Slave: WDC WD1600BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
    > Secondary Master: DVDRW IDE1008 using DMA 4
    > Secondary Slave: TOSHIBA DVD SDM1802 using DMA 2
    >
    > I think the problem is in Device Manager properties for the Secondary IDE
    > Channel the current transfer mode being used for the DVDRW is PIO Mode,
    > even though Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available.
    >
    > Does anyone have a solution to how I can change this drive to use DMA
    > mode?
    >
    > Tony

DMA DVD RW Windows XP