DVDRW Driver only working in PIO mode

June 16, 2005 9:23:55 PM

I am having problems with slow transfer rates when using my DVDRW drive. I
am using windows xp professional and my drive set-up in the bios is as
follows:-

Primary Master: WDC WD200BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
Primary Slave: WDC WD1600BB Hard Drive using DMA 5
Secondary Master: DVDRW IDE1008 using DMA 4
Secondary Slave: TOSHIBA DVD SDM1802 using DMA 2

I think the problem is in Device Manager properties for the Secondary IDE
Channel the current transfer mode being used for the DVDRW is PIO Mode, even
though Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available.

Does anyone have a solution to how I can change this drive to use DMA mode?

Tony
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:11:06 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

"IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors
occur"

There's a lot of information in the article. The simplest is removing the
secondary IDE controller from Device Manager, and letting it automatically
re-install on reboot.

!