jeff

I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got XP
installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first boot
screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih press F1 to
continue on the bottom.

I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and changed
a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. I've even reset the BIOS
to defaults. When I press F1 it boots just fine but I'd rather not have that
step.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:45:08 -0700, Jeff wrote:

> I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got XP
> installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first boot
> screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih press F1 to
> continue on the bottom.
>
> I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and changed
> a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. I've even reset the BIOS
> to defaults. When I press F1 it boots just fine but I'd rather not have that
> step.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jeff

It sounds like the motherboard needs a new battery. This supplies power to
the portion of the board that stores the preferred BIOS settings. When the
computer is turned off, the settings are not being retained. When you turn
the system back on, the settings are gone and you get the repeated prompt
to enter setup.

The batteries are small about the size of a nickel or quarter. Similar to a
watch battery. Replacements can often be obtained at the local electronic
store such as Radio Shack.

The batteries are usually very easy to replace but recommend reviewing
replacement directions in the motherboard's manual before swapping it out.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

jeff

It actually retains any changes that I make in the BIOS.

F2 is the key to get into BIOS on this machine.

It's just asking that I press F1, and then it boots normally.

Jeff

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:45:08 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>
> > I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got XP
> > installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first boot
> > screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih press F1 to
> > continue on the bottom.
> >
> > I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and changed
> > a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. I've even reset the BIOS
> > to defaults. When I press F1 it boots just fine but I'd rather not have that
> > step.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> It sounds like the motherboard needs a new battery. This supplies power to
> the portion of the board that stores the preferred BIOS settings. When the
> computer is turned off, the settings are not being retained. When you turn
> the system back on, the settings are gone and you get the repeated prompt
> to enter setup.
>
> The batteries are small about the size of a nickel or quarter. Similar to a
> watch battery. Replacements can often be obtained at the local electronic
> store such as Radio Shack.
>
> The batteries are usually very easy to replace but recommend reviewing
> replacement directions in the motherboard's manual before swapping it out.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Look in BIOS for "stop on error" or such.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:42:02 -0700, Jeff wrote:

> It actually retains any changes that I make in the BIOS.
>
> F2 is the key to get into BIOS on this machine.
>
> It's just asking that I press F1, and then it boots normally.

Ah, my mistake. See Bob's suggestion. If set to stop if an error is
detected, that could explain the behavior. Have a vague recollection of
disabling a serial controller on an HP system to avoid a stop on error
situation.

Also check boot order in BIOS. There is usually a prompt to press a key
when the CDrom drive is set to boot first.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User