tyan s2882 opteron 246 heat question

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2004 9:34:34 AM

What is the typical heat these processors should be running at? I'm
running the s2882 board in a 2U case - pulling air from the front and
pushing it out the back. I'm using these fans for the CPU's -

http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fa...

These fans pull air off of the top of the heatsink and tunnel it
towards the back of the case.

I also have a 4U unit, same setup - except I'm using stock AMD box
fans. The 4U is running 20C cooler though!

What are other people seeing for temperatures on the 246 (or other 240
series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about temps
but would like more info. Thanks.

DS
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2004 6:28:10 PM

Diatonic wrote:
> What is the typical heat these processors should be running at? I'm
> running the s2882 board in a 2U case - pulling air from the front and
> pushing it out the back. I'm using these fans for the CPU's -
>
> http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fa...
>
> These fans pull air off of the top of the heatsink and tunnel it
> towards the back of the case.
>
> I also have a 4U unit, same setup - except I'm using stock AMD box
> fans. The 4U is running 20C cooler though!
>
> What are other people seeing for temperatures on the 246 (or other 240
> series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about temps
> but would like more info. Thanks.

I've built 7 systems around the S2885 so far. One
used 240's, two used 250's, and four used 246's.
Two more are pending and it looks like I will be giving
the HE versions of the 246 a try.

They have all been workstations in tower cases - and
hence there will be tower case vs rack mount case air
flow and cooling differences.

Typical temps for a 246 using the stock AMD coolers are
idle = 39'C
load = 52'C

The most likely reason your 2U unit is running so much hotter
than the 4U unit is simply better airflow through the roomier
4U case. As well, in racks it is quite common for units
higher up in the rack to run significantly hotter than units
lower down for the simple reason that warm air rises. In a
server room that is nominally at 20'C, it is not unusual for air
at the floor to be 8'C cooler than air at rack-top level.
Ceiling fans to circulate the air in the room can help the units
higher up in the rack to run a little cooler.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2004 11:56:18 AM

I found one of my issues - besides not having the best airflow through
these 2U chasis, these fans are NO GOOD!

http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fa...

With these fans I was running @ 63C (145F) per CPU at idle!!! I have
since swapped with these fans:

http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fa...

Now I'm running @ 43C (109F) per CPU and the temp. won't climb another
10-15C under load like the previous fans.

Thought everyone might like this info.

Sure, I have other issues (chasis airflow / etc) keeping me from
reaching the high 30C mark, but low 40's is much better than low 60's!!

Cheers!

DS

!