tyan s2882 opteron 246 heat question

What is the typical heat these processors should be running at? I'm
running the s2882 board in a 2U case - pulling air from the front and
pushing it out the back. I'm using these fans for the CPU's -

http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fans/DC1U-B04.htm

These fans pull air off of the top of the heatsink and tunnel it
towards the back of the case.

I also have a 4U unit, same setup - except I'm using stock AMD box
fans. The 4U is running 20C cooler though!

What are other people seeing for temperatures on the 246 (or other 240
series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about temps
but would like more info. Thanks.

DS
2 answers Last reply
More about tyan s2882 opteron heat question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Diatonic wrote:
    > What is the typical heat these processors should be running at? I'm
    > running the s2882 board in a 2U case - pulling air from the front and
    > pushing it out the back. I'm using these fans for the CPU's -
    >
    > http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fans/DC1U-B04.htm
    >
    > These fans pull air off of the top of the heatsink and tunnel it
    > towards the back of the case.
    >
    > I also have a 4U unit, same setup - except I'm using stock AMD box
    > fans. The 4U is running 20C cooler though!
    >
    > What are other people seeing for temperatures on the 246 (or other 240
    > series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about temps
    > but would like more info. Thanks.

    I've built 7 systems around the S2885 so far. One
    used 240's, two used 250's, and four used 246's.
    Two more are pending and it looks like I will be giving
    the HE versions of the 246 a try.

    They have all been workstations in tower cases - and
    hence there will be tower case vs rack mount case air
    flow and cooling differences.

    Typical temps for a 246 using the stock AMD coolers are
    idle = 39'C
    load = 52'C

    The most likely reason your 2U unit is running so much hotter
    than the 4U unit is simply better airflow through the roomier
    4U case. As well, in racks it is quite common for units
    higher up in the rack to run significantly hotter than units
    lower down for the simple reason that warm air rises. In a
    server room that is nominally at 20'C, it is not unusual for air
    at the floor to be 8'C cooler than air at rack-top level.
    Ceiling fans to circulate the air in the room can help the units
    higher up in the rack to run a little cooler.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    I found one of my issues - besides not having the best airflow through
    these 2U chasis, these fans are NO GOOD!

    http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fans/DC1U-B04.htm

    With these fans I was running @ 63C (145F) per CPU at idle!!! I have
    since swapped with these fans:

    http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fans/E2U-K65CS-01.htm

    Now I'm running @ 43C (109F) per CPU and the temp. won't climb another
    10-15C under load like the previous fans.

    Thought everyone might like this info.

    Sure, I have other issues (chasis airflow / etc) keeping me from
    reaching the high 30C mark, but low 40's is much better than low 60's!!

    Cheers!

    DS

    Rob Stow wrote:
    > Diatonic wrote:
    > > What is the typical heat these processors should be running at?
    I'm
    > > running the s2882 board in a 2U case - pulling air from the front
    and
    > > pushing it out the back. I'm using these fans for the CPU's -

    http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu%20fans/DC1U-B04.htm

    > > These fans pull air off of the top of the heatsink and tunnel it
    > > towards the back of the case.
    > >
    > > I also have a 4U unit, same setup - except I'm using stock AMD box
    > > fans. The 4U is running 20C cooler though!
    > >
    > > What are other people seeing for temperatures on the 246 (or other
    240
    > > series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about
    temps
    > > but would like more info. Thanks.
    > >

    > I've built 7 systems around the S2885 so far. One
    > used 240's, two used 250's, and four used 246's.
    > Two more are pending and it looks like I will be giving
    > the HE versions of the 246 a try.
    >
    > They have all been workstations in tower cases - and
    > hence there will be tower case vs rack mount case air
    > flow and cooling differences.
    >
    > Typical temps for a 246 using the stock AMD coolers are
    > idle = 39'C
    > load = 52'C
    >
    > The most likely reason your 2U unit is running so much hotter
    > than the 4U unit is simply better airflow through the roomier
    > 4U case. As well, in racks it is quite common for units
    > higher up in the rack to run significantly hotter than units
    > lower down for the simple reason that warm air rises. In a
    > server room that is nominally at 20'C, it is not unusual for air
    > at the floor to be 8'C cooler than air at rack-top level.
    > Ceiling fans to circulate the air in the room can help the units
    > higher up in the rack to run a little cooler.

Tyan Heat Motherboards