S2466N 4M shutting down spontaneously.

JL

Hi all. One of my PCs is randomly shutting down without any warning. Here is
the configuration:

Mobo S2466N 4M
2 Athlon MP2400
1Gb Registered ECC ram
WD HD 40Gb
WD HD 60Gb 7200 rpm
MAudio Audiophile 2496
HiVal DVD burner
Matrox G450 dual
Sound Blaster 16
Antec 300W PSU
Windows XP Pro SP1

It doesn't seem to have any correlation to the time it has been on. Nor to
the software I'm running at the moment it happens.

I'm running the Tyan System Monitor Console ver 2.2.1 and there appear to be
no problems. Temperature at the moment is 43 and 45 C for the two
processors.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you very much for your time...!

JL

I'm running the same MB with SCSI drives and not as many options as you
have.
I hazard to guess that your power supply maybe a bit light. I'm running an
Antec
550W, and have had no problems for over a year now.

Regards,
Mike

"JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hi all. One of my PCs is randomly shutting down without any warning. Here
> is
> the configuration:
>
> Mobo S2466N 4M
> 2 Athlon MP2400
> 1Gb Registered ECC ram
> WD HD 40Gb
> WD HD 60Gb 7200 rpm
> MAudio Audiophile 2496
> HiVal DVD burner
> Matrox G450 dual
> Sound Blaster 16
> Antec 300W PSU
> Windows XP Pro SP1
>
> It doesn't seem to have any correlation to the time it has been on. Nor to
> the software I'm running at the moment it happens.
>
> I'm running the Tyan System Monitor Console ver 2.2.1 and there appear to
> be
> no problems. Temperature at the moment is 43 and 45 C for the two
> processors.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you very much for your time...!
>

> JL

JL

Went out and bought a 430W Antec. I'll see if it takes care of the problems,
but right away I notice an increase of 10 degrees in the temp of the chips
(56 and 57C at the moment). At first I thought the PSU's bottom fan blowing
hot air on top of the chips was wrong but this is the way it should be
according to the manual. Is this a normal product of more power being
delivered to the chips?

Thanks...

JL

"Mike VanDusen" <mvandusen@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm running the same MB with SCSI drives and not as many options as you
> have.
> I hazard to guess that your power supply maybe a bit light. I'm running
an
> Antec
> 550W, and have had no problems for over a year now.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

You're temperatures before were very low I think. On my system, CPU1 is 55
and CPU2 is 54. I have a friend that has the same MB and his temperatures
are about the same as mine.

Anyway, I don't think your temps are out of line now. I'm interested in why
they were so low before. Did you measure it with the case open? That can
make a difference.

> Went out and bought a 430W Antec. I'll see if it takes care of the
> problems,
> but right away I notice an increase of 10 degrees in the temp of the chips
> (56 and 57C at the moment). At first I thought the PSU's bottom fan
> blowing
> hot air on top of the chips was wrong but this is the way it should be
> according to the manual. Is this a normal product of more power being
> delivered to the chips?
>
> Thanks...
>
> JL
>
> "Mike VanDusen" <mvandusen@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running the same MB with SCSI drives and not as many options as you
>> have.
>> I hazard to guess that your power supply maybe a bit light. I'm running
> an
>> Antec
>> 550W, and have had no problems for over a year now.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike

JL

My temps did increase, but it wasn't by that much. Turns out the power
connector for the back case fan wasn't fully plugged in. Once I got it
running my temps are 47 and 49.

No, I did not measure them with the case open. I have a large Antec case
(P160) with front and back fans and Thermaltake fans on each processor. And
my apt is rather cool (winter in NYC).

Note that I had to modify the case a little for this motherboard. Some metal
parts of the slide-in design where you mount the mobo were getting in the
way. Other than that it's been great...

> You're temperatures before were very low I think. On my system, CPU1 is
55
> and CPU2 is 54. I have a friend that has the same MB and his temperatures
> are about the same as mine.
>
> Anyway, I don't think your temps are out of line now. I'm interested in
why
> they were so low before. Did you measure it with the case open? That can
> make a difference.
>
> Mike

Dual AMD cpus require at least 400W, you are running 2 cpu remember. 1 AMD
will run on 300W 12V supply but 350W+ is recommended.

Doug
www.lynncomp.com