Win 7 64 boots into a black screen

kalloused

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I have a brand new build for my father in law. I've spent weeks getting all the kinks out of it unitl it has been running beautifully.
It is on it's second motherboard,second graphics card and second set of HDD.

I had everything working perfectly(temps,voltage,etc)

he runs Win 7 64-bit professional. He has spent 3 days installing all of his school software and installed his hardware.
It ran without a hitch and rebooted when needed for install.

He installed his printer last night, it needed to reboot and then it rebooted back into win 7 just fine. he went to bed and the computer went to sleep.

When he went to get on it this morning he got on it fine and went to church. He came home and got a blackscreen with a movable cursor. Rebooted,same thing. Booting into safemode results in the same thing, safemmode with networking same thing.
can't get past this "Black Screen of death"

I'm not sure if Win 7 did an automatic update on his video card and screwed up the driver(which I have read many reports of but the solution was always "safe mode, then vga drivers" or what.

The windows forums provide no help as usual and Microsoft is quick to blame the chipset manufacturer.

Any ideas?

His video card is an ASUS Nvida gt 430 1 gig 128-bit.

Would LOVE any suggestions. I have tried everything to get this system to run flawlessly for my father in law and would like to get it to keep running without problems. :fou:

kalloused

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
any ideas? I keep reading so many different things everywhere. "Ctrl alt delete,prvex fix" "manual registry fix" "boot from cd and repair install"
But I trust you guys more and would like your advice first.

kalloused

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I fixed the problem for anyone with a similar situation in the future.

Some time in the midle of the night Windows did an update that interfered with some hardware. I reset the computer and pressed F8 until I got the option to repair the computer.

I restored the computer to a former working point(which was right before the update at about 4 in the morning) I restored it and succesfully booted into Win 7.

I disabled automatic updates to further prevent this issue from happening again.
Hope anyone in the future with this problem reads this and is able to fix the problem using this method.

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.

You should probably try to figure out exactly which update caused the problem and disable ONLY that one while turning automatic updates back on again. There's a constant arms race between virus writers and security patches and if you opt out of updates then you're putting yourself more at risk than you need to be.

kalloused

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I will do this. It's just going to have to be a temporary solution for now as I don't get many opps. to actually be in front of my father in laws computer. I am usually doing research and relaying tech support to him over the phone or e-mail. So the next time I am able to spend a few hours at his house I'll be able to find out which update it is.