S2460 processor possibilities

Hi,

I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
molex mod to the ATX connector.

Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)? I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs for
this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a better
choice...? Thanks.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

R. J. Salvi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
> the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
> accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
> molex mod to the ATX connector.
>
> Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
> Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)?

I built a few systems using this board, initially with
processors in the 1600+ to 1900+ range. Some of them
were later upgraded to 2400+ with no problems. I attempted
to upgrade another to 2600+ but the system would only boot
when the second processor was pulled - I ended up settling
for 2400+ in that system too.

> I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs for
> this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a better
> choice...? Thanks.

XP's and MP's at the same rating (eg., 2400+) are
identical except for a few trivial differences and
hence use the same amount of power and generate
the same amount of heat.

Note also that a pair of Opteron 242's will set you
back about the same amount as a pair of MP 2800's.
If you can afford another $400 to $550 for a dual
socket 940 motherboard, you should give it serious
thought - an Opty 242 dualie will run circles around
an MP2800 dualie in just about everything.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> R. J. Salvi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
>> the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
>> accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
>> molex mod to the ATX connector.
>>
>> Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
>> Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)?
>
> I built a few systems using this board, initially with
> processors in the 1600+ to 1900+ range. Some of them
> were later upgraded to 2400+ with no problems. I attempted
> to upgrade another to 2600+ but the system would only boot
> when the second processor was pulled - I ended up settling
> for 2400+ in that system too.

PSU issue maybe? Also -- and as I understand it -- the newer Bartons are
multiplier locked. Is this accurate? If so, I'd be running the Bartons
underclocked, so maybe a slower unlocked 333MHz CPU would provide the same
results. I'm not planning to overclock them per se, I'm just trying to get
max. performance from a 333MHz CPU on a 266MHz FSB.

> > I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs for
>> this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a better
>> choice...? Thanks.
>>

> XP's and MP's at the same rating (eg., 2400+) are
> identical except for a few trivial differences and
> hence use the same amount of power and generate
> the same amount of heat.

Okay, that solves that.

> Note also that a pair of Opteron 242's will set you
> back about the same amount as a pair of MP 2800's.
> If you can afford another $400 to $550 for a dual
> socket 940 motherboard, you should give it serious
> thought - an Opty 242 dualie will run circles around
> an MP2800 dualie in just about everything.

The board was free and I have all but the CPUs and memory. Going OEM CPU and
aftermarket HSF will set me back less than $400 (not including RAM). It's
just a "let's see, what if" project. I've had no previous experience with
AMD so it'll be fun to see what happens. Thanks Rob.
--

R. J. Salvi wrote:
> "Rob Stow" <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>R. J. Salvi wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
>>>the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
>>>accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
>>>molex mod to the ATX connector.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
>>>Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)?
>>
>>I built a few systems using this board, initially with
>>processors in the 1600+ to 1900+ range. Some of them
>>were later upgraded to 2400+ with no problems. I attempted
>>to upgrade another to 2600+ but the system would only boot
>>when the second processor was pulled - I ended up settling
>>for 2400+ in that system too.
>

> PSU issue maybe?

I think I eliminated that. Even when I disconnected
the hard drives, DVD, etc., the system wouldn't POST.
I've also used the same PSU to drive a pair of 2800MP's
on an S2466 loaded with 4 SATA drives, a DVD burner,
and 4 GB of RAM.

> Also -- and as I understand it -- the newer Bartons are
> multiplier locked. Is this accurate? If so, I'd be running the Bartons
> underclocked, so maybe a slower unlocked 333MHz CPU would provide the same
> results. I'm not planning to overclock them per se, I'm just trying to get
> max. performance from a 333MHz CPU on a 266MHz FSB.

The Barton 2800MP's have a 266 MHz FSB. Probably just
recognition by AMD that every Athlon MP motherboard uses
AMD's 760 or 760MPX chipsets - which support only 200
and 266 MHz FSB.

And yes, the multiplier is locked.

>>>I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs for
>>>this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a better
>>>choice...? Thanks.
>>>

>>XP's and MP's at the same rating (eg., 2400+) are
>>identical except for a few trivial differences and
>>hence use the same amount of power and generate
>>the same amount of heat.
>

> Okay, that solves that.
>

>>Note also that a pair of Opteron 242's will set you
>>back about the same amount as a pair of MP 2800's.
>>If you can afford another $400 to $550 for a dual
>>socket 940 motherboard, you should give it serious
>>thought - an Opty 242 dualie will run circles around
>>an MP2800 dualie in just about everything.
>

> The board was free and I have all but the CPUs and memory. Going OEM CPU and
> aftermarket HSF will set me back less than $400 (not including RAM). It's
> just a "let's see, what if" project. I've had no previous experience with
> AMD so it'll be fun to see what happens. Thanks Rob.

Turns out my price comparison was wrong anyway. I was looking
at prices for the Opty 142, not the 242 - which costs significantly
more.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
> the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
> accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
> molex mod to the ATX connector.
>
> Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
> Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)? I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs for
> this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a better
> choice...? Thanks.
>
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514

I have had MP2800+ CPU's running in my TigerMP Since Feburary 2004. Details
at http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=383057.

It's been perfectly stable and reliable for me.

SnowGost

<SnowGhost> wrote in message

> "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just inherited an S2460 and after a bit of research, I've found that
>> the MP 1900 is not the highest performing processor that the S2460 will
>> accomodate (unofficially). And for the modders, yes, I am aware of the 5V
>> molex mod to the ATX connector.
>>
>> Does anyone have this board and are you running an MP CPU at higher than
>> Tyan's rating., or using XP chip(s)? I was contemplating dual 2800 MPs
>> for this board, but if XPs have less current draw, perhaps they'd be a
>> better choice...? Thanks.

> I have had MP2800+ CPU's running in my TigerMP Since Feburary 2004.
> Details at http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=383057.
>
> It's been perfectly stable and reliable for me.

Sounds promising. Thanks!