Wide Screen monitor on Windows XP Pro

I have Windows XP Pro installed on my PC at home, and I am considering the
purchase of a wide screen PC monitor, in particular this model:

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=9902&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=4288051543

My question is, will XP automatically configure the display format for the
non-standard resolution (1600 x 1050) or is this down to any drivers which
may be supplied with the monitor? Does WXP recognise this display
resultion?

Mike.
3 answers Last reply
More about wide screen monitor windows

    Display resolution is determined by the capabilities of the display
    adapter and it's driver. Convinient settings will be determined by the
    monitor .inf file. If both of those are correctly installed then you may
    pick any supported resolution you wish. XP won't care.

    ..:mike:. wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro installed on my PC at home, and I am considering the
    > purchase of a wide screen PC monitor, in particular this model:
    >
    > http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=9902&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=4288051543
    >
    > My question is, will XP automatically configure the display format for the
    > non-standard resolution (1600 x 1050) or is this down to any drivers which
    > may be supplied with the monitor? Does WXP recognise this display
    > resultion?
    >
    > Mike.

    I would imagine that it is supplied with an installation CD which will then
    tell XP that 1600 x 1050 is an available resolution..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    ".:mike:." <account.management@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Pro installed on my PC at home, and I am considering the
    > purchase of a wide screen PC monitor, in particular this model:
    >
    > http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=9902&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=4288051543
    >
    > My question is, will XP automatically configure the display format for the
    > non-standard resolution (1600 x 1050) or is this down to any drivers which
    > may be supplied with the monitor? Does WXP recognise this display
    > resultion?
    >
    > Mike.

    I purchased a Dell 20" FP and by mistake got a wide aspect screen instead of
    a normal (4:3)res (1600x1200). I decided to keep the wide screen and give it
    to someone else at my company. I had to upgrade the computer (win2000) to a
    new video card with drivers that supported the 16:9 resolution. Dell's site
    stated this for the wide screen monitor - only supported on certain computers
    that had the particular video cards/integrated hardware with drivers to
    support it.

    Paul.

    ".:mike:." wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro installed on my PC at home, and I am considering the
    > purchase of a wide screen PC monitor, in particular this model:
    >
    > http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=9902&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=4288051543
    >
    > My question is, will XP automatically configure the display format for the
    > non-standard resolution (1600 x 1050) or is this down to any drivers which
    > may be supplied with the monitor? Does WXP recognise this display
    > resultion?
    >
    > Mike.

Monitors Windows XP