Tyan S2668 memory issue

I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I also
purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However, the
motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.

I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings of
7-3-3, but no luck.

Any other thoughts?
3 answers Last reply
More about tyan s2668 memory issue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
    only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
    you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do. However,
    if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
    seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.

    --
    Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

    "News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
    >I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
    >also
    > purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
    > http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However,
    > the
    > motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
    >
    > I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings of
    > 7-3-3, but no luck.
    >

    > Any other thoughts?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    There are indeed chips on both sides of the sticks. My guess is that it has
    to do with the timing, but I can't prove that yet. I have memory4less
    sending me some different sticks.

    Thanks for the help.

    "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
    > Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
    > only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
    > you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do. However,
    > if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
    > seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.
    >
    > --
    > Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    > http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
    > San Diego, CA USA
    > (858) 485-7514
    >
    > "News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
    > >I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
    > >also
    > > purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
    > > http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However,
    > > the
    > > motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
    > >
    > > I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings
    of
    > > 7-3-3, but no luck.
    > >

    > > Any other thoughts?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    You're welcome. You know, one other thing crosses my mind...have you tried
    the RAM in a different slot(s)?...and have you tried one stick at a time to
    verify that they both work?

    --
    "News" <news@news.net> wrote in message
    > There are indeed chips on both sides of the sticks. My guess is that it
    > has
    > to do with the timing, but I can't prove that yet. I have memory4less
    > sending me some different sticks.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >

    > "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
    >> Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
    >> only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
    >> you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do.
    >> However,
    >> if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
    >> seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    >> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
    >> San Diego, CA USA
    >> (858) 485-7514
    >>
    >> "News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
    >> >I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
    >> >also
    >> > purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
    >> > http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683).
    >> > However,
    >> > the
    >> > motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
    >> >
    >> > I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings
    > of
    >> > 7-3-3, but no luck.
    >> >

    >> > Any other thoughts?

Tyan Motherboards Memory