Tyan S2668 memory issue

I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I also
purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However, the
motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.

I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings of
7-3-3, but no luck.

Any other thoughts?

Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do. However,
if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
>I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
>also
> purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
> http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However,
> the
> motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
>
> I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings of
> 7-3-3, but no luck.
>

> Any other thoughts?

There are indeed chips on both sides of the sticks. My guess is that it has
to do with the timing, but I can't prove that yet. I have memory4less
sending me some different sticks.

Thanks for the help.

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
> Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
> only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
> you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do. However,
> if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
> seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.
>
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514
>
> "News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
> >I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
> >also
> > purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
> > http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683). However,
> > the
> > motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
> >
> > I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings
of
> > 7-3-3, but no luck.
> >

> > Any other thoughts?

You're welcome. You know, one other thing crosses my mind...have you tried
the RAM in a different slot(s)?...and have you tried one stick at a time to
verify that they both work?

--
"News" <news@news.net> wrote in message
> There are indeed chips on both sides of the sticks. My guess is that it
> has
> to do with the timing, but I can't prove that yet. I have memory4less
> sending me some different sticks.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>

> "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@ambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>> Do the memory sticks have chips on both sides, or just one? The 2668 can
>> only address 512MB/bank. If your sticks only have chips on one side, then
>> you're asking the board to address 1GB/bank...which it cannot do.
>> However,
>> if the sticks *are* double-sided, then check to see if one of them isn't
>> seated correctly. Beyond that, I dunno.
>>
>> --
>> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
>> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
>> San Diego, CA USA
>> (858) 485-7514
>>
>> "News" <news@news.news> wrote in message
>> >I just purchased an S2668 motherboard, with dual 3.06 ghz Xeon CPUs. I
>> >also
>> > purchased two one-gigabyte memory sticks (full specs here:
>> > http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2507683).
>> > However,
>> > the
>> > motherboard only recognizes them as 512MB sticks.
>> >
>> > I tried changing the BIOS settings to manually use the CAS2.5 settings
> of
>> > 7-3-3, but no luck.
>> >

>> > Any other thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS