Help - I've damaged my Tyan S2466-4M board!

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 30, 2004 9:53:36 PM

When I installed a new chipset cooler this morning I accidentally
knocked what looks like a capacitor off my S2466-4M motherboard.
(Those damn AMD collers are so hard to clip into place - my tool
slipped).

It's about 3mm in length, brown with a white stripe at each end. It's
located at the bottom left corner of CPU socket 1, between the first
CPU socket and the Northbridge. It's unlabelled but is about 10mm
above two identical capacitors (?) marked CT159 and CT636.

All directions are taken from the perspective shown in the official
Tyan picture (can be found here

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/img_mobo/i_s2466.tif

This has CPU socket 1 at the bottom and CPU socket 2 at the top of the
picture.

My questions:
1. Help! what have I done? What does this thing do and will my board
be useless without it?

2. Assuming I have to replace it, what sort of part is it, and where
do I get it???

I can send a jpeg showing te exact location of the part on the m/b.

JD
December 31, 2004 5:51:01 PM

Have just tested by board - it runs the BIOS tests okay but will not boot.

In the tif file I referred to in my first post, the offending component is
at loction (X,Y) = (575,520) in the picture.
December 31, 2004 5:51:02 PM

JD wrote:

> Have just tested by board - it runs the BIOS tests okay but will not boot.
>
> In the tif file I referred to in my first post, the offending component is
> at loction (X,Y) = (575,520) in the picture.

If the part is not damaged, but was just knocked loose, then you could take
it to a highly skilled electronics tech and have them solder it back on the
board for you. An alternative might be to check with Tyan and see if they
will do the repair. If I remember correctly, there have been posts in this
group some time ago where folks have gotten their boards fixed by Tyan.

Eric
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 5:07:06 PM

"JD" <fiachmac@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have just tested by board - it runs the BIOS tests okay but will not boot.
>
> In the tif file I referred to in my first post, the offending component is
> at loction (X,Y) = (575,520) in the picture.

That looks like a bypass capacitor. If the component isn't damaged, you
should be able to solder it back into place.

You'll need a 25W or 30W soldering iron, something to hold the capacitor
in place with, some solder, precision, and patience. Carefully hold the
capacitor in place with something other than your fingers. Then heat one end
of the capactior where it meets the board, melt a small amount of solder,
and then take the iron away. Wait a few seconds for things to cool before
you do the other side.

If it is damaged, you can probably replace it with any other similar
looking bypass capacitor. Just pull one off a board you don't need. The
exact value probably doesn't matter very much.

DS
!