Keyboard is locked on bootup.

An odd thing has started to happen recently with my PC.

On booting up, just before Windows (XP Pro) starts to load up, I get the
error message:

"KEYBOARD IS LOCKED OUT - UNLOCK THE KEY"

The computer then waits for me to press the F1 key to continue loading
Windows, and once Windows is loaded everything is fine. I know the keyboard
itself isn't faulty as I have tried two other keyboards and the same error
appears. I have tried switching from USB to PS2 and again the same error
appears.

I have tried updating the BIOS on my motherboard (ASUS P4S533 Bios Ver 1011)
and that has not fixed the problem.

I'd appreciate some help here as although it isn't a showstopper, it is
annoying.

Mike.

Keyboard is locked out - unlock the key
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER37-c.html

[[Keyboard is locked out - Unlock the key
This message usually indicates that one or more keys have been pressed
during the keyboard tests. Be sure no objects are resting on the keyboard.]]
http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/Award+Error+Codes.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:lbVse.35838$8m5.14269@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net,
..:mike:. <account.management@ntlworld.com> hunted and pecked:
> An odd thing has started to happen recently with my PC.
>
> On booting up, just before Windows (XP Pro) starts to load up, I get the
> error message:
>
> "KEYBOARD IS LOCKED OUT - UNLOCK THE KEY"
>
> The computer then waits for me to press the F1 key to continue loading
> Windows, and once Windows is loaded everything is fine. I know the
> keyboard itself isn't faulty as I have tried two other keyboards and the
> same error appears. I have tried switching from USB to PS2 and again the
> same error appears.
>
> I have tried updating the BIOS on my motherboard (ASUS P4S533 Bios Ver
> 1011) and that has not fixed the problem.
>
> I'd appreciate some help here as although it isn't a showstopper, it is
> annoying.
>
> Mike.

I don't know about your computer, but look around the outside, does it
have an actual key lock, with an icon of an open or closed padlock?
It could also be a mobo cable that has come loose from the case.
Or you may have to clear the CMOS then re flash the bios with the
original bios. In Dos.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

> Keyboard is locked out - unlock the key
> http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER37-c.html
>
> [[Keyboard is locked out - Unlock the key
> This message usually indicates that one or more keys have been pressed
> during the keyboard tests. Be sure no objects are resting on the
keyboard.]]

http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/AwardBIOS/Award+Error+Codes.htm

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the reply Wes. As I indicated in my post, I have tried two other
keyboards on my machine, and the same fault occurs (and there are definitely
no keys being depressed on bootup). There is no keylock as such on my
machine (not externally anyway!) so there can be no malfunction with that.

All three keyboards are USB, but I also tried then in the PS2 ports with a
USB to PS2 adaptor.

I suppose the next thing to do would be to search the Net for some kind of
keyboard/port tester?

Mike.

"Treeman" <Treeman.1qtwks@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> I don't know about your computer, but look around the outside, does it
> have an actual key lock, with an icon of an open or closed padlock?
> It could also be a mobo cable that has come loose from the case.
> Or you may have to clear the CMOS then re flash the bios with the
> original bios. In Dos.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

No, there is no keylock on my PC.

I have kind of "fixed" the problem. In my bios there are options for
stopping of errors. It was set to "stop on all errors", but I spotted an
option "stop on all except keyboard" so I set it to that. That has stopped
the problem. Whether it leads to others is another thing!

Mike.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:44:08 GMT, .:mike:. wrote:

> No, there is no keylock on my PC.
>
> I have kind of "fixed" the problem. In my bios there are options for
> stopping of errors. It was set to "stop on all errors", but I spotted an
> option "stop on all except keyboard" so I set it to that. That has stopped
> the problem. Whether it leads to others is another thing!

Mike, USB keyboards aren't active until the operating system loads them
-or- until the portion of BIOS is engaged that allows support for them
outside of the operating system. Since disabling the stop on error for
keyboard allows the keyboard to function normally, I think you're set to
go.

The only other thing I can think of to suggest is to check BIOS for
settings that support a USB keyboard outside of the operating system and
enable them. If you have a USB mouse, there could be similar BIOS settings
that apply.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You have not yet seen "Keyboard not found, Press F1 to continue."? :)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:27:14 -0500, Treeman wrote:

> Bios writers must have a dry sense of humor! :D

And metinks one of them works for Microsoft: "To shutdown, click start..."
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User