Quick question... trying to start the subject service gets an error message
in response: Error 126 Specified module could not be found. Checked to
make sure dependencies were met, OK. Everything seems to be working it is
just a pain to have these unknown errors in event viewer.

Anyone has a thought would appreciate your time.

TIA
Len

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:42:41 -0400, Len Mattix wrote:

> Quick question... trying to start the subject service gets an error message
> in response: Error 126 Specified module could not be found. Checked to
> make sure dependencies were met, OK. Everything seems to be working it is
> just a pain to have these unknown errors in event viewer.
>
> Anyone has a thought would appreciate your time.
>
> TIA
> Len

Do you have any devices plugged in that use the HID service? Are they
working devices (worked successfully on another system or not too long ago
on the current machine)? Current drivers installed for the device?

Sometimes "errors" in Event Viewer are informational instead of actual
errors. For example, this one may just be representative of a timing issue.
When the service loads, it has not yet discovered a HID device so an error
is noted in the log.

Or perhaps the device that uses this service is not always attached. The
service will "fail" when the device is not present as it is not needed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the response! Found the below from another MVP over in the
general group and checked my system. Sure enough two of the three files are
not on my XP installation. Will try this idea first as it probably can not
start without the needed files.

Could not start the Human Interface Device Access service on Local
> Computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found
>
> Extract hidserv.dll, mouhid.sys and mouclass.sys from drivers.cab in the
> Windows XP CD to "<Systemroot>\Windows\System32\" to fix the issue.
>
> 1.Insert Windows XP Setup CD.
> 2.Browse to <CD-ROM>:\i386\drivers.cab
> 3.Double click the drivers.cab file. The compressed files in the Cab file
> will be listed.
> 4.Copy the three files to <SystemRoot>\windows\system32\. Reboot the
> computer.
>
> The Human Interface Device Access service will then be started.

Thanks again,
Len

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:30:51 -0400, Len Mattix wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Thanks for the response! Found the below from another MVP over in the
> general group and checked my system. Sure enough two of the three files are
> not on my XP installation. Will try this idea first as it probably can not
> start without the needed files.

Sounds like a plan, Len.

Since you made no mention of having a hardware problem, I'm not sure that's
necessary. In any case, the worst that will happen is that you'll have new
copies of those files and hopefully the error message should be gone.
Neither of these things are "bad" so you may as well go for it. :)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User