Tyran going to make any DUAL core dual CPU mobos ??

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 7:14:31 AM

Amd or Intell boards ??

Somthing to look foward to.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 7:14:32 AM

Hi, good news, dual core will be capable on most any Opteron motherboard,
its same socket, maybe updated bios thats all. Microsoft counts 1 socket as
1 license, whether its dual or quad.

Doug
www.lynnncomp.com

--
>This email was scanned and declared virus free by
Norton Antivirus<
"Helllo" <scampy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Amd or Intell boards ??
>
> Somthing to look foward to.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 7:14:32 AM

Helllo wrote:

> Amd or Intell boards ??
>
> Somthing to look foward to.
>
> Thanks.

Initial AMD dual-core chips will be only for Socket 940
motherboards and will be compatible with all of the the current
Socket 940 motherboards. If a motherboard's manufacturer
properly followed AMD's initial Socket 940 thermal/electrical
specifications then dual-core compatibility is guaranteed for
that motherboard. At most a BIOS upgrade will be needed so that
the chip is properly identified at POST.

When Socket 939 versions of those chips eventually appear they
will also be backwards compatible. Ditto for when Socket 1270
motherboards and chips are slated to appear - Q2 2006, IIRC.
Dual-core for Socket 754 is not going to happen.

No idea what is supposed to happen with Intel's dual-core chips
insofar as mobo compatibility is concerned.

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

Lynn Computer Products wrote:

[SNIP]

> Doug
> www.lynnncomp.com

Anything to say about when you might have some S2895's in stock ?

The sooner the better for me. A friend of mine is impatient to
replace his S2885 - and the sooner he does that, the sooner I can
get my hands on his old S2885 and build my own dualie.