Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Multiselect

I have gone through three wireless keyboard/mouse packages recently. The
first included a mouse which consumed 1 battery a week. The second inckluded
a keyboard on which the space bar was loose. Staples replaced the keyboard
from the second set and when I got home I found the new one didn't work with
the receiver. Anyhow, I was bumped up from a basic set to the Comfort set.

With all three, I have had an anoying problem with multiple selection of
files. When I use the shift or ctrl keys and my left mouse button to select
multiple files, sometimes after selecting several files they spontaneously
deselect. Other times, it's like I'm not holding down the key at all. I
haven't found any information on the web, in the help files or in this forum.
I have tried changing all of the settings I can think of. Any suggestions
or similar experiences?--
Jonathon
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless keyboard mouse multiselect

    What make of Keyboard and Mouse. I have been using the Microsoft Explorer set and have never had any problems at all

    --
    Peter

    "Jonathon H" <JonathonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C085F0A-E0F7-4B88-ADF6-DC28DBB7F2CC@microsoft.com...
    >I have gone through three wireless keyboard/mouse packages recently. The
    > first included a mouse which consumed 1 battery a week. The second inckluded
    > a keyboard on which the space bar was loose. Staples replaced the keyboard
    > from the second set and when I got home I found the new one didn't work with
    > the receiver. Anyhow, I was bumped up from a basic set to the Comfort set.
    >
    > With all three, I have had an anoying problem with multiple selection of
    > files. When I use the shift or ctrl keys and my left mouse button to select
    > multiple files, sometimes after selecting several files they spontaneously
    > deselect. Other times, it's like I'm not holding down the key at all. I
    > haven't found any information on the web, in the help files or in this forum.
    > I have tried changing all of the settings I can think of. Any suggestions
    > or similar experiences?--
    > Jonathon

    Make sure you keep the base station away from electrical devices and metal
    surfaces.
    Could be interference from the monitor or whatnot.
    Ted

    "Jonathon H" <JonathonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have gone through three wireless keyboard/mouse packages recently. The
    > first included a mouse which consumed 1 battery a week. The second
    > inckluded
    > a keyboard on which the space bar was loose. Staples replaced the
    > keyboard
    > from the second set and when I got home I found the new one didn't work
    > with
    > the receiver. Anyhow, I was bumped up from a basic set to the Comfort
    > set.
    >
    > With all three, I have had an anoying problem with multiple selection of
    > files. When I use the shift or ctrl keys and my left mouse button to
    > select
    > multiple files, sometimes after selecting several files they spontaneously
    > deselect. Other times, it's like I'm not holding down the key at all. I
    > haven't found any information on the web, in the help files or in this
    > forum.
    > I have tried changing all of the settings I can think of. Any suggestions
    > or similar experiences?--
    > Jonathon

    Hi.

    I'm new to this group, but I think I can offer some insight on this issue.

    I had the exact problem that you are describing (I have a Microsoft Wireless
    Optical Desktop v1.1). The solution, as Ted suspected, was interference
    with the wireless signal. I confirmed this by troubleshooting the problem
    with Microsoft hardware tech support. You can confirm the wireless
    interference issue by typing "mskey" in the run command from the start menu.
    This utility will show you when Windows XP registers a key being pressed or
    released.

    For me, the interference was caused ba a pair of audio monitors (speakers
    with large magnets) that were located too close to the wireless receiver.
    The magnetic field was causing interference. Repositioning the wireless
    receiver fixed my problem.

    Additionally, it seemed that the reason that I had trouble with mulitselect
    was that the Ctrl or Alt key would not register as being pressed when I
    moved the wireless mouse. Let me give you a few troubleshooting tips that
    MS hardware support gave me:

    1) Try repositioning the wireless receiver. Move it closer to the keyboard
    and mouse. (This worked for me)
    2) If the wireless receiver is plugged into the mouse and keyboard PS/2
    ports of your computer, plug it into a USB port instead (This didn't work
    for me)
    3) Change the frequency of the wireless mouse. It may be on a similar
    frequency to the wireless keyboard, which can cause interference. You
    change the frequency by pressing the "connect" button on the bottom of the
    wireless mouse (or keyboard). I believe that this button will only toggle
    between two frequencies, but I may be mistaken on this. (This may have had
    some effect in my situation)
    4) The interference may be caused by a flat panel monitor set to a 75 MHz
    refresh rate. If this is the case, changing the refresh rate on the monitor
    may decrease the interference. (I'm dealing with this issue now, but
    haven't had any luck using this suggestion. I have only gotten results by
    moving the wireless receiver.)

    One last thing that I have learned through exprerience is that any magnetic
    field may interfere with a wireless device. I live in an older houe (built
    circa 1929), and I have noticed that there are stronger magnetic fields in
    the corners of some rooms in my house (enough to badly distort the display
    on a CRT monitor). I assume this is due to the electrical wiring, which is
    largely knob and tube. If you find you have a similar situation, moving
    your computer to another area (if possible) may solve your problem.

    I hope you fine some of these suggestions to be of help.

    Josh
    "Jonathon H" <JonathonH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have gone through three wireless keyboard/mouse packages recently. The
    > first included a mouse which consumed 1 battery a week. The second
    > inckluded
    > a keyboard on which the space bar was loose. Staples replaced the
    > keyboard
    > from the second set and when I got home I found the new one didn't work
    > with
    > the receiver. Anyhow, I was bumped up from a basic set to the Comfort
    > set.
    >
    > With all three, I have had an anoying problem with multiple selection of
    > files. When I use the shift or ctrl keys and my left mouse button to
    > select
    > multiple files, sometimes after selecting several files they spontaneously
    > deselect. Other times, it's like I'm not holding down the key at all. I
    > haven't found any information on the web, in the help files or in this
    > forum.
    > I have tried changing all of the settings I can think of. Any suggestions
    > or similar experiences?--
    > Jonathon

    Thanks for all your help. I moved the receiver a foot and a half away from
    my speakers and monitor and everything seems fine. I wish I hadn't spent an
    hour and a half last night trying to squeeze that out of the microsoft
    website and software help.

    Have a Great Week,

    --
    Jonathon