S2676 on-board line-out jack gives no audio

I set up two S2676 motherboards running windows server 2003 recently.
The Intel chipset drivers & the Soundmax audio driver were installed
from the CDROM supplied. However no audio except the faint beep sound
(originally from the on-board buzzer) was heard from the line-out jack
(the middle one). But when I performed the audio hardware testing that
comes with windows server 2003 the audio meter reacted as I plugged in
the microphone & made some noise. That means at least the mic-in jack
is working.

This problem occurs in both motherboards.

Originally the motherboards have BIOS version 2.01 beta. After
encountering such incident I upgraded them to version 2.01 downloaded
from Tyan web site just earlier today. But still no luck.

Any idea to fix/work around this apart from getting another audio
card? There's an audio connector inside but unfortunately the manual
doesn't provide any details of the pins. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Do you have the on-board audio enabled in the BIOS?

You might also check to make sure the speaker plug is fully seated in the
line-out socket. Sometimes those sockets can be a bit tight giving one a
false sense of security regarding the mechanical connection between plug and
socket.
--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"Alan Yim" <alkiwayi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I set up two S2676 motherboards running windows server 2003 recently.
> The Intel chipset drivers & the Soundmax audio driver were installed
> from the CDROM supplied. However no audio except the faint beep sound
> (originally from the on-board buzzer) was heard from the line-out jack
> (the middle one). But when I performed the audio hardware testing that
> comes with windows server 2003 the audio meter reacted as I plugged in
> the microphone & made some noise. That means at least the mic-in jack
> is working.
>
> This problem occurs in both motherboards.
>
> Originally the motherboards have BIOS version 2.01 beta. After
> encountering such incident I upgraded them to version 2.01 downloaded
> from Tyan web site just earlier today. But still no luck.
>
> Any idea to fix/work around this apart from getting another audio
> card? There's an audio connector inside but unfortunately the manual
> doesn't provide any details of the pins. Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.

Thank you for your suggestion, Robert. Of course the on-board audio
was already enabled. Otherwise the driver wouldn't have run & I
wouldn't have seen anything from the audio meters when I ran the audio
hardware testing.

Anyway I finally managed to get it resolved. I emailed Tyan tech
support right after posting this thread. Its automated response sent
me the latest FAQ specific to my motherboard. Fortunately my question
had been addressed before. To quickly summarize, the bad quality of
the manual is to blame. In particular the pin assignments. There're
quite a number of connectors & jumpers that are only described in
brief without detail pin assignments. For those with pin assignments,
there're quite a few with errors or even meaningless names. Luckily
they're only related to non-critical led connections. I only realized
this after reading the whole FAQ.

Back to the audio jack problem. It's actually due to a group of
jumpers that are marked "reserved" in the manual. Since they're
reserved jumpers, no further description was given in the manual.
According to the FAQ, two of them should be in close position. But
they were opened in both my motherboards... An supplement image of pin
assignments of those jumpers was given along with the FAQ. But
ironically, the position of one of the jumpers showing in the image is
incorrect. Fortunately I got it working at last.

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message news:<vQWQd.11975$xX3.3390@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Do you have the on-board audio enabled in the BIOS?
>
> You might also check to make sure the speaker plug is fully seated in the
> line-out socket. Sometimes those sockets can be a bit tight giving one a
> false sense of security regarding the mechanical connection between plug and
> socket.
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514

Glad to hear you got it going...sounds like a real kluge. Would you please
post the "problem" jumper number and what the correct pin position of it
should be for on-board sound? Thx.

--

> Thank you for your suggestion, Robert. Of course the on-board audio
> was already enabled. Otherwise the driver wouldn't have run & I
> wouldn't have seen anything from the audio meters when I ran the audio
> hardware testing.
>
> Anyway I finally managed to get it resolved. I emailed Tyan tech
> support right after posting this thread. Its automated response sent
> me the latest FAQ specific to my motherboard. Fortunately my question
> had been addressed before. To quickly summarize, the bad quality of
> the manual is to blame. In particular the pin assignments. There're
> quite a number of connectors & jumpers that are only described in
> brief without detail pin assignments. For those with pin assignments,
> there're quite a few with errors or even meaningless names. Luckily
> they're only related to non-critical led connections. I only realized
> this after reading the whole FAQ.
>
> Back to the audio jack problem. It's actually due to a group of
> jumpers that are marked "reserved" in the manual. Since they're
> reserved jumpers, no further description was given in the manual.
> According to the FAQ, two of them should be in close position. But
> they were opened in both my motherboards... An supplement image of pin
> assignments of those jumpers was given along with the FAQ. But
> ironically, the position of one of the jumpers showing in the image is
> incorrect. Fortunately I got it working at last.
>
> "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>> Do you have the on-board audio enabled in the BIOS?
>>
>> You might also check to make sure the speaker plug is fully seated in the
>> line-out socket. Sometimes those sockets can be a bit tight giving one a
>> false sense of security regarding the mechanical connection between plug
>> and
>> socket.

Hi Salvi,

Sorry for the late response. Here's the solution from Tyan support for
your convenience:

>Why can't I get audio from the onboard audio ports?
>Double check to see if there are 2 jumpers installed on pins 5 and 6
and then on 9 and 10 of P23. If there aren't, you'll need to install
two jumper shunts and short pins 5-6 and 9-10 on P23. P23 is near the
edge of the motherboard closest to the rear next to the last expansion
slot. Pin one is closest to the front of the board. Pin 5-6 are in the
center of the jumper block and across from each other. Pins 9-10 are
the last two sets of pins. Here is a picture to show how those jumpers
should look once installed. Once this is done you should get audio
from the onboard components.

The FAQ also comes with a diagram of P23. But it's incorrect... :(

Cheers,
Alan.

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message news:<FlORd.18963$xX3.6157@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> Glad to hear you got it going...sounds like a real kluge. Would you please
> post the "problem" jumper number and what the correct pin position of it
> should be for on-board sound? Thx.
>
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message

> Glad to hear you got it going...sounds like a real kluge. Would you please
> post the "problem" jumper number and what the correct pin position of it
> should be for on-board sound? Thx.

It's quite typical for a motherboard to have headers for a headphone
jack. When the headphones are connected, the speakers are muted (by having
the audio output disconnect). So you need the proper jumpers on the header
to get audio out without the headset jack switch connected. The only problem
in this case was bad documentation.

DS