S2676 (Thunder i7525) Memory issue

Hello,

anybody an idea why Corsair DDR2-400 1024 reg. Memory (CM73DD1024R-400/S)
doesn't work in the board Thunder i7525. CM73DD1024R-400/M ist recommended
by Tyan, but the only difference is the Manufacturer of the Chips (in their
case Micron, in my case Samsung).

Beep code without memory is 4-4-1-2 with the memory installed nothing
happens! So I believe the board and the CPUs are working...

regards,
Clemens

May we assume you've installed a pair of memory DIMMs...? The board won't
boot w/o a pair installed.

Beyond that, it might be a chip density, or board density issue. Are your
DIMMs populated on both sides with chips, or only one? Here's the Samsung
chip spec. page (scroll down to "Registered DIMM"):

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDR2SDRAM/index.htm

Here's Micron's:

http://www.micron.com/products/modules/ddr2sdram/partlist.aspx?pincount=240-pin&version=Registered&package=DIMM

Corsair ironically doesn't list a /M or /S version of the CM73DD1024R-400
which leads me to believe the PCB for both offerings is the same. If in fact
the PCB is the same, a logical conclusion might be that chip densities are
also alike. That being the case, I can't imagine why your DIMMs won't work
unless there's a subtle difference in power consumption between the Micron
and Samsung chips...one that's taxing your PSU.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"Udo Müller" <u.mueller@elwo.info> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> anybody an idea why Corsair DDR2-400 1024 reg. Memory (CM73DD1024R-400/S)
> doesn't work in the board Thunder i7525. CM73DD1024R-400/M ist recommended
> by Tyan, but the only difference is the Manufacturer of the Chips (in
> their
> case Micron, in my case Samsung).
>
> Beep code without memory is 4-4-1-2 with the memory installed nothing
> happens! So I believe the board and the CPUs are working...
>
> regards,
> Clemens

> May we assume you've installed a pair of memory DIMMs...? The board won't
> boot w/o a pair installed.

According to the manual the board will boot up with 1,2,4,6,8 installed
modules... I tried with 1, 2 and 4 identical modules.

> Beyond that, it might be a chip density, or board density issue. Are your
> DIMMs populated on both sides with chips, or only one? Here's the Samsung
> chip spec. page (scroll down to "Registered DIMM"):

The modules are constructed with chips "K4T51043QB" on both sides 9 each +
register chips.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDR2SDRAM/DDR2SDRAMcomponent/512Mbit/K4T51043QB/K4T51043QB.htm
The modules are 1 rank modules. Does someody know whether the Modules sold
by Corsair with Micron modules are also 1 rank modules (single row on each
side) or 2 rank modules (double row on each side = total of 36 chips)?

Can follow your argument concerning the organisation but I have also seen
some changes years ago with Kingston 256MB SD-RAM - First double sided later
single sided with the same type number!!!

Does sombody know whether I can use DDR2-533 modules with the board so that
I can verify which bios is on the board (if these chips are working)?

regards,
Clemens

>> May we assume you've installed a pair of memory DIMMs...? The board won't
>> boot w/o a pair installed.
>
> According to the manual the board will boot up with 1,2,4,6,8 installed
> modules... I tried with 1, 2 and 4 identical modules.

I stand corrected, you're absolutely right.

>> Beyond that, it might be a chip density, or board density issue. Are your
>> DIMMs populated on both sides with chips, or only one? Here's the Samsung
>> chip spec. page (scroll down to "Registered DIMM"):
>
> The modules are constructed with chips "K4T51043QB" on both sides 9 each +
> register chips.
> http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDR2SDRAM/DDR2SDRAMcomponent/512Mbit/K4T51043QB/K4T51043QB.htm
> The modules are 1 rank modules. Does someody know whether the Modules sold
> by Corsair with Micron modules are also 1 rank modules (single row on each
> side) or 2 rank modules (double row on each side = total of 36 chips)?

> Can follow your argument concerning the organisation but I have also seen
> some changes years ago with Kingston 256MB SD-RAM - First double sided
> later single sided with the same type number!!!

....problematic for the venerable BX board. ;-)

> Does sombody know whether I can use DDR2-533 modules with the board so
> that I can verify which bios is on the board (if these chips are working)?

Considering the problems you're experiencing with RAM of the same part
number (though different chip mfr.), I'd make sure I had the ability to
return any "test" RAM in case of incompatibility.

Keep us posted.
--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
San Diego, CA USA
(858) 485-7514

Thanks for your help

Will keep you updated! Next I will try other brand (maybe DDR2-533 ... hope
this is working).

regards,
Clemens

P.S.: I will talk to my distri on monday to check the RMA or what to try
next

Hi Clemens,
i have the same problem with my new Tyan S2676 Mainboard!

With 1x or 2x Xeon CPUs and 1x or 2x Kingston 1GB RAM Modules in Bank
1 (KVR400D2R3/1G) there is no Beep code, but Xeons will become hot.
Without RAM i got Beep code: 4-4-1-2 (same like you)
With RAM in Bank 2,3 or 4 i get this Beep code: 4-3-4-4
I tested the System with and without Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (PCIe) and
an older PCI ATI GPU --> only black Screen, no "normal" System
Beep!

Then i tested my Kingston RAM within a new HP XW8200 Workstation
--> HP System boots fine!!!
My Nvidia Quadro runs fine too --> RAM and GPU is OK!

I am very confused with this Mainboard...
I don´t belive that all two CPUs are damaged or something like that.

Does anybody knows more about this strange Mainboard ?
Or could it be the Power Unit ?!?

Greetings from Austria
WAWA

1x Tyan Thunder i7525 (S2676ANRF) Bios Version: 1.3
2x Intel Xeon 3400DP/1M/800 (SL7PG)
2x Kingston 1GB PC2-3200 REG CL3 ECC 240 Pin Dimm (KVR400D2R3/1G)
1x Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (PCI-e)
1x Antec 550W PSU (True550EPS12V PEC)

Solution:

Get working memory (i.e. 512MB modules), format a boot-disk and copy the
bios update on the disk.
Start the S2676 with this disk, perform the update!
After that you can swap to the new memory modules.

If you are not able to get a working module call your local Tyan support for
assistance.

regards,
Clemens

"Clemens Becher" <firstname@lastname.de> wrote in message news:<cv8ffc$j1h$1@online.de>...
> Thanks for your help
>
> Will keep you updated! Next I will try other brand (maybe DDR2-533 ... hope
> this is working).
>
> regards,
> Clemens
>
> P.S.: I will talk to my distri on monday to check the RMA or what to try
> next

Clemens, DDR2-533?? I'm afraid u can only use DDR2-400 RAM modules for
your motherboard. 533 is for video cards. Hope u only mistyped.

Good luck,
Alan.

render_wawa@gmx-dot-de.no-spam.invalid (WAWA) wrote in message news:<4218c642$1_2@alt.athenanews.com>...
> Hi Clemens,
> i have the same problem with my new Tyan S2676 Mainboard!
>
> With 1x or 2x Xeon CPUs and 1x or 2x Kingston 1GB RAM Modules in Bank
> 1 (KVR400D2R3/1G) there is no Beep code, but Xeons will become hot.
> Without RAM i got Beep code: 4-4-1-2 (same like you)
> With RAM in Bank 2,3 or 4 i get this Beep code: 4-3-4-4
> I tested the System with and without Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (PCIe) and
> an older PCI ATI GPU --> only black Screen, no "normal" System
> Beep!
>
> Then i tested my Kingston RAM within a new HP XW8200 Workstation
> --> HP System boots fine!!!
> My Nvidia Quadro runs fine too --> RAM and GPU is OK!
>
> I am very confused with this Mainboard...
> I don´t belive that all two CPUs are damaged or something like that.
>
> Does anybody knows more about this strange Mainboard ?
> Or could it be the Power Unit ?!?
>
> Greetings from Austria
> WAWA

> 1x Tyan Thunder i7525 (S2676ANRF) Bios Version: 1.3
> 2x Intel Xeon 3400DP/1M/800 (SL7PG)
> 2x Kingston 1GB PC2-3200 REG CL3 ECC 240 Pin Dimm (KVR400D2R3/1G)
> 1x Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (PCI-e)
> 1x Antec 550W PSU (True550EPS12V PEC)

Hi Wawa,

Hope u've already resolved your problem. If not, just put one of your
Kingston modules and upgrade the BIOS to 2.01 first & see whether this
fix your problem.

Good luck,
Alan.

"Alan Yim" <alkiwayi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> render_wawa@gmx-dot-de.no-spam.invalid (WAWA) wrote in message
>> 1x Tyan Thunder i7525 (S2676ANRF) Bios Version: 1.3
>> 2x Intel Xeon 3400DP/1M/800 (SL7PG)
>> 2x Kingston 1GB PC2-3200 REG CL3 ECC 240 Pin Dimm (KVR400D2R3/1G)
>> 1x Nvidia Quadro FX3400 (PCI-e)
>> 1x Antec 550W PSU (True550EPS12V PEC)
>
> Hi Wawa,
>
> Hope u've already resolved your problem. If not, just put one of your
> Kingston modules and upgrade the BIOS to 2.01 first & see whether this
> fix your problem.

I have exactly the same problem (same RAM, same PSU): The screen stays blank
and no beep code with one or two modules installed. If I remove both modules
I get 4-4-1-2. I currently only have an old PCI graphics card (nVidia Riva
128) installed. Is using only a PCI graphics card supported with this board?
The sticker on the BIOS chip says version 1.03. I assume I have to contact
Tyan to get the current BIOS version to get things running. Was anyone able
to solve this problem, yet?

> I have exactly the same problem (same RAM, same PSU): The screen stays
blank
> and no beep code with one or two modules installed. If I remove both
modules
> I get 4-4-1-2. I currently only have an old PCI graphics card (nVidia Riva
> 128) installed. Is using only a PCI graphics card supported with this
board?

I believe there is no problem!

> The sticker on the BIOS chip says version 1.03. I assume I have to contact
> Tyan to get the current BIOS version to get things running. Was anyone
able
> to solve this problem, yet?

Yes, I was! Upgrade your BIOS to 2,01 (you have to get working RAM - below
1GB modules - first ;-) or call tyan for assistance (new BIOS)!
Note: The BIOS chip is an SMT type socket - be carefull if you swap it with
the one you get from tyan.

Good luck

> Yes, I was! Upgrade your BIOS to 2,01 (you have to get working RAM - below
> 1GB modules - first ;-) or call tyan for assistance (new BIOS)!
> Note: The BIOS chip is an SMT type socket - be carefull if you swap it
> with
> the one you get from tyan.

I just received a new BIOS chip from Tyan, however it is still not working.
Also with the new BIOS chip I do not even get a beep code when no RAM is
installed.

"Bernhard Dietrich" <countryking@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote in message
> "Clemens Becher" <firstname@lastname.de> wrote in message
>> Yes, I was! Upgrade your BIOS to 2,01 (you have to get working RAM -
>> below
>> 1GB modules - first ;-) or call tyan for assistance (new BIOS)!
>> Note: The BIOS chip is an SMT type socket - be carefull if you swap it
>> with
>> the one you get from tyan.
>
> I just received a new BIOS chip from Tyan, however it is still not
> working.
> Also with the new BIOS chip I do not even get a beep code when no RAM is
> installed.

It is now working :) Tyan asked me to send in the board for RMA and sent it
back with a working 2.01 BIOS.