Problem with USB 2.0 Card Reader

I had been using an iWill 5-in-1 usb 2.0 card reader for quite a while now.

Lately, when I plug the card reader into the same usb slot, it doesn't work
anymore. What happens, it says it is a USB 2.0 device and can support
higher speed. Check the Drives lettering and only 1 drive is reported but
not working.

How do I test whether it is the usb port or card reader that is faulty?

Regards
Walter Wu

Go into Device Manager and scroll down to the UBS Controllers.... right
click and select Update Drivers.... then click on Update Drivers tab.

You want to ensure your USB ports are running the 2.0 drivers and haven't
somehow reverted to 1.1.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message
>I had been using an iWill 5-in-1 usb 2.0 card reader for quite a while now.
>
> Lately, when I plug the card reader into the same usb slot, it doesn't
> work anymore. What happens, it says it is a USB 2.0 device and can
> support higher speed. Check the Drives lettering and only 1 drive is
> reported but not working.
>
> How do I test whether it is the usb port or card reader that is faulty?
>
> Regards
> Walter Wu

Hi Cari,

Forgot to mentioned that I have done that already. The system reports it
the most current driver.

Tried uninstall the USB Controller and the system detected the "new"
hardware and re-installed the USB driver.

Tried disabling the USB 2.0 on the Device Manager only to find that the USB
keyboard and mouse no longer works and had to use a PS/2 mouse to login and
re-enable the USB 2.0 controller.

Thanks.

Regards
Walter Wu

> Go into Device Manager and scroll down to the UBS Controllers.... right
> click and select Update Drivers.... then click on Update Drivers tab.
>
> You want to ensure your USB ports are running the 2.0 drivers and haven't
> somehow reverted to 1.1.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message
>>I had been using an iWill 5-in-1 usb 2.0 card reader for quite a while
>>now.
>>
>> Lately, when I plug the card reader into the same usb slot, it doesn't
>> work anymore. What happens, it says it is a USB 2.0 device and can
>> support higher speed. Check the Drives lettering and only 1 drive is
>> reported but not working.
>>
>> How do I test whether it is the usb port or card reader that is faulty?
>>
>> Regards
>> Walter Wu

And they are listed as "Enhanced" or USB 2.0?
--

> Hi Cari,
>
> Forgot to mentioned that I have done that already. The system reports it
> the most current driver.
>
> Tried uninstall the USB Controller and the system detected the "new"
> hardware and re-installed the USB driver.
>
> Tried disabling the USB 2.0 on the Device Manager only to find that the
> USB keyboard and mouse no longer works and had to use a PS/2 mouse to
> login and re-enable the USB 2.0 controller.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards
> Walter Wu
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Go into Device Manager and scroll down to the UBS Controllers.... right
>> click and select Update Drivers.... then click on Update Drivers tab.
>>
>> You want to ensure your USB ports are running the 2.0 drivers and haven't
>> somehow reverted to 1.1.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message
>>>I had been using an iWill 5-in-1 usb 2.0 card reader for quite a while
>>>now.
>>>
>>> Lately, when I plug the card reader into the same usb slot, it doesn't
>>> work anymore. What happens, it says it is a USB 2.0 device and can
>>> support higher speed. Check the Drives lettering and only 1 drive is
>>> reported but not working.
>>>
>>> How do I test whether it is the usb port or card reader that is faulty?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Walter Wu

"USB2 Enhanced" is what is shown on the Device Manager.

> And they are listed as "Enhanced" or USB 2.0?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Cari,
>>
>> Forgot to mentioned that I have done that already. The system reports it
>> the most current driver.
>>
>> Tried uninstall the USB Controller and the system detected the "new"
>> hardware and re-installed the USB driver.
>>
>> Tried disabling the USB 2.0 on the Device Manager only to find that the
>> USB keyboard and mouse no longer works and had to use a PS/2 mouse to
>> login and re-enable the USB 2.0 controller.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards
>> Walter Wu
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> Go into Device Manager and scroll down to the UBS Controllers.... right
>>> click and select Update Drivers.... then click on Update Drivers tab.
>>>
>>> You want to ensure your USB ports are running the 2.0 drivers and
>>> haven't somehow reverted to 1.1.
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message

What shows up in Disk Management (Right click on My Computer, select Manage,
on the following screen, click on Disk Management... they will show up on
the right hand side of the screen).
--

> "USB2 Enhanced" is what is shown on the Device Manager.
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> And they are listed as "Enhanced" or USB 2.0?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Walter Wu" <walterwu@mymail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Cari,
>>>
>>> Forgot to mentioned that I have done that already. The system reports
>>> it the most current driver.
>>>
>>> Tried uninstall the USB Controller and the system detected the "new"
>>> hardware and re-installed the USB driver.
>>>
>>> Tried disabling the USB 2.0 on the Device Manager only to find that the
>>> USB keyboard and mouse no longer works and had to use a PS/2 mouse to
>>> login and re-enable the USB 2.0 controller.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Walter Wu
>>>
>>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message