adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

hi

i don't know why my ADSL light of my ADSL modem always lost signal. Once the
light is not flashing, i can't get onto the net. Then i tried to unplug the
telephone line and replug it, it still not working.After few more minutes,
it start working again. Why?

If the DSL indicator light is going out, you are not receiving a signal from
the telephone company. Call for repair service to correct the problem. Could
be your modem or the phone lines.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
>
> i don't know why my ADSL light of my ADSL modem always lost signal. Once
> the light is not flashing, i can't get onto the net. Then i tried to
> unplug the telephone line and replug it, it still not working.After few
> more minutes, it start working again. Why?

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

OK Thanks
> If the DSL indicator light is going out, you are not receiving a signal
> from the telephone company. Call for repair service to correct the
> problem. Could be your modem or the phone lines.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

> "Adrian" <a@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi
>>
>> i don't know why my ADSL light of my ADSL modem always lost signal. Once
>> the light is not flashing, i can't get onto the net. Then i tried to
>> unplug the telephone line and replug it, it still not working.After few
>> more minutes, it start working again. Why?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:46:48 -0400, "Richard Urban"

>If the DSL indicator light is going out, you are not receiving a signal from
>the telephone company. Call for repair service to correct the problem. Could
>be your modem or the phone lines.

If the pattern is always...
- I use the 'net and it's fine
- I stop doing anything online for a while
- the connection drops
- I reconnect (e.g. switch the router off and on)
- I successfully reconnect every time
....then that sounds more like an ISP-side inactivity timeout, rather
than a fouled line. If it were a fouled line, then not all attempts
to reconnect would work (assuming the foul isn't momentary).

If the above applies, check out your ISP's Terms and Conditions. If
compliant with these, set some sort of keep-alive traffic, such as a
check for new email every 5 minutes if the timeout is 10 minutes, etc.

If the pattern is always something like...
- I use the 'net and it's fine
- at exactly 00:00 each night, it stops working
- I reconnect (e.g. switch the router off and on)
- I successfully reconnect every time
....then that would be the ISP assigning a different IP addrses to your
connection, thus breaking the connect, and the router is not
automatically re-establishing the lost connect. Set the router to
reconnect automatically; that might fix both failure patterns.

Some ISPs may give you a "static" IP address, but most won't; most
will change it every now and then (say, every 24 hours) and that
requires the router to reconnect. There are two reasons to do this:

1) It makes it more difficult for ISP clients to host sites, etc.

2) It reduces the ISP client's risk of repeat visits from hackers

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!