S2460 BIOS...interesting

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2005 4:30:31 AM

I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported chip"
error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be so kind
to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing mine.

Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS Ver.
2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I won't
know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same chipset, it
looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite correctly. This might
be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't mentioned. fwiw...

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

More about : s2460 bios interesting

February 25, 2005 11:07:55 PM

"R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
>mine.
>
> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
> mentioned. fwiw...
>
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514

What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2005 2:34:38 AM

<SnowGhost> wrote in message

> "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
>>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
>>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
>>mine.
>>
>> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
>> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
>> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
>> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
>> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
>> mentioned. fwiw...

> What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
San Diego, CA USA
(858) 485-7514
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 17, 2005 2:11:34 PM

> <SnowGhost> wrote in message
> >
> > "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
> >>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
> >>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd
be
> >>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
> >>mine.
> >>
> >> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
> >> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed,
> >> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
> >> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
> >> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
> >> mentioned. fwiw...
>
> > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?
>
> If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

Is there any news?
Paul (ver curious!)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2005 10:36:22 PM

"Miloman" <paul.milo@xxxxxxxx.xx> wrote in message
> "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
>> <SnowGhost> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "R. J. Salvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
> be

>> > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?
>>
>> If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.
>
> Is there any news?
> Paul (ver curious!)

Sorry guys, I haven't gotten into it yet. I'll try to take some digipics of
the various BIOS screens and post a URL for you to view them. I've just been
overwhelmed with biz and haven't had time to explore the 2460. As soon as I
do, I'll be sure to post results.

Fwiw, the box has WinXP SP2 installed and it runs perfectly/hauls ass.

--
!