DVD writer/CD writer combo won't read DVD

I Have a HP pavilion as20a with a liteon DVD+RW SOHW-802S drive. The label on
my PC say that I can play DVD's on this computer. But the drive won't read
any DVD's. I have Intervideo Platium on my PC to play my DVD's. Please help
me and be really clear about it cause I'm a newbie at computer.

P.S my other drive is a Sansung CD-ROM SC-148A. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about writer writer combo read

    Can you please clarify if you're attempting to play a retail DVD such as a
    movie disk or a writeable -R / +R DVD Media. There are a number of things to
    look out for such as:
    1) DVD Media Type & Format (as identified above), DVD speed (4x, 8x, Dual or
    Single Layer etc)
    2) If commercial DVD, then what Region does the DVD belong to (Region 1, 2,
    3, 4)
    3) If Movie DVD, then what broadcast standard does it use NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    etc.

    More details would be good.

    --
    The_JAT

    "The_JAT" wrote:

    > Can you please clarify if you're attempting to play a retail DVD such as a
    > movie disk or a writeable -R / +R DVD Media. There are a number of things to
    > look out for such as:
    > 1) DVD Media Type & Format (as identified above), DVD speed (4x, 8x, Dual or
    > Single Layer etc)
    > 2) If commercial DVD, then what Region does the DVD belong to (Region 1, 2,
    > 3, 4)
    > 3) If Movie DVD, then what broadcast standard does it use NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    > etc.
    >
    > More details would be good.
    >
    > --
    > The_JAT
    >

    > "maddog" wrote:
    >
    > > I Have a HP pavilion as20a with a liteon DVD+RW SOHW-802S drive. The label on
    > > my PC say that I can play DVD's on this computer. But the drive won't read
    > > any DVD's. I have Intervideo Platium on my PC to play my DVD's. Please help
    > > me and be really clear about it cause I'm a newbie at computer.
    > >
    > > P.S my other drive is a Sansung CD-ROM SC-148A. Any help will be greatly
    > > appreciate.

    I'm not pretty sure about the detail of the DVD, but I try to play alot of
    different DVD and none of them work. All the DVD's I have are bought in USA
    so I guess it's region 1. But when I loaded in a VCD I burn using nero it
    worked. I hope this answer some of the question as I don't know much about
    computer.

    BTW have you tried another software such as Cyberlink Power DVD to try and
    play your DVD. ALso your LIteon DVD writer is +R and +RW only. SO you will
    need to make sure that any burned disks you play must be the +R/+RW format.
    You can find heaps of info on the DVD formats on Google. Just do a search.
    --
    The_JAT

    "maddog" wrote:

    > "The_JAT" wrote:
    >
    > > Can you please clarify if you're attempting to play a retail DVD such as a
    > > movie disk or a writeable -R / +R DVD Media. There are a number of things to
    > > look out for such as:
    > > 1) DVD Media Type & Format (as identified above), DVD speed (4x, 8x, Dual or
    > > Single Layer etc)
    > > 2) If commercial DVD, then what Region does the DVD belong to (Region 1, 2,
    > > 3, 4)
    > > 3) If Movie DVD, then what broadcast standard does it use NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > More details would be good.
    > >
    > > --
    > > The_JAT
    > >

    > > "maddog" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I Have a HP pavilion as20a with a liteon DVD+RW SOHW-802S drive. The label on
    > > > my PC say that I can play DVD's on this computer. But the drive won't read
    > > > any DVD's. I have Intervideo Platium on my PC to play my DVD's. Please help
    > > > me and be really clear about it cause I'm a newbie at computer.
    > > >
    > > > P.S my other drive is a Sansung CD-ROM SC-148A. Any help will be greatly
    > > > appreciate.
    >

    > I'm not pretty sure about the detail of the DVD, but I try to play alot of
    > different DVD and none of them work. All the DVD's I have are bought in USA
    > so I guess it's region 1. But when I loaded in a VCD I burn using nero it
    > worked. I hope this answer some of the question as I don't know much about
    > computer.

    Could be if you load in Windows Media Player V10 it will work.. I had to do
    this for mine because V9 don't have the drivers for the DVD.... Fnash

    "maddog" wrote:

    > I Have a HP pavilion as20a with a liteon DVD+RW SOHW-802S drive. The label on
    > my PC say that I can play DVD's on this computer. But the drive won't read
    > any DVD's. I have Intervideo Platium on my PC to play my DVD's. Please help
    > me and be really clear about it cause I'm a newbie at computer.
    >
    > P.S my other drive is a Sansung CD-ROM SC-148A. Any help will be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Could be if you load in Windows Medio Player V10 it will work... I had to do
    this for mine.. V9 does not have the drivers for DVD.. Fnash

    "maddog" wrote:

    > I Have a HP pavilion as20a with a liteon DVD+RW SOHW-802S drive. The label on
    > my PC say that I can play DVD's on this computer. But the drive won't read
    > any DVD's. I have Intervideo Platium on my PC to play my DVD's. Please help
    > me and be really clear about it cause I'm a newbie at computer.
    >
    > P.S my other drive is a Sansung CD-ROM SC-148A. Any help will be greatly
    > appreciated.

DVD DVD Writers Windows XP