Hi!
Have recentley bought an Intel PIII 866 / 133 MHz CPU for my tyan 1854
trinity 400.
Before, I used a PIII 600 / 100 MHz and set memory busrate to +33 MHZ. This
configuration worked for 4 years.
Now I have big troubles, since I use the 866.
I set memory bus speed bach to Auto. I turned on the machine, everything
works fine.
After some time, maybe 1 hour, maybe 6 hours, maybe 1 day, from one monemt
to another the screen turns black and the computer reboots. First I thought
that may be an operating system issue, and made a completely new
installation with the effect that the problem persists.

Now my question is: can this be a problem of the CPU (big cooler and
venting, pc-case is open, so I think that temperature should be no problem)?
The funny thing is that it works well for hours and then - bang...
Or is this related to the BIOS-settings; should I slow down the machine via
BIOS? Which settings would you consider?

Regards,
Peter

"Peter Mitterboeck" <willnichtzugespammtwerden@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Now my question is: can this be a problem of the CPU (big cooler and
> venting, pc-case is open, so I think that temperature should be no
> problem)?
> The funny thing is that it works well for hours and then - bang...
> Or is this related to the BIOS-settings; should I slow down the machine
> via
> BIOS? Which settings would you consider?

Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

DS

peter

Hi!

"David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

Thank you; I now found that the event log documents the same error every
time:
0x0000000a (0x0000002C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80440611) Microsoft
Windows 2000 [v15.2195]

Maybe this memory address 0x80440611 is the problem. I'll try to check this.

where can I get memtest86???

Regards,
Peter

peter

"David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

Hi1
I found memtest86 and ran it on the machine; first of all, memtest reports
errors at some addresses of the first memory chip. What is not clear for me
is the following point:
Memtest documentation says it cannot determine if an error occurs at the CPU
L1 and L2 cache or at the RAM chips. How can I find out if the CPU or RAM is
defect?

Regards,
Peter