Tyan Trinity 1854

Hi!
Have recentley bought an Intel PIII 866 / 133 MHz CPU for my tyan 1854
trinity 400.
Before, I used a PIII 600 / 100 MHz and set memory busrate to +33 MHZ. This
configuration worked for 4 years.
Now I have big troubles, since I use the 866.
I set memory bus speed bach to Auto. I turned on the machine, everything
works fine.
After some time, maybe 1 hour, maybe 6 hours, maybe 1 day, from one monemt
to another the screen turns black and the computer reboots. First I thought
that may be an operating system issue, and made a completely new
installation with the effect that the problem persists.

Now my question is: can this be a problem of the CPU (big cooler and
venting, pc-case is open, so I think that temperature should be no problem)?
The funny thing is that it works well for hours and then - bang...
Or is this related to the BIOS-settings; should I slow down the machine via
BIOS? Which settings would you consider?

Regards,
Peter
3 answers Last reply
More about tyan trinity 1854
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "Peter Mitterboeck" <willnichtzugespammtwerden@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Now my question is: can this be a problem of the CPU (big cooler and
    > venting, pc-case is open, so I think that temperature should be no
    > problem)?
    > The funny thing is that it works well for hours and then - bang...
    > Or is this related to the BIOS-settings; should I slow down the machine
    > via
    > BIOS? Which settings would you consider?

    Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

    DS
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    Hi!

    "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

    Thank you; I now found that the event log documents the same error every
    time:
    0x0000000a (0x0000002C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80440611) Microsoft
    Windows 2000 [v15.2195]

    Maybe this memory address 0x80440611 is the problem. I'll try to check this.

    where can I get memtest86???

    Regards,
    Peter
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

    "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Are you 100% sure CPU cooling is not a problem? I'd also run memtest86.

    Hi1
    I found memtest86 and ran it on the machine; first of all, memtest reports
    errors at some addresses of the first memory chip. What is not clear for me
    is the following point:
    Memtest documentation says it cannot determine if an error occurs at the CPU
    L1 and L2 cache or at the RAM chips. How can I find out if the CPU or RAM is
    defect?

    Regards,
    Peter

Tyan Trinity Motherboards