NTFS-partition not accessable in Windows XP

June 20, 2005 2:48:02 PM

I have the problem, that I want to access under WinXP SP2 a harddisk which
contains a NTFS-Partition created with Windows 2000 SP4. I thought, that this
is no problem as NTFS should be the same in that two Windows versions but it
isn't easy. If I look into the computer administration I see the Harddisk, I
see the partition as a fault free NTFS-partition, but I cannot assign a drive
letter. The only option in the context-menu is to delete the partition but I
don't want this...

How can I access this NTFS-partition under WinXP SP2?

fyi. the partition is not crypted and works fine under Win2000
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:45:25 PM

Could it be a hidden primary partition?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the problem, that I want to access under WinXP SP2 a harddisk which
> contains a NTFS-Partition created with Windows 2000 SP4. I thought, that
> this
> is no problem as NTFS should be the same in that two Windows versions but
> it
> isn't easy. If I look into the computer administration I see the Harddisk,
> see the partition as a fault free NTFS-partition, but I cannot assign a
> drive
> letter. The only option in the context-menu is to delete the partition but
> don't want this...
>
> How can I access this NTFS-partition under WinXP SP2?
>
> fyi. the partition is not crypted and works fine under Win2000

June 21, 2005 1:46:06 PM

I've forgotten: the partition is a primary but not hidden partition... And if
I access this harddisk under Windows 2000 everything works without the need
to do anything.

Johnny