Installing a New upgrade CPU on a Windows XP Pro. machine

Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
--
Roger C. Bledsoe
10 answers Last reply

    No.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Roger C. Bledsoe" wrote:

    | Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
    | a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
    | --
    | Roger C. Bledsoe

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
    <RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
    >a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?

    You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
    likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
    you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
    already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
    activate the OS.

    NobodyMan wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
    > <RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
    >>a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
    >

    > You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
    > likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
    > you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
    > already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
    > activate the OS.

    Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:40:12 -0400, Triffid <triffid@nebula.net>
    wrote:

    >NobodyMan wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
    >> <RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
    >>>a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
    >>

    >> You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
    >> likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
    >> you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
    >> already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
    >> activate the OS.
    >>
    >Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.

    RAM upgrades? No. CPU upgrades? Maybe. It depends on how different
    the processor is from it's predecessor. If it's a major change, a
    repair install may be in order.

    Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a change in
    CPU will not...
    ChrisC
    "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:40:12 -0400, Triffid <triffid@nebula.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>NobodyMan wrote:

    >>> You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
    >>> likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
    >>> you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
    >>> already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
    >>> activate the OS.
    >>>
    >>Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.
    >
    > RAM upgrades? No. CPU upgrades? Maybe. It depends on how different
    > the processor is from it's predecessor. If it's a major change, a
    > repair install may be in order.

    how about upgrading both the motherboard AND chip (e.g. going from
    athlon 32bit to ahtlon 64 - with new mobo)??
    if i do that will i just need a repair installation or is it going to
    mess my files up?

    --
    facePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    ChrisC Wrote:
    > Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a
    > change in
    > CPU will not...

    ^^^ True. you can change cd drives cound cards video cards ram
    processors ect and dont need to do anything in window. ONLY the chipset
    do you need to do that. I've swaped out proccesorr all the time. From
    celeron to penium 3s and P4's with no problem

    --
    Tweak

    Tweak wrote:
    > ChrisC Wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a
    >>change in
    >>CPU will not...
    >>

    > ^^^ True. you can change cd drives cound cards video cards ram
    > processors ect and dont need to do anything in window. ONLY the chipset
    > do you need to do that. I've swaped out proccesorr all the time. From
    > celeron to penium 3s and P4's with no problem

    That isn't true. In my case I swapped the motherboard, CPU, and memory
    without having to reactivate. Replacing the CD recorder with a DVD
    recorder triggered the reactivation.

    but reactivation or not - its not going to mess with my files if put my
    current hardware and windows installation onto a new mobo with a new
    cpu?

    reactivation and repair installs arent as much of a problem (as i own a
    copy of windows) as my files getting messed up

    --

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:31:33 +0100, face wrote:

    > but reactivation or not - its not going to mess with my files if put my
    > current hardware and windows installation onto a new mobo with a new
    > cpu?
    >
    > reactivation and repair installs arent as much of a problem (as i own a
    > copy of windows) as my files getting messed up

    Things "should" work out fine. The purpose of repair installs is to leave
    installed programs and personal files in place and still available.

    However, no one can give you a guarantee as there's always the chance that
    things won't work out as planned. As always, backup whatever you can't
    afford to lose before proceeding.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User