Installing a New upgrade CPU on a Windows XP Pro. machine

a b à CPUs
June 20, 2005 4:59:02 PM

Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
--
Roger C. Bledsoe
Anonymous

No.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Roger C. Bledsoe" wrote:

| Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
| a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
| --
| Roger C. Bledsoe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2005 12:30:31 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
<RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
>a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?

You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
activate the OS.
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2005 2:40:12 AM

NobodyMan wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
> <RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
>>a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
>

> You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
> likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
> you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
> already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
> activate the OS.

Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2005 11:11:23 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:40:12 -0400, Triffid <triffid@nebula.net>
wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:59:02 -0700, "Roger C. Bledsoe"
>> <RogerCBledsoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Do I had to get a new installation key to use when I install a upgrade CPU on
>>>a Windows XP Professional OS machine plus upgrading my system memory too?
>>

>> You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
>> likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
>> you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
>> already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
>> activate the OS.
>>
>Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.

RAM upgrades? No. CPU upgrades? Maybe. It depends on how different
the processor is from it's predecessor. If it's a major change, a
repair install may be in order.
June 23, 2005 2:24:53 PM

Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a change in
CPU will not...
ChrisC
"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:40:12 -0400, Triffid <triffid@nebula.net>
> wrote:
>

>>NobodyMan wrote:

>>> You won't need a "new" installation key. However, you more than
>>> likely will need to do a repair installation of XP, which will require
>>> you to enter your Product Key. If it is showing in the MS database as
>>> already having been used, you'll need to make a phone call to MS to
>>> activate the OS.
>>>
>>Incorrect. CPU and/or RAM upgrades do not require repair or activation.
>
> RAM upgrades? No. CPU upgrades? Maybe. It depends on how different
> the processor is from it's predecessor. If it's a major change, a
> repair install may be in order.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2005 7:45:44 PM

how about upgrading both the motherboard AND chip (e.g. going from
athlon 32bit to ahtlon 64 - with new mobo)??
if i do that will i just need a repair installation or is it going to
mess my files up?

--
facePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 24, 2005 8:24:58 AM

ChrisC Wrote:
> Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a
> change in
> CPU will not...

^^^ True. you can change cd drives cound cards video cards ram
processors ect and dont need to do anything in window. ONLY the chipset
do you need to do that. I've swaped out proccesorr all the time. From
celeron to penium 3s and P4's with no problem

--
Tweak
Anonymous

Tweak wrote:
> ChrisC Wrote:
>
>>Hi, only a change in chipset will require a repair installation, a
>>change in
>>CPU will not...
>>

> ^^^ True. you can change cd drives cound cards video cards ram
> processors ect and dont need to do anything in window. ONLY the chipset
> do you need to do that. I've swaped out proccesorr all the time. From
> celeron to penium 3s and P4's with no problem

That isn't true. In my case I swapped the motherboard, CPU, and memory
without having to reactivate. Replacing the CD recorder with a DVD
recorder triggered the reactivation.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2005 5:31:33 AM

but reactivation or not - its not going to mess with my files if put my
current hardware and windows installation onto a new mobo with a new
cpu?

reactivation and repair installs arent as much of a problem (as i own a
copy of windows) as my files getting messed up

--
facePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2005 5:31:34 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:31:33 +0100, face wrote:

> but reactivation or not - its not going to mess with my files if put my
> current hardware and windows installation onto a new mobo with a new
> cpu?
>
> reactivation and repair installs arent as much of a problem (as i own a
> copy of windows) as my files getting messed up

Things "should" work out fine. The purpose of repair installs is to leave
installed programs and personal files in place and still available.

However, no one can give you a guarantee as there's always the chance that
things won't work out as planned. As always, backup whatever you can't
afford to lose before proceeding.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User