Tyab 2666, Slow memory check at boot

Since yesterday, my Tyan 2466 system does a very slow memory check at boot
time. It takes more than 3 minutes to check ram (2 GB). I did not change
anything in the last months, nor added any new hardware.
Once booted, the system performs normally.

Previuos boot time was only 6-8 seconds...

Is there any reason for this behaviour?

Is there a way to speed up the process?

TIA.

rioka wrote:

> Since yesterday, my Tyan 2466 system does a very slow memory check at boot
> time. It takes more than 3 minutes to check ram (2 GB). I did not change
> anything in the last months, nor added any new hardware.
> Once booted, the system performs normally.
>
> Previuos boot time was only 6-8 seconds...
>
> Is there any reason for this behaviour?
>
> Is there a way to speed up the process?

You say nothing was changed, but it sounds like what might be expected
with ECC memory. Are you sure this didn't get turned on in the bios,
where it had been previously turned off? With 2GB, I imagine it could
indeed take up to (or seem like) 3 minutes, as mine with 512MB seems to
take at least 30 seconds, though I've never timed it.

Bryan

> TIA.

> rioka wrote:
>>
>> Since yesterday, my Tyan 2466 system does a very slow memory check at
>> boot time. It takes more than 3 minutes to check ram (2 GB)...

> You say nothing was changed, but it sounds like what might be expected
> with ECC memory. Are you sure this didn't get turned on in the bios,
> where it had been previously turned off?

Yes, I've never entered bios setup within the last months... but I'll check
it.

Thanks.

Charles

On 10 Mar 2005 11:25:20 GMT, rioka <rioka.toglimi@libero.it> wrote:

>Since yesterday, my Tyan 2466 system does a very slow memory check at boot
>time. It takes more than 3 minutes to check ram (2 GB). I did not change
>anything in the last months, nor added any new hardware.
>Once booted, the system performs normally.

My 2466 started to do that when I misconnected a drive. When I fixed the
connection it went back to normal.

charles <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in

> My 2466 started to do that when I misconnected a drive. When I fixed
> the connection it went back to normal.

Thanks Charles! I have no floppy drive in my PC, but after your suggestion,
I've noticed that the bios was signaling floppy drive A: as present (don't
know why!). I've removed the drive from the configuration, and now
everything is OK. Thanks again!

Charles

On 15 Mar 2005 08:10:24 GMT, rioka <rioka.toglimi@libero.it> wrote:

>charles <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in
>
>> My 2466 started to do that when I misconnected a drive. When I fixed
>> the connection it went back to normal.
>
>Thanks Charles! I have no floppy drive in my PC, but after your suggestion,
>I've noticed that the bios was signaling floppy drive A: as present (don't
>know why!). I've removed the drive from the configuration, and now
>everything is OK. Thanks again!

Glad to help.