I just read a review of my PC online which may sound like what I have been
experiencing wrong with it. The reviewer stated that the video and sound
card share an IRQ causing the PC to momentarily lock up which is exactly
what mine does. Is there some sort of a solution to changing the IRQ for
these devices so that I can go on and have a life instead of trying to live
with this annoying problem? Anyone savy? At my last wits end. Thierry

IRQ sharing is perfectly normal in XP.

However if your graphics and sound card are arguing, I'd suggest putting the
soundcard in the PCI slot FURTHEST away from the AGP slot. Try and keep the
PCI slot next to the AGP slot free if possible.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Thierry Plouchart" <tplouchart@msn.com> wrote in message
>I just read a review of my PC online which may sound like what I have been
>experiencing wrong with it. The reviewer stated that the video and sound
>card share an IRQ causing the PC to momentarily lock up which is exactly
>what mine does. Is there some sort of a solution to changing the IRQ for
>these devices so that I can go on and have a life instead of trying to live
>with this annoying problem? Anyone savy? At my last wits end. Thierry

Unfortunately, I don't have a separate sound card that I can see. At least
not in any slot there next to the graphics card. I have a PCI Express 16
slot for my graphics card (X300SE )but I see nothing for the sound. I have a
Media Center PC by HP and it has a cluster of sound ouputs that go into a
little box that reside just above the graphics card. I think I can move the
graphics card down one slot away from those sound outputs but I don't even
use them. I use the digital output which is located even higher up further
away from them. I tried doing a full recovery and am now downloading every
update all over again. Every once in a while in the Event Viewer I'll see a
mouse/keyboard i8042prt information under system just after it locks up.
Something about a mouse buffer overflow unable to keep up. Probably has to
do with the processor unable to keep up. My PC has Media Center2005 which is
cool when it works but despite that, it still locks up without the
mouse/keyboard drawing from the processor as there is no reference to it in
the event viewer such as when I try to play live TV or some mp3s without
even touching the mouse or keyboard, (both picture and sound). I can just
use the remote and let it play some songs or tune in a channel and after 15
minutes or so I can almost garantee a lock up. It's very exasperating. This
thing is driving me crazy. I can't enjoy this PC with this going on. I feel
like trading it in for something more relialble. I'm thinking Mac these
days.....It just shouldn't be this way. Could it be I made the mistake of
thinking HP makes a great PC?

Perhaps there is an overheating problem? The "IRQ" sharing is normal.
The PCI interupts being shared can be a problem IF one of the "cards" is
a "bus hog". You would need a "good" motherboard users manual to
determine PCI interupt sharing. The alternative is to experimentally
move cards to different slots to see if the problem clears.

Thierry Plouchart wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't have a separate sound card that I can see. At least
> not in any slot there next to the graphics card. I have a PCI Express 16
> slot for my graphics card (X300SE )but I see nothing for the sound. I have a
> Media Center PC by HP and it has a cluster of sound ouputs that go into a
> little box that reside just above the graphics card. I think I can move the
> graphics card down one slot away from those sound outputs but I don't even
> use them. I use the digital output which is located even higher up further
> away from them. I tried doing a full recovery and am now downloading every
> update all over again. Every once in a while in the Event Viewer I'll see a
> mouse/keyboard i8042prt information under system just after it locks up.
> Something about a mouse buffer overflow unable to keep up. Probably has to
> do with the processor unable to keep up. My PC has Media Center2005 which is
> cool when it works but despite that, it still locks up without the
> mouse/keyboard drawing from the processor as there is no reference to it in
> the event viewer such as when I try to play live TV or some mp3s without
> even touching the mouse or keyboard, (both picture and sound). I can just
> use the remote and let it play some songs or tune in a channel and after 15
> minutes or so I can almost garantee a lock up. It's very exasperating. This
> thing is driving me crazy. I can't enjoy this PC with this going on. I feel
> like trading it in for something more relialble. I'm thinking Mac these
> days.....It just shouldn't be this way. Could it be I made the mistake of
> thinking HP makes a great PC?

Thank you for your input. I have dwindled down the problem to this as I have
done the last thing I wanted to do which was to wipe out my hard drive and
reload Windows from the recovery disk. I had to buy them since my PC
couldn't create the (2)disks which I needed to do it. It seems like a common
problem among PCs like mine where you can't get past the first burned DVD. I
will move things around and see if I get a cure. Something tells me I won't
be happy until I get an all new machine and keep this one to play around
with. I had read from a Microsoft site where if you wanted to add an HDTV
tuner card that you would have to put it as far away from the factory TV
tuner (analog) card so that there would be no conflicts. Humm. I guess there
isn't a perfect PC out there yet. I should've spent more money and gotten
myself a PC that can handle stuff like that. I thought it would be a cool
thing to see how this Media Center worked but I should've been more cautious
about the low price of only $1000. I guess this PC is probably worth about
$500-700 by now. Problem is I keep adding things to it like more Ram and
software. And now that my mouse and keyboard are acting up (although
probably not the cause) a new wireless mouse and keyboard. Course I can
carry that over to the next one if there is a next one (PC that is).
Thankfully I can use it on a MAC if I decide to go that route. I wonder if
it has to update software as much as this one does? It seems like I'm
constantly online updating this or that for who knows what. I had Macfee
before the recovery and it seemed to spend all the time online just
downloading more updates. What a way to spend your online time? Just
venting..