Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mame on ebay (again!)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 18, 2005 8:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...

QUOTE FROM PAGE

Note to eBay Staff,

This item is listed in accordance with eBay "Downloadable Media
Policy" in that the material contained within is available in the
public domain,

hmmmmm.....I don't think that is true!!!

More about : mame ebay

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

<Ross> wrote in message news:bpi76152r61hvc8i1calc5m4gm177ijpk6@4ax.com...
>
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
>
> QUOTE FROM PAGE
>
> Note to eBay Staff,
>
> This item is listed in accordance with eBay "Downloadable Media
> Policy" in that the material contained within is available in the
> public domain,

While he's at it, he also added a nice " How do you fancy having a SONY VIAO
Laptop for $5.00 ? "

AS
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:54:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:01:20 +0100, Ross <> wrote:

>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categor...
>
>QUOTE FROM PAGE
>
>Note to eBay Staff,
>
>This item is listed in accordance with eBay "Downloadable Media
>Policy" in that the material contained within is available in the
>public domain,
>
>hmmmmm.....I don't think that is true!!!
>

You have to bow your head in awe at the ineptitude of eBay staff don't
you? Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL?
Always has been, always will be. How many times do we have to report
violations before it sinks in?

Yet if you try to sell a perfectly good bootleg board then your
auction is likely to be pulled cos it contains the word 'bootleg'. It
must be a piece of software they run which searches for key phrases.

In a few days I'll be auctioning a MAME cabinet on eBay (UK). The
buyer will receive no roms but I'll make damn sure any 'games for
illustrative purposes' used in the auctions pictures are of boards I
actually OWN! Bet you a pound to a bucket of spanners it gets pulled
due to copyright infringement.

Cheers,
Terra Cresta

PC Arcade
http://www.pcarcade.tv
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:13:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Jeff-B's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> If I were a MAMEdev and was concerned about this, I'd bid on the auction
> and check out the disc for myself when it arrives. This would be pretty
> powerful evidence to take back to eBay. Then again, since he's most
> likely using an older version of MAME (prior to 0.96), would it be
> enforceable under the new license?

Well, the roms aren't in public domain, so still not legal (although
atleast the guy aint gouging like some do. The guys that REALLY piss me
off is the ones that charge like $50 for a single cd. Still, the guy's
profiting). Thats one strike against him. Also, he's flat out lying
about it to circumvent ebay's rules. Two strikes. Only thing saving his
ass partially, is that he didnt mention MAME (which they are MAME since
some of the games are only done in MAME). This is his saving grace
since usually, ebay only pulls for copyright/trademark violations if
someone connected with the holder of such rights makes a complaint. Also
if he's got it to run from CD like he claims, then MAME is distributed
on the same disk which violates all versions of MAME's license (can't
have ROMs and MAME on the same distributable media). Guy must be playing
Tball, because he's got more than three strikes...
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:14:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Terra Cresta <terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote in
news:p ls7619m1gkf68pffgsoojlo64ei7ji4ek@4ax.com:

> Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL?
>

Just like most of the ebay rom auction *Kopz* haven't grasped that
downloading and using them when you don't actually own the machine is just
as illegal and that they are hypocritical.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Terra Cresta wrote:

> You have to bow your head in awe at the ineptitude of eBay staff don't
> you? Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL?
> Always has been, always will be. How many times do we have to report
> violations before it sinks in?

There's only one that eBay are going to sit up and take notice - and
that is when someone sues *eBay* for facilitating the sale of stolen goods!

Regards,
Mark
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 4:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Mark McDougall wrote:

> There's only one that eBay are going to sit up and take notice - and
> that is when someone sues *eBay* for facilitating the sale of stolen
> goods!

I'll try that again...

There's only one way that eBay are going to sit up and take notice - and
that is when someone brings charges against *eBay* for facilitating the
sale of stolen goods!

Regards,
Mark
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:18:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

AWS's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> Terra Cresta <terra.cresta@NOSPAMpcarcade.tv> wrote in
> news:p ls7619m1gkf68pffgsoojlo64ei7ji4ek@4ax.com:
>> Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL?
> Just like most of the ebay rom auction *Kopz* haven't grasped that
> downloading and using them when you don't actually own the machine is just
> as illegal and that they are hypocritical.

However, there is a difference. The guys on ebay profit from things they
don't own, people who download do not.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:18:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hellmark wrote:

>>
>>>Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL?
>>
>>Just like most of the ebay rom auction *Kopz* haven't grasped that
>>downloading and using them when you don't actually own the machine is just
>>as illegal and that they are hypocritical.
>
>
> However, there is a difference. The guys on ebay profit from things they
> don't own, people who download do not.

I typically stay out of these arguments, but you are splitting hairs.
Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.
--
FSogol
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:48:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

So, If we illegally download copyrighted games and play them it is OK? What
a fool! Then you justify what you do because it is non profit you say? If I
download Windows just for myself, It's not stealing right? Is there any
difference between that and the Golden Tee 2k that sits at my local bowling
alley that is included in Mame? So those ads on those Mame websites only pay
for the bandwidth and nothing more? Of course you know that because they
disclose their financial statement to you right? And the burners that spend
45 cents for a blank DVD and burn 10 for Mame .95 and send them for $2.00
for a total of $6.50 and they charge $20 are doing it for free because it
includes gas and wear and tear on the burner, right? Keep justifying your
theft and at the same time, persecute someone else for doing the same thing.
Go turn them in to Ebay cause they are stealing. What an ass!
"Mark McDougall" <markm@vl.com.au> wrote in message
news:4264719f$0$24138$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Mark McDougall wrote:
>
>> There's only one that eBay are going to sit up and take notice - and
>> that is when someone sues *eBay* for facilitating the sale of stolen
>> goods!
>
> I'll try that again...
>
> There's only one way that eBay are going to sit up and take notice - and
> that is when someone brings charges against *eBay* for facilitating the
> sale of stolen goods!
>
> Regards,
> Mark
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:19:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

FSogol's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>>>>Haven't they grasped the fact that selling MAME roms is ILLEGAL
>>>Just like most of the ebay rom auction *Kopz* haven't grasped that
>>>downloading and using them when you don't actually own the machine is just
>>>as illegal and that they are hypocritical.
>> However, there is a difference. The guys on ebay profit from things they
>> don't own, people who download do not.
> I typically stay out of these arguments, but you are splitting hairs.
> Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
> people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.

I will, if they are trying to screw people. The guys that charge like
$50-$60 or more for a CD and stuff like that are the ones I actively try
to do something about
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

R's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> And the burners that spend 45 cents for a blank DVD and burn 10 for
> Mame .95 and send them for $2.00 for a total of $6.50 and they charge
> $20 are doing it for free because it includes gas and wear and tear
> on the burner, right?

The ones that charge actual cost are in a different group. None of us go
after the ones that charge actual cost, and a bunch of burners only accept
blanks and selfaddressed paid envelopes to separate themselves from the
ones that try to profit.
April 20, 2005 5:29:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:57:48 -0400, FSogol wrote:

> I typically stay out of these arguments

So do I ;) 
But this is the first time I can remember disagreeing with a post by you so
I thought I'd pipe up....

> Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
> people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.

There is a categorical difference between obtaining the roms by whatever
nefarious means, and selling them on for a whopping profit. The fact that
neither is legal doesn't change that.

Mike
April 20, 2005 1:51:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

FSogol wrote:
Snipped
> I typically stay out of these arguments, but you are splitting hairs.
> Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
> people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.

I too usually stay well clear... but I will say I agree with you FSogol
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:20:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hellmark wrote:
>>
>>I typically stay out of these arguments, but you are splitting hairs.
>>Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
>>people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.
>
>
> I will, if they are trying to screw people. The guys that charge like
> $50-$60 or more for a CD and stuff like that are the ones I actively try
> to do something about

You lack perspective. Chervon/Philips profits have doubled each quarter
the last year. My gas costs $2.30 a gallon. Why not go after Chervon
for screwing people.
--
FSogol
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:36:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Mike wrote:
>>I typically stay out of these arguments
>
> So do I ;) 
> But this is the first time I can remember disagreeing with a post by you so
> I thought I'd pipe up....
>
>>Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't want to see
>>people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active role against it.
>
> There is a categorical difference between obtaining the roms by whatever
> nefarious means, and selling them on for a whopping profit. The fact that
> neither is legal doesn't change that.
>
I don't really disagree with your statement and please don't think I am
condoning these rip off artists. However, one action is worse, but both
are wrong.

Everyday things get sold for whopping profits. Economics shows us that
prices are based on what people will pay, not on the costs of
production. It is a losing battle to go after these sellers of roms.
As long as there is demand, these guys will keep appearing.
--
FSogol
April 20, 2005 11:00:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

* FSogol Wrote in alt.games.mame:

>
>
> Hellmark wrote:
>>>
>>>I typically stay out of these arguments, but you are splitting
>>>hairs. Both people benefit from having the roms. While I don't
>>>want to see people selling this stuff, I'm won't take an active
>>>role against it.
>>
>>
>> I will, if they are trying to screw people. The guys that charge
>> like $50-$60 or more for a CD and stuff like that are the ones I
>> actively try to do something about
>
> You lack perspective. Chervon/Philips profits have doubled each
> quarter the last year. My gas costs $2.30 a gallon. Why not go
> after Chervon for screwing people.

Well, to be fair, we in the US have been and continue to get a deal
on gas. Gasoline prices have remained relativley static in comparison
to inflation here in the US or in comparison to gas prices in other
countries.

--
David
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:00:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER wrote:

>
> Well, to be fair, we in the US have been and continue to get a deal
> on gas. Gasoline prices have remained relativley static in comparison
> to inflation here in the US or in comparison to gas prices in other
> countries.
>
Not really, the high prices you are referring to are a source of revenue
for those countries. It helps pay for their healthcare and other
government programs.
--
FSogol
April 21, 2005 3:27:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

* FSogol wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER wrote:

>> Well, to be fair, we in the US have been and continue to get a deal
>> on gas. Gasoline prices have remained relativley static in comparison
>> to inflation here in the US or in comparison to gas prices in other
>> countries.

> Not really, the high prices you are referring to are a source of revenue
> for those countries. It helps pay for their healthcare and other
> government programs.

So forget the high prices others are paying and explain why until this
year that gas prices have not gone up the same way say milk has.
--
David
Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't
-- Murphy's Military Laws n°100
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:01:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR wrote:

>>> Whatever happened to the notion of public transport?
>>>
>> It take 20 minutes to get to my job by car. It takes 75 minutes by
>> bus. I also have to go out of the office 2-3 times a week to check on
>> construction projects or attend meetings. So I take my bike on nice
>> days and drive my Jeep when it rains or snows. I pretend I am playing
>> Hang-on.
>
> Com'on I dunno where you are but in the UK public transport is pretty
> good, in fact, odds are, if you were to drive from East to West London
> and I were to jump on the underground, I'd get there a good while before
> you!
>
> Sinner has a lot to answer for!
>
I'm in Northern Virginia in the suburbs of Washington, DC. I don't work
in the city and all the public transportation heads to the Pentagon or
into the city. If I had to go into DC, public transportation would be
my only real option.

What did Sinner do? (Should I check Google?) ;) 
--
FSogol
April 22, 2005 6:40:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER wrote:
> * FSogol wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>>SINNER wrote:
>
>
>>>Well, to be fair, we in the US have been and continue to get a deal
>>>on gas. Gasoline prices have remained relativley static in comparison
>>>to inflation here in the US or in comparison to gas prices in other
>>>countries.
>
>
>>Not really, the high prices you are referring to are a source of revenue
>>for those countries. It helps pay for their healthcare and other
>>government programs.
>
>
> So forget the high prices others are paying and explain why until this
> year that gas prices have not gone up the same way say milk has.

Hey! I didnt know the M stood for Milk in AGM :-P

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:40:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR wrote:

>>
>> So forget the high prices others are paying and explain why until this
>> year that gas prices have not gone up the same way say milk has.
>
> Hey! I didnt know the M stood for Milk in AGM :-P
>
The High Milk Prices of Moo Mesa
--
FSogol
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:53:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

FSogol wrote:
>
>
> MCR wrote:
>
>>>
>>> So forget the high prices others are paying and explain why until this
>>> year that gas prices have not gone up the same way say milk has.
>>
>>
>> Hey! I didnt know the M stood for Milk in AGM :-P
>>
> The High Milk Prices of Moo Mesa

<WHACK> BAD, *BAD* FSogol! <WHACK> Thou shall not get desert this
night! Hie thee to bed, NOW! <WHACK>

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:14:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk>after crossing the finish line at the
Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

>>>
>>>Whatever happened to the notion of public transport?
>>
>> Some areas dont have it. If I wanted to ride a bus, I'd have to
>> travel 60 miles first, and even that is the end of the line.
>
> No public transport... sorry mate I thought you lived in the USA not
> some backwater country ;-)
>

LOL. Snakebit Hellmark lives out in the sticks.
--
FSogol
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:27:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On 2005-04-22, MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote:

> Com'on I dunno where you are but in the UK public transport is
> pretty good, in fact, odds are, if you were to drive from East to
> West London and I were to jump on the underground, I'd get there a
> good while before you!

This is only true in the cities, outside of cities public transport is
a waste of time. Busses into and out of my village start running
hourly at 10:00 and stop at 16:00, it costs 20 quid for a taxi to the
nearest station.

Walking around in London is like playing Frogger, seems like a good
idea but starts to get boring very quickly!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
April 24, 2005 1:29:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

FSogol wrote:
> MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk>after crossing the finish line at the
> Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>
>
>>>>Whatever happened to the notion of public transport?
>>>
>>>Some areas dont have it. If I wanted to ride a bus, I'd have to
>>>travel 60 miles first, and even that is the end of the line.
>>
>>No public transport... sorry mate I thought you lived in the USA not
>>some backwater country ;-)
>>
>
>
> LOL. Snakebit Hellmark lives out in the sticks.

Internet... he's lucky to have a phone!

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:29:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body were:
> FSogol wrote:
>> MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk>after crossing the finish line at the
>> Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>>>>>Whatever happened to the notion of public transport?
>>>>Some areas dont have it. If I wanted to ride a bus, I'd have to
>>>>travel 60 miles first, and even that is the end of the line.
>>>No public transport... sorry mate I thought you lived in the USA not
>>>some backwater country ;-)
>> LOL. Snakebit Hellmark lives out in the sticks.
> Internet... he's lucky to have a phone!

Only way I have a net connection is because I have a wireless connection
piped in. And actually, could be worse, where some of my family are, its a
couple hundred miles to public transport
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:18:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

In article <slrnd6l8cs.dtd.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk>,
Ian Rawlings <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> Walking around in London is like playing Frogger, seems like a good
> idea but starts to get boring very quickly!

In Frogger the frog is the size of a small car...
If meatspace/real life Frogger has to be just a bit authentic, you have
to be _big_ ; like in enormously humonous ...My brother in law is big,
korean and drives a small car, he'll be here in 15 minutes.
Unfortunately we are not going to play real life Frogger, but just
rebuild my flat and toss out some more electronic junk that I must have
collected over the years.

Reality is thundering down the block, and it knows my phonenumber.

Anyway, cheerio!
TXW

--
Greetings from The Humongous!
The Lord Humongous!
The Warrior of the Wasteland!
The Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla!
Related resources
!