New mobo

Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing Windows XP
installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP detecting
too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is that
likely to be the only thing?

--
Ian

If you replace everything with exactly the same hardware then no problem
at all. If not, then there may be a problem, and the size said problem
would be determined on the version of XP you are using and just how
different the hardware is! So based on the info you provided the
"problem" could range from none to having to buy another copy of XP and
doing a repair.

IC wrote:

> Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing Windows XP
> installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP detecting
> too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is that
> likely to be the only thing?

Ian;
Normally a Repair Installation is required to properly detect the new
hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

This may not be possible if Windows XP is OEM.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"IC" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing Windows
> XP
> installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP detecting
> too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is that
> likely to be the only thing?
>
> --
> Ian

anna

> If you replace everything with exactly the same hardware then no problem
> at all. If not, then there may be a problem, and the size said problem
> would be determined on the version of XP you are using and just how
> different the hardware is! So based on the info you provided the "problem"
> could range from none to having to buy another copy of XP and doing a
> repair.

Ian:
The following assumes your computer is a non-OEM machine. If it is, then you
should first check with the manufacturer to ascertain that you can make your
proposed changes without incurring any system or XP Activation problems.

After you install your new motherboard including a new processor and RAM,
and, of course whatever motherboard drivers are necessary, it's possible the
system *will* boot without further ado. There's no way that I know of to
tell you if it will, but in a fair number of cases we have found the system
will boot following a motherboard + other components change without the need
of a Repair install. Understand that the Activation process will most likely
still be necessary in this situation although even here it's not a absolute
certainty. (I assume that's what you were referring to when you used the
term "reregistered").

But the likelihood is that you will have to perform a Repair install. It's a
relatively simple process and is usually effective. If you don't know how to
undertake a Repair install, do a Google search on this topic and you'll find
a number of sites that give step-by-step instructions. Make sure you back up
any important or critical files before undertaking the Repair install.

There is, however, an alternate process that doesn't entail the Repair
install that you may wish to consider re your motherboard change...

Here are the general steps, but refer to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125 for the
precise details:
1. In your present machine with the old motherboard, start Windows.
2. After the system boots, insert your XP installation CD in your CD/DVD-ROM
drive.
3. In the Windows Setup window, click "Upgrade (Recommended)" in the
"Installation Type" list and click Next.
4. Follow the screen instructions until the computer begins to restart.
5. Just as the computer begins to restart, power down the computer.
6. Remove the old motherboard and install the new one.
7. Power up the computer. The "upgrade" will continue.
8. After the "upgrade" has completed, you will, of course, need to install
any motherboard drivers as well as hotfixes previously installed and any
service packs. And Activation will also be probably needed.

We've had a limited amount of experience with the above procedure and it
seems to work just fine.
Anna

"IC" <me@me.com> wrote:

>Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing Windows XP
>installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP detecting
>too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is that
>likely to be the only thing?

If your computer has a BIOS Locked (SLP) OEM version of Windows XP
then you will not be able to use your OEM XP unless you replace the
motherboard with one that is supplied by the manufacturer of the
computer.

To determine if your Windows XP is an OEM version open Control Panel -
System - General and look at the 20 character Product I.D. code that
is shown on the last line of the "Registered to:" section. If the
second segment of the Product I.D. reads OEM then you have an OEM
version of Windows XP. Note that the Product I.D. is not the same as
the 25 character Windows XP Proudct Key.

If you have an OEM version of Windows XP then use Start - All Programs
- Accessories - System Tools and look for an item that reads "Activate
Windows". If there is no "Activate Windows" item on the menu then
your OEM Windows XP is BIOS locked and you must get your replacement
motherboard from the computer manufacturer. Note that some non-OEM
versions of Windows XP, such as volume licenses, will also not have
the "Activate Windows" entry on the System Tools menu.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Sorry, I should have said. This is an upgrade from Athlon 1400 to Athlon XP
3000+ with replacement mobo & memory to suit. None of it is OEM and the XP
is Pro

Anyway, I tried just replacing the lot and tried to reboot. No go! Each time
it comes up with the "failed to boot properly screen and gives me the
options of Safe Mode(s), Last known good and Boot normally. Whichever one I
choose results in a reboot, though normally I see a blue screen flash on for
a split second before rebooting. I've tried to read it by trying multiple
reboots, but it's just too fast. All I can catch is a few words but
"problem" and "configuration" are both in there.

I've tried booting from the XP CD, but it won't. Despite the CD being in the
boot order before the HDD, it still insists on booting from the HDD. I can
boot from an old Win95 boot floppy, but the HDD isn't visible to this
(presumably because it's NTFS).

The next step is to try removing the HDD from the boot order entirely.
Failing that, it's reinstall the old hardware and try something else.

--
Ian
> If you replace everything with exactly the same hardware then no problem
> at all. If not, then there may be a problem, and the size said problem
> would be determined on the version of XP you are using and just how
> different the hardware is! So based on the info you provided the
> "problem" could range from none to having to buy another copy of XP and
> doing a repair.
>
> IC wrote:
>
> > Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing
Windows XP
> > installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP
detecting
> > too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is
that
> > likely to be the only thing?

anna

Ian writes...
>> > Can I replace my motherboard, cpu & memory and expect my existing
> Windows XP
>> > installation to boot up? I realise there may be an issue with XP
> detecting
>> > too many hardware changes and insisting on being reregistered, but is
> that
>> > likely to be the only thing?

And then adds...
> Sorry, I should have said. This is an upgrade from Athlon 1400 to Athlon
> XP
> 3000+ with replacement mobo & memory to suit. None of it is OEM and the XP
> is Pro
>
> Anyway, I tried just replacing the lot and tried to reboot. No go! Each
> time
> it comes up with the "failed to boot properly screen and gives me the
> options of Safe Mode(s), Last known good and Boot normally. Whichever one
> choose results in a reboot, though normally I see a blue screen flash on
> for
> a split second before rebooting. I've tried to read it by trying multiple
> reboots, but it's just too fast. All I can catch is a few words but
> "problem" and "configuration" are both in there.
>
> I've tried booting from the XP CD, but it won't. Despite the CD being in
> the
> boot order before the HDD, it still insists on booting from the HDD. I can
> boot from an old Win95 boot floppy, but the HDD isn't visible to this
> (presumably because it's NTFS).
>
> The next step is to try removing the HDD from the boot order entirely.
> Failing that, it's reinstall the old hardware and try something else.
>
> --
> Ian

As most of the responders to your query indicated, it probably will be
necessary to undertake a Repair install following a motherboard (including
processor & RAM) change. Sometimes you're lucky in that the system will boot
following such a change, but usually it will not. So your experience is the
usual one.

If you've correctly set your motherboard's BIOS to set your CD/DVD-ROM
device to be first in the boot order, then the system *will* boot to a
bootable CD such as your XP installation disk. During the bootup, a message
will appear on screen stating "Press any key to boot from CD.." The message
appears for only a few seconds, so if you don't press a key at that point
the system will boot to your HD. Do you see that message and are you
pressing a key when it appears? And should that screen message not appear,
are you absolutely certain you've correctly set your BIOS boot order?

Anyway, in my previous response to your query I indicated an alternate
procedure to install your motherboard et al. You may want to give it a try.
Anna

Ian;
During the boot process you will see a message "Press any key to boot to
CD-ROM"
The message will be briefly on the screen and may be missed if you are not
looking.
You must press a key while the message is on the screen.
If you miss is, the computer continues booting as if there were no CD in the
CD drive.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
> Ian writes...
> > Windows XP
> And then adds...
> > Sorry, I should have said. This is an upgrade from Athlon 1400 to Athlon
> > XP
> > 3000+ with replacement mobo & memory to suit. None of it is OEM and the
XP
> > is Pro
> >
> > Anyway, I tried just replacing the lot and tried to reboot. No go! Each
> > time
> > it comes up with the "failed to boot properly screen and gives me the
> > options of Safe Mode(s), Last known good and Boot normally. Whichever
one
> > choose results in a reboot, though normally I see a blue screen flash on
> > for
> > a split second before rebooting. I've tried to read it by trying
multiple
> > reboots, but it's just too fast. All I can catch is a few words but
> > "problem" and "configuration" are both in there.
>
> As most of the responders to your query indicated, it probably will be
> necessary to undertake a Repair install following a motherboard (including
> processor & RAM) change. Sometimes you're lucky in that the system will
boot
> following such a change, but usually it will not. So your experience is
the
> usual one.

The Repair install is the problem. I'll double check tomorrow, but AFAIK, I
correctly set the boot order. Certainly I can get the floppy to boot, but
I'll make sure the CD drive is second.
> If you've correctly set your motherboard's BIOS to set your CD/DVD-ROM
> device to be first in the boot order, then the system *will* boot to a
> bootable CD such as your XP installation disk. During the bootup, a
message
The Repair install is the problem. I'll double check tomorrow, but AFAIK, I
correctly set the boot order. Certainly I can get the floppy to boot, but
I'll make sure the CD drive is second.

> will appear on screen stating "Press any key to boot from CD.." The
message
> appears for only a few seconds, so if you don't press a key at that point
> the system will boot to your HD. Do you see that message and are you
> pressing a key when it appears? And should that screen message not appear,
> are you absolutely certain you've correctly set your BIOS boot order?

There is no message. I am familiar with this message, but it is definitely
not there. As I say, I'll double check tomorrow.

> Anyway, in my previous response to your query I indicated an alternate
> procedure to install your motherboard et al. You may want to give it a
try.

If the checked boot order fails to help, I'll give your method a try. Thanks
for the pointer.

Ian
---

I wish it was good news :-(

If I disble all but the CD ROM from the boot order, I get a boot device
error message immediately after the PCI device listing. There is no prompt
to boot from CD.

I replaced the original hardware abd tried to boot. It appears my second HDD
is now faulty. I have disconnected it and the original boot is OK, though
it says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I haven't sent it to MS
because I didn't reinstall the NIC.

I tried the procedure Anna pointed me to, but there is no option to upgrade.
There is only an option to Install Windows XP, which then tells me it can
not continue because the installed version is newer. I assume this is
because my CD is SP1 and I have since installed SP2.

I tried booting from a floppy then running setup on my XP CD, but it won't
run under DOS.

I'm getting close to taking my box to the shop I bought the upgrade bits
from.

Any ideas before I do this?

--
Ian
> Ian;
> During the boot process you will see a message "Press any key to boot to
> CD-ROM"
> The message will be briefly on the screen and may be missed if you are not
> looking.
> You must press a key while the message is on the screen.
> If you miss is, the computer continues booting as if there were no CD in
the
> CD drive.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "IC" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I should have said. This is an upgrade from Athlon 1400 to Athlon
> > XP
> > 3000+ with replacement mobo & memory to suit. None of it is OEM and the
XP
> > is Pro
> >
> > Anyway, I tried just replacing the lot and tried to reboot. No go! Each
> > time
> > it comes up with the "failed to boot properly screen and gives me the
> > options of Safe Mode(s), Last known good and Boot normally. Whichever
one
> > choose results in a reboot, though normally I see a blue screen flash on
> > for
> > a split second before rebooting. I've tried to read it by trying
multiple
> > reboots, but it's just too fast. All I can catch is a few words but
> > "problem" and "configuration" are both in there.
> >
> > I've tried booting from the XP CD, but it won't. Despite the CD being in
> > the
> > boot order before the HDD, it still insists on booting from the HDD. I
can
> > boot from an old Win95 boot floppy, but the HDD isn't visible to this
> > (presumably because it's NTFS).
> >
> > The next step is to try removing the HDD from the boot order entirely.
> > Failing that, it's reinstall the old hardware and try something else.
> >
> > --
> > Ian

Ian;
Slipstream SP-2 into your Windows XP CD:
http://msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235&catid=1&highlight=slipstream
That will eliminate the error message caused because the CD has an earlier
SP than what is installed.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]