Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2005 7:50:13 PM

Hi,

what does the BIOS POST Code "FF" mean on Tyan Tiger K8W (S2875)
mainboards?

Some days ago my Radeon 9600 Pro started to flicker now and then.
Unplugging the monitor-cable and reattaching it seemed to resolve
the issue.
But yesterday after some hours the screen went completely blank
without a warning. So I thought the Radeon might be defective.
I installed an old Voodoo 3 PCI graphics card to check what is
still functional. Surprisingly the Windows XP Hardware-Manager
as well as the Linux tools (lspci and alike) still seem to
properly recognize the Radeon so I supposed it is not totally
defictive at all. I even can start XFree86 using the Radeon but
the screen stays black. The Radeon was removed and I wanted to
use the Voodoo 3 card until I can get the Radeon repaired or get
a replacement card.

But when I switched the computer on today it did only show a blank
screen on the Voodoo 3 Card, too. Even worse it does neither beep
nor boot. So I removed everything but the power supply, one of the
two Opteron 240 and the graphics card. Two other power supplies were
tested, too, but the screen stays black.

Normally the mainboars shows its current state on a small two-
digit display on the mainboard so one can tell what is wrong by
looking into the user manual's appendix where all the hex-codes are
listed.

But in this case the mainboard keeps showing a "FF" BIOS POST Code
right from the start and does not run throught any other states
like normal. One more thing is that it now simply ignores the power-
switch attached to the mainboard. As soon as the power-supply is
switched on, the board does power up and activate all fans. But
that's it - switching power on, showing "FF" and nothing else
happens.

Now the "FF" code seems to be the only one not documented in the
user manual so I do not know what went wrong.

If anyone knows if this is a known issue that can be resolved, please
help.

Regards,
Tony

More about : bios post code tiger k8w

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 3:12:09 AM

exect same issue with Tyan s7002, error code "FF", No preboot beeps, Monitor is not turning on even with built-in VGA. couldnt find error code "FF" in manual.

did you find any resolution to this issue? please reply.
a c 80 V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 3:36:53 AM

"FF" on most boards means the board has successfully completed all POST operations and ready to start the OS load.......
On others, and this may be your problem guys, it means there is a power problem somewhere. I have had a PSU go bad once that lit everything up on the board, and spun the fans, but it would do absolutely nothing else.

VooDoo card? Holy cow how long has it been since I ran one of those.....I can't even remember! But I know I had one, or maybe even 2 of them way, way back when......
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2009 5:14:33 PM

jitpublisher said:
"FF" on most boards means the board has successfully completed all POST operations and ready to start the OS load.......
On others, and this may be your problem guys, it means there is a power problem somewhere. I have had a PSU go bad once that lit everything up on the board, and spun the fans, but it would do absolutely nothing else.

VooDoo card? Holy cow how long has it been since I ran one of those.....I can't even remember! But I know I had one, or maybe even 2 of them way, way back when......

Thanks for quick reply, I've submitted Tech support request to Tyan. I'll let you guys know, how it went.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2009 12:04:44 AM

I had the same problem on the S7002 Tyan board. I fixed this by taking out the battery for about 10 secs and then put it back in again. Give it a try...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2010 5:56:16 AM

same FF error, no beeps (Tyan s7002g2nr-le motherboard)
I paid shipping and handling to send the Motherboard to Tyan and they send it back to me stating that Motherboard has no problems. when I tried to start the motherboard with XION PSU it still has the same problem. dont know what to do. please reply.

I have XION PSU that shows FF on motherboard, I even tried Corsair PSU but with that PSU motherboard will not even start (no beeps, no fans, no error code, no powered hard drives, nothing).
January 24, 2010 2:10:24 PM

Hi

I have recently bought a 'Tyan S7002AG2NR, Intel 5520, S1366 x2, PCI-E (x16), Triple DDR3 1333MHz, SATA 3Gbps, SATA RAID, CEB' I have 2 'Xeon E5520, S1366, Gainestown, 2.26 GHz, 5.86GT/s QPI, 8MB Cache, 17x Ratio, 80W' installed with 8 gig of DDR 3 Ram.

I knew to get this system to work i had to buy another power supply, 1000 watts needed as per the manual, and this worked fine.

Here is my problem, the whole board loaded the OS fine (Windows 7 Premium) so once this was all working i thought i would try my old graphics card from my machine (Nvidia GF-9800-GT-DUAL-DVI-HDTV+HDCP-DDR3-1GB).
So i fitted the Graphics Card to the motherboard, connected the 6 pin power to the power system, hit the turn on button on the outer case, and it all starts off. The Led character readout changes from its normal boot up codes to 'FF', and i am unable to get it to put a video image back on my monitor even with the board taken back out.

I am going to get a replacement board but reading the forum it appears they send it right back explaining nothing is wrong. I believed the ‘FF’ code was power related, and i know the recommended amount is 1000watts, but i wonder if the graphics card used more, perhaps a 1200watt power supply may help, but even so, with the board taken out it should power up as per its usual cycle, but NO the 'FF' code remains. I wonder if fitting this card broke something?????

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, otherwise i am switching from Tyan to Asus ASAP.

PS. This system has been bought with this intention to render 3D Studio Max renders far quicker for a competition in May, and my time is running out. DOH!!!

Cheers

Alex
January 29, 2010 11:44:45 AM

Try reseating your ram. Check that it is the correct ram type and size. Also clear the CMOS if that dose not work. My board dose this now and again when the CMOS settings are invalid or the ram is in the wrong parity.
February 14, 2010 6:35:05 PM

Hi Kstrife

Do you know if a graphics card can work on this? I know it has the PCI express slot, but i suspect now the graphics card i was using was faulty and therefore caused the problems from the start.

Do you have a graphics card plugged in and working, if so please can you details the spec?

Cheers Alex
August 9, 2011 5:02:14 PM

Hi there, I'm having the same trouble. Code FF and with 2 x Xeon E5520 CPU and 2 x 4GB RAM. I thought it might have been the PSU so i bought a 1000watt but still the same code, no beeps and no picture, Did anyone have any luck getting in touch with Tyan?

Cheers guys
Scott

mac0199 said:
[...]

November 19, 2011 1:33:04 PM

Hello Alex,

Did you solve your problem?

I am having the same issue with a Tyan S7002 and 2 Xeon E5520.

I managed to configure everything and set up the system. Thoug when I attached the Frontpanel cables it reseted and it gives me now the FF code. The fans turn once and then stop.

I resetted CMOS, pluged everything out and still the same issue.

I would really appreciate your help or anyones else. As I am stuck here between deadlines and desperately need the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Fran

June 2, 2012 4:53:52 PM

frankiller said:
Hello Alex,

Did you solve your problem?

I am having the same issue with a Tyan S7002 and 2 Xeon E5520.

I managed to configure everything and set up the system. Thoug when I attached the Frontpanel cables it reseted and it gives me now the FF code. The fans turn once and then stop.

I resetted CMOS, pluged everything out and still the same issue.

I would really appreciate your help or anyones else. As I am stuck here between deadlines and desperately need the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Fran

hello, i would like know if you solve your problem.

Best regards