Authenticate as computer when computer information is avai..

ivo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004

I have 802.1x EAP/TLS working for users but not for computer...
For testing purposes, I set some EAPOL registry key called Authmode to 2,
thereby forcing machine authentication only.
When I then try to connect, the wireless notebook shows "validating
identity" and this goes on forever. No reject/accept messages in the IAS log,
nothing in the IAS system event log. The AP is Linksys WAP54G and has almost
no logging feauture. THe IAS is a service of the SBS 2003 does-it-all server.
I have requested user and machine certificates.

I think of getting another AP make to compare, but maybe there are other
things to check?

Thanks,
Ivo

ivo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004

While the notebook keeps "validating identity", an event has entered the
notebook system event log telling "Your computer has automatically configured
the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00042373B8D6. The
IP address being used is 169.254.116.247". I think this ruins all chances to
get to our 10.0.0.x internal network. Note that with user authentication all
goes well.

"Ivo" wrote:

> While the notebook keeps "validating identity", an event has entered the
> notebook system event log telling "Your computer has automatically configured
> the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00042373B8D6. The
> IP address being used is 169.254.116.247". I think this ruins all chances to
> get to our 10.0.0.x internal network. Note that with user authentication all
> goes well.
>
> "Ivo" schreef:
An IP of 169.254.x.x indicates that your not connecting to the DHCP server.
Double check your settings for the connection and hardware. You won't be
able to connect with the notebook until you have a valid IP from the DHCP
server.
At a command prompt type:
ipconfig /release #this will drop your current IP
ipconfig /renew #this will attempt to connect to the DHCP server and get an IP
ipconfig /all #this will show you the information for your connection

If you still have an IP of 169.254.x.x then your setup on the laptop is not
correct for connecting to your network, or you have bad hardware.