S2895 problems

Is anyone having problems with S2895 detecting sATA disk drives?

We have three boards, 1 works and 2 do not.

The config is, S2895, 2 x 248 opteron, 4 x 1GB RAM, 4 x 200GB seagate
sATA HDDs, PCI-Express 6800Ultra Graphics. S2895 BIOS v 1.00.2895

We have NVidia RAID enabled in BIOS, and the sata channels enabled as
RAID channels.

During POST, the configure NVidia RAID prompt does not show.

If we install a PCI-x card in any of the slots, the NVidia RAID prompt
does show, but does not detect drives.

We have changed every component imaginable, but still no joy

It's very weird, and Tyan don't beleive us.

beto

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you are. I have tried just
about everything under the sun to no avail. Among them I changed the
bios to the newest one I could find (courtesy of "P4Northwood" over at
2cpu forum) and nothing!

Have you tried contacting Tyan or Nvidia?

Please let me know if you find a solution.

In article <1111597250.868532.326640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<john-www@avantedigital.com> wrote:
>Is anyone having problems with S2895 detecting sATA disk drives?

Yup, just got one in today, and am having the same problem :(

S2895 (BIOS 1.00.2895), RAID disabled, 2 x Opteron 246, 4 x 512MB
RAM, 1 x 250GB WD2500SD SATA HDD, PCI Express nVidia 6600GT graphics.

Neither the BIOS, WinXP x64, Linux, nor NetBSD see the drive. I
even tried installing XP x64 onto a PATA drive and installed the
latest drivers from nVidia, and it still didn't see the SATA drive.
I tried plugging the drive into an Adaptec SATAConnect 1205, and
it detected the drive, so I'm pretty sure the drive is fine.
--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: khym@azeotrope.org | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /

One thing you can try is connecting just 1 drive. My drives (Barracuda
7200.8 300GB SATA) were setup as raid from the store and I didn't want
them in raid. So I disable RAID but for some strange reason the drives
would still show as 1 drive in XP64 setup, so I just disabled 1 drive
and install, then enabled the other. I know you have to load the raid
drivers first when you try to install.

In article <Dan7e.1509$nh1.1311@okepread03>,
Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org> wrote:
>In article <1111597250.868532.326640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> <john-www@avantedigital.com> wrote:
>>Is anyone having problems with S2895 detecting sATA disk drives?
>
>Yup, just got one in today, and am having the same problem :(
>
>S2895 (BIOS 1.00.2895), RAID disabled, 2 x Opteron 246, 4 x 512MB
>RAM, 1 x 250GB WD2500SD SATA HDD, PCI Express nVidia 6600GT graphics.
>
>Neither the BIOS, WinXP x64, Linux, nor NetBSD see the drive. I
>even tried installing XP x64 onto a PATA drive and installed the
>latest drivers from nVidia, and it still didn't see the SATA drive.
>I tried plugging the drive into an Adaptec SATAConnect 1205, and
>it detected the drive, so I'm pretty sure the drive is fine.

Tyan tech support asked me to send my board in for them to take a
look at, and they found the problem... it was my fault :( The case
I'm using, an XClio, has 6 of these conical mountain things on the
motherboard tray that take the place of the brass motherboard stands
(it does have additional holes for brass stands if you need them).
5 of the 6 match up with holes on the motherboard, but one doesn't;
that one knocked a component off the bottom of the board and shorted
stuff out.