Cannot burn to CD when using backup

I installed my burning software then reinstalled it again. Using other
software I have no trouble burning DVD's or CD's in any of my drives. The
problem occurs when I want to use the Windows Backup utility to backup my
system to CD.

Thinking that my installation of Windows may have been a problem I
reinstalled it and realized that XP only support integrated CD burning. Even
so I cannot backup to CD.

With MY COMPUTER open, when I insert a blank disk into my DVD burner the
COMPUTER icon for drive F: goes from DVD-RW to CD.

When trying to use backup to make a System Restore disk I go to the advanced
tab and choose the drive and file name of where I will back up to. Then when
I hit the backup button I get the following message:

"The backup file name could not be used
E:\Backup.bkf
Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access"

Well I am the administrator account and the only account so I'm sure access
is not a problem

I ended up backing up to a folder on my hard drive, and from there I should
be able to copy it to CD or DVD, but I want to make sure my system is working
properly and so should be able to backup directly to CD.

Like I said, the drives work fine, I have software that will burn with my
drives, the only problem seems to be Windows.

"Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Nydrre" <Nydrre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed my burning software then reinstalled it again. Using other
> software I have no trouble burning DVD's or CD's in any of my drives. The
> problem occurs when I want to use the Windows Backup utility to backup my
> system to CD.
>
> Thinking that my installation of Windows may have been a problem I
> reinstalled it and realized that XP only support integrated CD burning.
Even
> so I cannot backup to CD.
>
> With MY COMPUTER open, when I insert a blank disk into my DVD burner the
> COMPUTER icon for drive F: goes from DVD-RW to CD.
>
> When trying to use backup to make a System Restore disk I go to the
> tab and choose the drive and file name of where I will back up to. Then
when
> I hit the backup button I get the following message:
>
> "The backup file name could not be used
> E:\Backup.bkf
> Please ensure it is a valid path, and that you have sufficient access"
>
> Well I am the administrator account and the only account so I'm sure
access
> is not a problem
>
> I ended up backing up to a folder on my hard drive, and from there I
should
> be able to copy it to CD or DVD, but I want to make sure my system is
working
> properly and so should be able to backup directly to CD.
>
> Like I said, the drives work fine, I have software that will burn with my
> drives, the only problem seems to be Windows.

Like Ted said the XP backup program will not back up to a CD........unless
you use a CDRW and format it first.There are programs for this ..Nero's INCD
is one but there are others
Then XP will treat it like any other HD and backup will work.You just have
to watch the size of the backup to make sure it fits on one CDRW.
Or you can backup to a HD and then burn to a CD
hope this helps
peterk

the problem

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:21:32 -0600, "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net>
wrote:

>Like Ted said the XP backup program will not back up to a CD........unless
>you use a CDRW and format it first.There are programs for this ..Nero's INCD
>is one but there are others
>Then XP will treat it like any other HD and backup will work.You just have
>to watch the size of the backup to make sure it fits on one CDRW.
>Or you can backup to a HD and then burn to a CD
>hope this helps
>peterk

Using NTBackup, it is highly unlikely that you can backup your entire
system partition, then write it to CDR(W). It will create a file that
will be WWAAYY to big for the disc. NTBackup won't allow you to
create a number of smaller files that will span discs.

To do this, you need a third party app.

Personally, I prefer imaging software over backup software. It's
faster and in many respects easier to use if you experience a
catastophic system failure.

Ditto on imaging software, which is the computer user's best friend. I image
to a second hard disk daily and to DVD weekly. I backup my critical user
folders monthly (and sometimes more often), as a second line of defense
against problems with the images.

FWIW, I use Ghost 9.0 for 'set it and forget it' imaging and Easy Media
Center 7.5 for backing up. Other people hate Ghost, and prefer True Image or
BING for imaging. There is almost no limit to the number of backup programs
available.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."