motherboard replaced - but no boot!

In follow-up to an earlier thread titled "Replacing a motherboard...?"

Not going so well.

I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
ram... and now I have nothing.

The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
idling pc.

No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.

ANy suggestions what to do from here?
I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.

I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.

Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
situation?
7 answers Last reply
More about motherboard replaced boot

    Does the new MB have a four wire plug next to the main ATX power plug? If so
    you need a power supply with this matching plug to power the CPU.. I just
    went thru same problem. An older PS does not have this plug.. Hope it
    Helps... Fnash

    "Michael 23" wrote:

    > In follow-up to an earlier thread titled "Replacing a motherboard...?"
    >
    > Not going so well.
    >
    > I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
    > over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
    > ram... and now I have nothing.
    >
    > The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
    > improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
    > power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
    > cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
    > something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
    > idling pc.
    >
    > No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
    >
    > ANy suggestions what to do from here?
    > I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
    > pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
    > replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
    >
    > I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
    > flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
    >
    > Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
    > situation?

    thought I replied but it hasnt shown up - sorry if this ends up as
    double post

    It is the exact same board (the old one is 2+years old, worked fine
    until I left it in the garage through a very cold winter)

    Even on the bench, with just psu, ram, cpu/fan & monitor connected to
    onboard video, I get nothing... fans spin, but no beeps at all.

    I am thinking perhaps they did just send a bad board.
    also wondering if perhaps the cpu is to blame - but it worked fine in
    the other machine, just had problems booting, and the onboard lan went
    out, which made me suspect mobo errors... but once the old machine was
    booted up, it would run forever, which makes me think the CPU was fine.
    How can I tell?

    I suppose I will bite the bullet and send the board back as RMA - can't
    believe they make me pay the return postage!

    Thanks for all your help. I have no idea what else could be causing
    this, and I am running out of patience.

    Michael, is it the same type motherboard that you had previously? Try
    reseating the Video Card and CPU if that's Ok, could be they sent you a
    defective Board. Any Beeps on startup?
    "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In follow-up to an earlier thread titled "Replacing a motherboard...?"
    >
    > Not going so well.
    >
    > I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
    > over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
    > ram... and now I have nothing.
    >
    > The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
    > improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
    > power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
    > cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
    > something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
    > idling pc.
    >
    > No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
    >
    > ANy suggestions what to do from here?
    > I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
    > pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
    > replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
    >
    > I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
    > flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
    >
    > Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
    > situation?

    Michael, sounds like it's either the CPU or the Motherboard. If you were
    experiencing the same problems before you replaced the board then it could
    be the CPU all along. Anyway you could test these components, CPU, Video
    Card etc.?
    "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In follow-up to an earlier thread titled "Replacing a motherboard...?"
    >
    > Not going so well.
    >
    > I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
    > over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
    > ram... and now I have nothing.
    >
    > The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
    > improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
    > power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
    > cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
    > something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
    > idling pc.
    >
    > No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
    >
    > ANy suggestions what to do from here?
    > I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
    > pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
    > replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
    >
    > I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
    > flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
    >
    > Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
    > situation?

    Hi Rich - I got my hands on an identical working processor, put it in
    the board, and had same problem.Then tried my cpu in a working mobo,
    just fine...
    ( I also tested / swapped the cmos battery, and tried different ram...
    no results)
    so I have determined that in fact it IS the board, and I will be doing
    that RMA in the morning.

    Turns out there is a neighbor in my small town with - no joke - over
    200 pc's in all states of disrepair in his shop. He must have hundreds
    of motherboards stacked and piled all over the place, and he gave me a
    comparable speed mobo/cpu combo for testing... and both work, and he
    said I can just have 'em.
    Geesh - if I had only known..

    So now it just comes down to one decision... do I return the board for
    refund/credit, and rebuild the machine with a different mobo/cpu combo,

    OR do I go for an exchange and hope that the next one actually works,
    and thus be able to do as I originally planned, which was to swap the
    mobo for the exact same model with no issues. and just keep on
    truckin...

    What would you do?

    Michael, I would try another Motherboard from the OEM that's been
    sending them to you. Main reason is that your WinXP on your hard drive is
    not going to like the different board and cpu combo. XP will be looking for
    the devices and
    drivers from the old MB and it could be a nightmare. IF the next board
    doesnt work then it might be worth doing a clean
    install of XP and using the MB/CPU combo that guy gave you. Either way
    good luck. What's the motherboard make and
    model?
    "Michael 23" <zionblue@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In follow-up to an earlier thread titled "Replacing a motherboard...?"
    >
    > Not going so well.
    >
    > I ordered the replacement board from arsenal pc, changed everything
    > over from the old mobo to the new, all jumpers the same, same cpu &
    > ram... and now I have nothing.
    >
    > The power works - it comes on instantly with a press of the switch (an
    > improvement already), but that is all I get. No video, just a flash of
    > power to the monitor when the psu flips on, and then all is dark, The
    > cpu fan is spinning, the 'hd activity' led comes on for a bit, as if
    > something is happening, but then I have nothing at all, just a dark,
    > idling pc.
    >
    > No bios screen, no errors - just nothing.
    >
    > ANy suggestions what to do from here?
    > I called tech support at arsenal - the only realy suggestion was that I
    > pay an additional $7.50 to ship the mobo back to them for
    > replacement... which I hate to do before trying everything on this end.
    >
    > I already tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, and I have
    > flashed the CMOS as per the troubleshooting guide.
    >
    > Is there anything (besides a defective mobo) that would cause this
    > situation?

    Thanks, Rich, for the reply.

    It is a Soyo K& VEM PRO. And your explanation perfectly echoes my
    thinking... the whole point of this mess was to swap the same exact
    mobo and reboot as if nothing had happened. (Otherwise I would have
    bought another brand and done the reinstall and all related settings
    right off the bat, but I was trying to 'save' time and trouble...
    figures it would end up a hassle that takes twice as long!)
    Oh well... live and learn, eh?

Motherboards Windows XP